cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resizable BAR VBIOS Update Question

PavelPr
Level 9
Hello everyone,

I now see that the long-awaited Resizable BAR VBIOS for ASUS 30-series boards has been released. I own a TUF-RTX3090-O24G board that has dual (P/Q) BIOS. Does anyone know whether I have to update each mode separately, or perhaps the update would apply to both of them at once?

Additionally, multiple sources online state that updating VBIOS is rather risky, and I am somewhat concerned. Has anyone applied the update yet? Was everything okay?

Thanks a lot!
19,545 Views
39 REPLIES 39

upsnef wrote:
exact same thing here
Strix Z490-G wifi and a Strix RTX 3080 , both are uodated to latest bios of today
same blank screen ansd debug led stuck on VGA
after activated Resize Barr in bios

simply reset bios with jumper then boot but unnable to activated Resize Barr




As mentioned above, take a look at the guide over on Edge UP. https://edgeup.asus.com/2021/guide-how-to-enable-resizable-bar-on-your-asus-powered-gaming-pc/

Take note of the mention of disabling the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) within the UEFI, along with the clause of the impact on legacy MBR Windows installations.


Be sure you're using an official VBIOS, too. Some users have opted to cross flash in the past which may cause some issues.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
As mentioned above, take a look at the guide over on Edge UP. https://edgeup.asus.com/2021/guide-how-to-enable-resizable-bar-on-your-asus-powered-gaming-pc/

Take note of the mention of disabling the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) within the UEFI, along with the clause of the impact on legacy MBR Windows installations.


Be sure you're using an official BIOS, too. Some users have opted to cross flash in the past which may cause some issues.



I have the same problem with z490-g (non wi-fi) bios 2005 and an EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3. If i turn on above 4g, resizable bar and disable CSM with the updated vbios, my pc is stuck in booting process.

GPU bios 1 (updated with resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + disabled CSM = black screen
GPU bios 1 (updated with resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + enabled CSM = normal boot
GPU bios 2 (without resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + enabled CSM = normal boot
GPU bios 2 (without resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + disabled CSM = normal boot

I already had the same problem with the same motherboard and bios (2005) using an AMD RX 6800, but asus support told me that resizable bar on intel motherboards only work with nvidia gpus.

Strayed wrote:
I have the same problem with z490-g (non wi-fi) bios 2005 and an EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3. If i turn on above 4g, resizable bar and disable CSM with the updated vbios, my pc is stuck in booting process.

GPU bios 1 (updated with resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + enabled CSM = black screen
GPU bios 1 (updated with resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + disabled CSM = normal boot
GPU bios 2 (without resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + enabled CSM = normal boot
GPU bios 2 (without resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + disabled CSM = normal boot

I already had the same problem with the same motherboard and bios (2005) using an AMD RX 6800, but asus support told me that resizable bar on intel motherboards only work with nvidia gpus.


The second configuration ("GPU bios 1 (updated with resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + disabled CSM = normal boot") seems to result in normal boot, and that's the proper configuration. Did I misunderstand something?

PavelPr wrote:
The second configuration ("GPU bios 1 (updated with resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + disabled CSM = normal boot") seems to result in normal boot, and that's the proper configuration. Did I misunderstand something?


No, you understand it correctly. There are numerous posts all over reddit that also report that CSM enabled = black screen, it has to be disabled if you want to have ReBar options turned on (and so you need your Windows install to be in UEFI mode with a GPT boot device rather than MBR)

PavelPr wrote:
The second configuration ("GPU bios 1 (updated with resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + disabled CSM = normal boot") seems to result in normal boot, and that's the proper configuration. Did I misunderstand something?


sorry, I wrote it wrong

GPU bios 1 (updated with resizable compatibility) + enabled above 4g + auto resizable bar + disabled CSM = black screen and with enabled CSM i have a normal boot.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
As mentioned above, take a look at the guide over on Edge UP. https://edgeup.asus.com/2021/guide-how-to-enable-resizable-bar-on-your-asus-powered-gaming-pc/

Take note of the mention of disabling the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) within the UEFI, along with the clause of the impact on legacy MBR Windows installations.


