cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4090 OC White Black Screen/Driver Crash

iamlox
Level 7

Got this card from MicroCenter on 04/12 and also bought  ROG Thor 1200 Platinum II at the same time. 

The issue happnes when I was playing or finished playing some games, my monitor screen will go back and then recover in like 10 or 20 seconds. Then I could find those entries in Event Viewer.  This does not happen to all games. When I was playing NBA 2K11 and Trine 4, it works fine. When I was playing Borderlan3, PUBG and Read Dead Redemption 2, it always happens. Before I upgraded to this card, I had ROG Strix RTX3090 OC White Edition which works fine.

Videocard Driver Recover 2.JPGVideocard Driver Recover 3.JPG

Searched online and realized that this does not happen to me only. Here are some links. It seems that some design issue with voltage/frequecy. However some users reported this only happens when pc is idle. The issue only happens to my PC when I play games/finished playing games.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/massive-rtx-4090-problems-driver-or-hardware.1801381/#post-2905029...

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/yuqhag/rtx_4090_black_screen_issues/

There is a solution in those post that the video card won't crash if I changed power management to prefer max performance in Nvida control panel. I tested and it works. However I believe this is not supposed to be the solution of this issue since I did not change anything when I was using RTX3090. 

My PC specs are here:

12900K/ ROG Z690 Formula, Corsair 16GBX2 6200, ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4090 OC White, ROG Thor 1200 Platinum II

VBIOS has been upgraded to v2.1 and mobo BIOS is 2204.

I am not sure this is hardware issue or software issue. Software issue can be fix by future BIOS update/new drive. It is still eligible for return for refund based on Micro Center return policy.  I really need some advice on if I should return it but this card is really hard to find though. Please advise.

13 REPLIES 13

drop4205
Level 12

what driver version are you running from nvidia?   Did you install driver from nvidia or thru asus update page? Is this windows 10 or 11?

Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Thank you for your reply. 531.68 is the driver I am using now which is the latest one. I downloaded directly from Nvidia website and I am using Windows 10 22H2.

rckrz6
Level 7

I am having the same exact issue, card crashes when exiting heavy 3d applications after about 6 seconds...  I exhanged my first strix 4090 for this issue, and now the second one has developped this issue after a couple weeks.   I had a 4090 FE for awhile and it did not do this.  Setting power management to prefer max performance is a work around but the card does not downclock.  I am ready to pull my hair out, i have  $2000 paper weight

Unfortunally i dont have the FE anymore as i thought i had a good working strix card now

I have tried multiple power supplies, first card failed in a z690 msi carbon, second card failed in a z790 msi carbon,

i have a strix z790e but have no tested it  yet as amazon shipped me a board with physical damage

I bought the card from newegg, they don;t allow returns only exhanges, maybe ill chat with them and i can try a different brand im so getting so annoyed

Thank you for your reply. You mentioned that you exchanged your strix 4090 and the second one has developped issue after a few weeks. Did you update nvdia driver in those few weeks or it is the same driver? The reason I do not to want to set power management to prefer performance is the same reason like your. I really do not want to the keep the card at highest clock at all times which is not the way how video card is supposed to work. But I am not quite sure if future BIOS/driver will fix this issue. Do you believe I should just return this one and buy it again when MicroCenter has it in stock? Thanks again.

I changed out my mainboard and reinstalled windows and started having the issues shortly after, ive tried multiple drivers with no luck.  I have that asus board comming today ill try that and update you

Im going to watch for an FE again i guess I do not want to try a 3rd card ive lost all faith

rckrz6
Level 7

i chat with newegg they are going to refund me

Thank you for letting me know. I will probably return mine to MC as well since it is not worth paying 2200+ dollar and go through those hassle.

Update i swapped out my board to the z790  strix - e  

I cannot get this card to crash now lmao.. Im gonna keep trying though

BissiJoy
Level 8

Are you getting nvlddmkm failed BSOD error?