cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 4090 fans

XGZiDeus
Level 9
Hello ROG

Purchased a brand new ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X (https://rog.asus.com/us/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx4090-o24g-gaming-model)

On its official website (link above), under Reverse Rotation and 0dB Technology it says "All three fans come to a standstill when GPU temps are below 50 Celsius, letting you play less-demanding games or perform light tasks in relative silence."

However, mine behaves differently. Even on idle the fans are at a constant 1000 RPM. No aps opened, no browsers, no games. Idle temps are 30-32 deg C.

FYI - All four 8-pin connectors have been attached. GPU is running stock. Should I only connect three to disable this behavior? Do I need to install a software to control the GPU fans?

How do I fix this?
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Install GPU Tweak 3 and retest.

If still not functioning; please confirm the idle core frequency, and also what monitors are connected to the system
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

XGZiDeus
Level 9
Thanks for your insights @Silent_Scone@ROG

I found the solution in an unlikely place. It turns out that the NVidia CP settings for power management was still set at "preferred max performance". I switched it to normal and it fixed the problem. I imagine your suggestion would have worked as well.

My idle clock is 210MHz and currently only one monitor - ROG XG349C

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

No worries. Yes, there's a TDP tip-off point where the fans will kick in. With Maximum Performance set, this was likely being breached
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090