cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problematic DisplayPort output during UEFI/BIOS/POST screens

brantgurga
Level 7
It is unclear if the issue is ultimately a graphics card issue, monitor issue or motherboard issue but it's certainly an interaction of components, all of which are ASUS:
Motherboard: rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi
Graphics Card: rog-strix-rtx3060-o12g-v2-gaming
Monitor: VG248QG

Relevant configuration is that the monitor be connected via display port to graphics card.
Relevant UEFI configuration is that compatibility support modules is off.
It happens with two different VG248QC monitors.
It does not happen with HDMI output (this makes displayport relevant)
It does not happen with monitors connected to motherboard displayport output. (this seems to make the graphics card relevant)
It does not happen with a HP 24mh monitor. (this is the factor that makes the monitor relevant)

During the problematic output, the monitor indicates it is getting a 640x3321@14Hz signal
In this configuration, the display output during the UEFI/BIOS/POST screens is incorrect but once the Windows driver takes over, it is fine.

So far Asus support keeps giving me canned responses like updating drivers... that are absolutely irrelevant.

Example problematic output where you see the ASUS/ROG Post logo tiled several times across the screen instead of one clear image.

7 REPLIES 7

diogogmaio
Level 7
brantgurga wrote:
It is unclear if the issue is ultimately a graphics card issue, monitor issue or motherboard issue but it's certainly an interaction of components, all of which are ASUS:
Motherboard: rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi
Graphics Card: rog-strix-rtx3060-o12g-v2-gaming
Monitor: VG248QG

Relevant configuration is that the monitor be connected via display port to graphics card.
Relevant UEFI configuration is that compatibility support modules is off.
It happens with two different VG248QC monitors.
It does not happen with HDMI output (this makes displayport relevant)
It does not happen with monitors connected to motherboard displayport output. (this seems to make the graphics card relevant)
It does not happen with a HP 24mh monitor. (this is the factor that makes the monitor relevant)

During the problematic output, the monitor indicates it is getting a 640x3321@14Hz signal
In this configuration, the display output during the UEFI/BIOS/POST screens is incorrect but once the Windows driver takes over, it is fine.

So far Asus support keeps giving me canned responses like updating drivers... that are absolutely irrelevant.

Example problematic output where you see the ASUS/ROG Post logo tiled several times across the screen instead of one clear image.

Have you found a solution?
I am facing the same issue.

diogogmaio wrote:
Have you found a solution?
I am facing the same issue.

No solution. Asus is absolutely incompetent about the issue and won't acknowledge it. If they acknowledged it, it'd be different, but they RMA my card three times and it's not addressed. I gave up on Asus acknowledging the issue and ever addressing it. Even if it's an issue in the base Nvidia card or in the UEFI code of the board, it's ultimately their responsibility as the OEM to convey the issue to Nvidia or American Megatrends. However, they talk about drivers in their responses so they are fundamentally not comprehending the issue and aren't taking the time to try to address the issue. All the relevant parts are Asus too so they can't play the blame game and blame another company. Motherboard, display card, and monitors are all Asus. I've seen the same CSM interactions that others mentioned and I've seen interactions with the RAID function being on or off, so I think there's something going on where UEFI code is allocating or running differently based on configurations and the resulting display port negotiation can be bad and the refresh rates are out of spec during the UEFI portion. Once the Windows driver takes over, it's good. So despite having tried RMA'ing the card a few times, I think it's really a motherboard/UEFI issue based on what triggers the issue. But it should be Asus's job to do such diagnosis and they just aren't doing it.

BillBittel
Level 12
How could this have anything to do with a driver when you are in the Bios? Maybe you could try to get a tech you tuber to take up this issue - Gamers Nexus will sometimes get involved with issues like this and can actually get large companies like Asus to get off their butts and deal with it. Asus TPM modules having out-of-date firmware with known security issues is another example and the motherboards that were catching on fire due to a capacitor being installed backward. Asus tried very hard to ignore that problem until it hit the tech airwaves.

I recall that there is also a way to send service problems like this straight to the President's office, which often gets results quickly.

diogogmaio
Level 7
This is actually a known issue even in other brands. I have the same issue with an ASUS monitor with a MSI SUPRIM X 3080 ti.
Other brands like EVGA simply made a vBIOS updated that solved the issue.
I am still waiting for MSI to do it.
Nothing works besides either re flash the card with a different brand vBIOS or simply change the monitor.

CptClay643
Level 7

The issue is only the monitor. I brought a different monitor into my setup and plugged the DP cable that was running to this ASUS monitor into my HP Envy 34c monitor for the initial boot test and that worked flawlessly even after turning off the power supply, draining the capacitors and switching it back on again. But even with the BIOS issue, I’m still gonna keep using the VG248QG because of G-Sync compatibility. 

bmcbride1991
Level 7

Looks like this might be a monitor issue i have 3 of the same monitors all doing the same thing with the resolution only boot/bios 

see my post here

Asus Strix 4090 OC Artifacts on Boot/Bios - Republic of Gamers Forum - 947329

beeble1980
Level 7

Essentially the same issue here. I have a Ryzen 5700G on a B550M-A, rx-6600 with three of those 75hz Acer monitors- fully updated chipset and bios and the only way to visually access bios is to plug a dvi to VGA converter into the onboard outputs... onboard HDMI is no good. I have reconfigured my set-up into all possible ways, messed with tpm settings, reflashed, all no good. No help from ASUS and no one seems to have a good solution. This is dumb.