cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA 980Ti Poseidon, Fingers crossed

DefiantReaper
Level 7
Well I just sent out my GPU last night and it should be received at the repair facility this morning. Here's the details...

My gpu was working until it hit load (started up fallout 4) and my computer started turning off and on simultaneously to protect itself again my deadly gpu. Which was sparking on the back side in between the pcie slot and gpu fan plug/header (ON GPU)

Why are my fingers crossed? Because before I tested my 980Ti I took off the back plate to finish my build theme and therefore "broke" my screw temper sticker.. as shown...

This is what my build was... now currently waiting on asus to hopefully send me a correctly working $700 video card! I saw somewhere on the ASUS website while doing a RMA it states for gpu
"Must return with original heatsink or considered damaged"
So I'm assuming that asus is lenient like evga and msi on warranties.

All I know is that if ASUS doesn't honor the warranty.. they will lose me for life.. and I always buy expensive hardware.
26 REPLIES 26

Nate152
Hi DefiantReaper

Nice Rig !

I like the choice you made, not sure if you're aware but the 20th anniversary gold has the LN2 pins you can solder to unlock the voltage too. I did it with my matrix platinum 980 Ti but it's useless on air. It's a tedius task soldering them I needed a magnifying glass.

Soldering the pins will void the warranty.

DefiantReaper
Level 7
I am definitely interested in soldering them once I get my waterblock, hopefully next week 🙂

Where are the pins that I need to solder located?

And thanks Nate152

Nate152
After soldering the pins you'll want to enable the LN2 bios, there is a tiny switch up near the SLI fingers. You'll have to use GPU Tweak with unlocking the voltage, it's the only gpu tool that works with unlocking the voltage.

DefiantReaper
Level 7
So if I solder the pins the memory heater will automatically activate?

Is it very minimal heat I'm assuming?

Nice pic BTW

DefiantReaper wrote:
So if I solder the pins the memory heater will automatically activate?

Is it very minimal heat I'm assuming?

Nice pic BTW

The memory Heater is activated when you switch it (see lower right in the image with the instructions MEMORY HEATER and above is ON ->)

Nate152
There are four pins two to unlock the voltage and LN2 mode and two for the memory heater. You won't need to use the memory heater if just using a waterblock.

Solder the two pins right above "Enable LN2" is all you need to do, if you were using liquid nitrogen then you'd want to do the heater. Enabling the LN2 bios makes temps jump up 10c - 12c and once the gpu temp hits 70c it will throttle to 700MHz - 800MHz.

DefiantReaper
Level 7
Oh I'm far from looked after. They sent me a faulty 20th gold edition and I've been waiting for ANOTHER replacement.

The asus 980ti 20th anniversary gold had no display 😕

You need to call them everyday for a rma status update.

Shameful on asus how terrible their RMA service is. At least in the US.