cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING: nvlddmkm.sys BSOD

PipJones
Level 8
Hi,

GPU: ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING. This is in an 10900X / Strix X299-E II system.

I have been having issues with a random Windows 11 BSOD naming "nvlddmkm.sys" as the culprit.
- occurs when using windows 11, no pattern
- occurs in gaming, only tested with WZ so far.

I have not been able to spot a pattern yet. Fresh install of W11, latest nVidia drivers etc. No software overclock application installed for GPU.

The problem appears to go away when I run the card in "normal" mode (i.e. the physical overclock switch on the card is "Off").

Is anyone else out there getting BSODs with this card?

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the physical OC would induce a BSOD?
52 REPLIES 52

1/You can try to check if your windows disk image does not contain corrupted files with this command in the command console in administrator mode: Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth

More info about Dism: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

2/Launch an sfc/scannow in the windows command console in administrator mode.

PipJones
Level 8
Yes, I have done the DDU thing, even done the fresh W11 install etc.

My current focus is reducing maximum GPU speed

IIINikolaiIII
Level 7
My system never had any issues with win10, but also Halo and FH5 i have only played on win11. Underclocking the card by 90mhz has stopped the crashes so i'm starting to think i have a bad gpu that can't even handle the factory oc. I will try some of the other fixes you have provided though if they help without needing to underclock.

PipJones
Level 8
What was your card boosting to?

What should it boost to?

My card

https://rog.asus.com/uk/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx3080-o10g-gaming-model/...

It is only supposed to hit 1935 MHz

It was hitting 2040 MHz

IIINikolaiIII
Level 7
Shows on page 1875 as boost clock.. mine hits 1980mhz

PipJones
Level 8
That's interesting.

Me: 2040 - 1935 = 105
You: 1980 - 1875 = 105

Both of our cards appear to be boosting 105 Mhz above their listed values.

IIINikolaiIII
Level 7
I did a fresh install of windows and installed the new studio drivers that just came out. Downloading games atm. If the same issue continues i'm just going to RMA the card.

IIINikolaiIII wrote:
I did a fresh install of windows and installed the new studio drivers that just came out. Downloading games atm. If the same issue continues i'm just going to RMA the card.

Do you have AIDA64? Would you be willing to run some FH5 benchmarks, log the results and send them to me?

If so, can you run

1) Run 15 mins of FH5 benchmark tests with the "out of the box" settings (i.e. no overclock or underclock)

2) Apply the following "overclock" settings using nVidia inspector and run the same tests again
a) Minus 30 on "Base clock offset"
b) Set power and temperature target to 110%

PipJones wrote:
Do you have AIDA64? Would you be willing to run some FH5 benchmarks, log the results and send them to me?

If so, can you run

1) Run 15 mins of FH5 benchmark tests with the "out of the box" settings (i.e. no overclock or underclock)

2) Apply the following "overclock" settings using nVidia inspector and run the same tests again
a) Minus 30 on "Base clock offset"
b) Set power and temperature target to 110%

I do have AIDA64. What do you mean by logging the results? Nvidia inspector on the other hand is a program i am not familiar with, but i can use afterburner to adjust the clockspeed.

IIINikolaiIII wrote:
I do have AIDA64. What do you mean by logging the results? Nvidia inspector on the other hand is a program i am not familiar with, but i can use afterburner to adjust the clockspeed.

That's great, thanks for doing this. I will DM you my e-mail address.

I think all the overclocking tools work the same way. My preference is NVI (nVidia Inspector) because it does not need installing.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

In AIDA do:

File -> Preferences

And then select the "Logging" option, should be 5th one from the bottom.

This will activate the panel on the right hand side. You select a location to save the logs to and what you want logging. Please select CSV, not HTML.

Try and log all the "interesting" stuff, like clock speeds, utilization etc. Plus everything you can related to GPU.

Launch AIDA just before you launch FH5, close it when done. This will keep the log files tidy.

AIDA will generate a summary and a detail log, It would be cool if you can send both.

If you really fancy going for it, try and grab some "clean" logs (no crashes) and if / when BSODs.