Hey,

Is there a regression with these new V3 vBIOSes?

The change log for the previous vBIOS (V2) states that it "Fixed motherboard "beeping" bug during computer start-up". I seem to sometimes be having this now, after flashing to V3. The computer would go on and boot correctly, but the white light on the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero would remain on until the computer is rebooted.

The post code is as though the computer did not detect a screen (one long beep followed by three short ones), despite the screen being connected (but off). To avoid this, I have to turn the screen on (ASUS PG43UQ) before the computer. This did not happen on the previous vBIOS.

Thanks!

nexaus wrote:
I flashed my 3080 tuf oc in the overclock mode and when rebooting I just got a black screen.

I switched the card to quiet mode and it would boot. I then flashed the bios again here and sadly when I rebooted I just got a black screen.

Pulled the card out and put it back in again to see if it would help but no.

Is there any way to load the bios onto a usb stick and make it boot up on this and run the bios by itself?


i had the same problem when i trying to flash my strix 3090 oc, i fixed issue with switching display port to another. ps: i still dont know last i used the dp will run fine or not.

One more thing when i flashed bios on performance mod it flashes only performance mod bioses. then manually i switched to quite bios then flashed for quite mod.

thank the god both of them works normally.

This s..t card price in turkey more than 5000 usd. flashing bios gets me really nervous.

kheopstr wrote:
i had the same problem when i trying to flash my strix 3090 oc, i fixed issue with switching display port to another. ps: i still dont know last i used the dp will run fine or not.

One more thing when i flashed bios on performance mod it flashes only performance mod bioses. then manually i switched to quite bios then flashed for quite mod.

thank the god both of them works normally.

This s..t card price in turkey more than 5000 usd. flashing bios gets me really nervous.


Given the exact same updated vBIOS file is being flashed to BOTH the Q_BIOS and P-BIOS, did you check that the fan speeds and temp targets are still retained for their respective BIOS? Or are now BOTH BIOS settings identical after the flash?

Thanks for checking.

DMAN406 wrote:
Given the exact same updated vBIOS file is being flashed to BOTH the Q_BIOS and P-BIOS, did you check that the fan speeds and temp targets are still retained for their respective BIOS? Or are now BOTH BIOS settings identical after the flash?

Thanks for checking.


That's not precisely accurate. The vBIOS update executable (RTX3090_V3.exe) bears, in fact, a self-extracting archive that contains 17 different ROM files (presumably for different cards and modes). That archive also contains other executables, DLLs and drivers that are presumably needed to apply the vBIOS update.

I would find it reasonable to assume that the unified executable program also selects the correct ROM for the installed card and mode.

At any rate, after having updated both P and Q modes for my TUF-RTX3090-O24G, I can see different BIOS versions for each mode (94.02.42.00.B3 and 94.02.42.00.B4). This has lead me to believe that the flashing procedure executed correctly for both modes.

As a suggestion to ASUS, I would make it clear, on the vBIOS download page, that where cards that have Dual BIOS functionality are concerned, separate flashing would be required to apply the vBIOS update to both P and Q modes.

PavelPr wrote:
That's not precisely accurate. The vBIOS update executable (RTX3090_V3.exe) bears, in fact, a self-extracting archive that contains 17 different ROM files (presumably for different cards and modes). That archive also contains other executables, DLLs and drivers that are presumably needed to apply the vBIOS update.

I would find it reasonable to assume that the unified executable program also selects the correct ROM for the installed card and mode.

At any rate, after having updated both P and Q modes for my TUF-RTX3090-O24G, I can see different BIOS versions for each mode (94.02.42.00.B3 and 94.02.42.00.B4). This has lead me to believe that the flashing procedure executed correctly for both modes.

As a suggestion to ASUS, I would make it clear, on the vBIOS download page, that where cards that have Dual BIOS functionality are concerned, separate flashing would be required to apply the vBIOS update to both P and Q modes.


Thanks for your input. I absolutely agree that it would be of immense help if (for dual BIOS cards) ASUS made it clear what procedure exactly is required for each BIOS.