cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomly Shutting Down and Coming Back Live With a Dotted Blank Screen / TUF OC RTX 4070 ti

MentaLSuicide
Level 7

Hello,

I have quite a few issues with my card and how I have to solve them please bear with me.

- GPU Issue: After running without a problem, for 3 months, my GPU began randomly shutting down while in use. I assume it's not actually 'shutting down' because the red led indicator doesn't glow when it happens. It basically disconnects from the monitor, a blackout. The error is not consistent. Never sure when will that occur. It happens while gaming or just sitting on the desktop. After restarting, the GPU may or may not run. My computer is running fine, if I plug my Display Port cable into my motherboard's slot, it has integrated graphics, and will just reboot fine. I even can play some low req. games with it.

*** When the blackout happens and I restart the PC, after the ROG mainboard screen (I have an Asus motherboard, and my monitor and connections are just fine) a blank screen with some random greenish dots appear on the screen. I didn't change anything with my rig. Didn't even move it until the blackout began to happen daily at random times. I have been using the rig for almost a year and had a different NVIDIA card before which I have upgraded from.

The other great issue is RMA - Repair or whatever. I bought the card when I was in the US, from Bestbuy and I now am in Europe. I will be back in the US but I will be traveling and not going to stay more than 3 days at any location. If they want to send it back to the manufacturer I just don't have the time.  I have video proof of what's going on but you know, it's basically just a video of a blank screen with green dots, and also my rig working fine with the motherboard's graphic unit. I am up for anything at this point. Replacing the card, store credits, or upgrading the card with me paying extra. I just want this faulty card out of my hand.

ps: Any kind of help/guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.

pps: Last night it happened again while I was on the desktop. After a couple of tries, my GPU decided that it was time to work with no issues again and I was able to run Diablo IV for 5 hours straight.

3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

the green dots would suggest artefacting which would indicate either the card is faulty or not correctly inserted. If using a riser cable please remove and attach the GPU to the PCIE port, try on different ports where possible.

If no joy, unfortunately, you will need to contact ASUS service for your region upon your return to the US 👍

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

From your suggestions, the only remaining possibility is a faulty card.

I am not using anything extra for connection, the card is where it should be without extensions. The only support I am using is the screwdriver-support pen that came with the box which was positioned smoothly when I was installing the card. And again these crashes are random, happen without touch and get back to normal without interaction after sitting unused for a random amount of time.

Also, here is a picture of what happened, sorry it was clipped from the video that I captured to have as proof since the problem may or may not show itself at any given time.WhatsApp Image 2023-06-06 at 12.38.20 (1).jpeg

It would appear to be an issue with the GPU, yes. Before initiating an RMA, see if you can get a local system integrator to test the card for you on a different machine - but I suspect it is the GPU at fault.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090