cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3080Ti Strix OC With terrible Coil Whine

GanjaHouse
Level 7
I am very disappointed with the top model ROG Strix 3080 Ti.
I have had to return 4 GPUs because the coil noise was unbearable and it ruins any positive experience in my gaming sessions.

I have tried to block the frames, with 2 new Dark Pro 1200 and Corsair Hx1000I power supplies, all the equipment is relatively new and under warranty.
I am now testing the Msi trio and the Evga Ftw3 Ultra and they have much less coil noise.

I wanted the Strix but I don't think I'm going to ask for any more, the 4 that I've tried have a lot of crickets 😞
6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

"Coil" whine or inductor noise is a natural phenomenon.

1) PSUs produce their own coil whine. How much depends on the quality, type, specs, and size of the components used.

2) The graphics card also produces some coil whine. Again, how much depends on the quality, type, specs, and size of the components used.

3) Interaction between the PSU and graphics card can result in louder coil whine.

4) Coil whine is related to frequency and current.

5) Rapid changes in current demands (such as rapid load modulation when transitioning from low power state) is a major contributor to piezoelectric noise (some capacitor types are more prone to this).

6) As ripple frequency and other sources of power related noise can impact the level of coil whine, some combinations of psu and graphics cards may exhibit more noise than others. For a vendor, it is very difficult to account for all permutations because cost is a factor if you want to increase resilience to coil whine. There is only so much a vendor will or can do.

7) As current plays a part, the amount of audible whine will vary from system to system.

As a comparison, I have a Trio X here and a TUF 3080Ti. The Trio X produces significantly more inductor noise than the TUF in my system.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I wanted to try the TUF but it is not in stock there are only the ones that I have mentioned, I will keep the FTW3

GanjaHouse wrote:
I wanted to try the TUF but it is not in stock there are only the ones that I have mentioned, I will keep the FTW3

Perhaps the points above weren't clear enough. My example inferred that different combinations of hardware will induce different levels of coil whine. Ergo, I could use the Strix in my current system and not experience the same level of noise.

What specific card produces the least comes down to a multitude of reasons, some of which are listed above.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Perhaps the points above weren't clear enough. My example inferred that different combinations of hardware will induce different levels of coil whine. Ergo, I could use the Strix in my current system and not experience the same level of noise.

What specific card produces the least comes down to a multitude of reasons, some of which are listed above.

I have already tried 2 new power supplies and with the same result.
Then I try 2 other gpu's from another manufacturer and it doesn't produce CW.
In my opinion it is not a problem with my system.

An Online UPS helps to mitigate this problem? I understand that you mean the electrical energy of the house?

GanjaHouse wrote:
I have already tried 2 new power supplies and with the same result.
Then I try 2 other gpu's from another manufacturer and it doesn't produce CW.
In my opinion it is not a problem with my system.

An Online UPS helps to mitigate this problem? I understand that you mean the electrical energy of the house?

There are more than two OEM of PSU on the market, the above points are still valid.

Yes, a UPS can induce coil whine as well as reduce it, too.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
There are more than two OEM of PSU on the market, the above points are still valid.

Yes, a UPS can induce coil whine as well as reduce it, too.

I agree. I have the ROG Strix 3080 Ti O12G and its the quietest setup that I ever heard. I use the Corsair RM850.

This is however always going to be a controversial topic. Sorry if it is really bad on your setup or you just caught a lemon ...