cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poseidon 980Ti not compatible

paddler
Level 7
I have just been made aware of a build mistake on my part. I have the Maximus VIII Extreme mother board and purchased the Poseidon Platinum GeForce GTX 980Ti. Unfortunately I now find that of the two Poseidon cards available I bought the one not compatible with the selected mother board. Naturally, I bought components and didn't conduct the build for moths later so am not able to return and exchange the graphics card. So not being experienced and computer savy I am looking for a way ahead. So some questions for the learned group here.
First, is there any way to find out if the this card might be made compatible by Asus in the future.
Has anyone any suggestions for me for a way ahead other than by buying the compatible Poseidon card .

Thanks for your attention to my problem.
25 REPLIES 25

paddler wrote:
Chino,
My specs are as follows; Cooler Master HAFX case; Corsair H100i cooler; Corasir AX1200i PSU; Intel i7-6700k CPU; Asus maximus VIII Extreme motherboard; GSkill Tridentz DDR-4 3400 PC4-27200 memory; Asus Poseidon Platinum Geforce GTX980Ti-P-6GD5 GPU; Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB for OS Win 10 64 bit; Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB; plus other assorted SSD/HDD; Asus 16X Blu Ray Writer.
Downloaded and upgraded BIOS to 1402X64 Build Date 01/07/2016. First set the GPU in the upper slot nearest the CPU PCIEX16X8_1. On request of ASUS tech I then re-positioned down one slot to PCIEX4_2. I have never touched nor checked any switches for the PCIE slots as I don't even know where to look. I have installed Win 8.1 then upgraded to Win 10. I confirm, I only have the one GPU and no other PCIE slots are occupied. Both power cables are connected to the GPU and the white LEDs at the connection points show when the system is powered on. All drives are showing up in both the BIOS and Win 10.

Thanks.

What I would do is test each GPU in the PCIe 3.0 x16/x8_1 slot individually to make sure each one is working properly on their own. Have you done so?

Vlada011 wrote:
Chino that's EKWB Predator 360 with 980Ti Poseidon and Maximus VIII Extreme?

That's correct.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
PCIe lane selectors

Try the card in these slots...1st and 3rd...i.e x16 and x8 slot

I would try a separate PCie power cable to each PCIe power connector...not a ribbon cable that connects to both....and try some different cables your PSU comes with more than one...just in case.

Disconnect monitor from onboard graphics and connect to GPU and clear cmos.

I presume you have 24pin ATX as well as 8pin and 4pin ATX power connected? Do you have the EZ plug connected at the bottom of the board (should not really be needed...just asking)...

Thanks Arne,
I do have two separate power cables to the GPU, not a ribbon cable, and as I say the LEDs seem to indicate that the power is functioning. I do have the 24 pin and 8 pin at the top of the board connected but not the 4 pin next to the 8 pin at the top. Is the 4 pin essential? I do not have the EZ plug connected. What does clear cmos do?
Thanks.

I did locate the PCIe x 16 lane switches last night. They were on but I will switch them off and then on again just to check.

Nate152
Hi paddler

Yeah don't be confused the 980 Ti Poseidon is compatible with the maximus viii extreme, if it's not showing up in the bios that could be a sign that it's defective.

Double check you have two 8 pin pcie power cables connected and it's completely seated in the 1st pcie x 16 slot. Make sure the pcie lane switches on the motherboard are set to on.

Vlada011
Level 10
Chino that's EKWB Predator 360 with 980Ti Poseidon and Maximus VIII Extreme?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm pretty sure things work better with all power connections populated...so yeah...and your PSU has the cables for it.

Clear CMOS resets the board/BIOS and works small miracles sometimes;)

paddler
Level 7
Update
Thanks everyone for your recommendations and advice. I have tried all your suggestions. All possible power connections have been added but no joy. I do not have a separate GPU to install in an attempt to determine if the likelihood for the problem is the mother board or GPU. So I am now down to taking the whole machine into a computer shop for them to diagnose the problem. I will do that on Monday and then keep you apprised of the outcome so that you also know what caused the issue.

Vlada011
Level 10
Two GPU, two PSU are necessary things in house.
I don't know how people with such expensive systems don't keep some GTX580, GTX680, GTX780 in
house just in case and 750W PSU to test if something is suspicious. I'm always short with money for hardware but I didn't want to sell backup GPU because similar situation, it's much easier than RMA and you don't know what to RMA.
Anything to die now in my PC, mobo, GPU, CPU, memory for 30min I'm in game again. Not so good system as now, but i7, Z77, DDR3 and I could easy to see where is problem.

Set in BIOS Primary Display - PEG instead Auto and than connect Poseidon.

Hi Vlada011,
My last upgrade was a Rampage II Extreme with a Geforce 285 GPU and 850 PSU. This was my dream machine and expected to be the last full upgrade. I still have the old machine functional. I did not believe that the 285 would be compatible with this motherboard so have not tried to install it to see if it is a PCIE slot issue. This is my first real build on my own so I do not have a lot of experience and computer tech savy to try and understand the information that I should from what is happening to be able to resolve the problem. At this stage I just feel that taking it into a trusted shop will cut down on the delay in getting this resolved. I will try your suggestion on the BIOS Primary Display change.

paddler
Level 7
Hi Vlada011,
My last upgrade was a Rampage II Extreme with a Geforce 285 GPU and 850 PSU. This was my dream machine and expected to be the last full upgrade. I still have the old machine functional. I did not believe that the 285 would be compatible with this motherboard so have not tried to install it to see if it is a PCIE slot issue. This is my first real build on my own so I do not have a lot of experience and computer tech savy to try and understand the information that I should from what is happening to be able to resolve the problem. At this stage I just feel that taking it into a trusted shop will cut down on the delay in getting this resolved. I will try your suggestion on the BIOS Primary Display change.

Vlada011
Level 10
Yes try that and try to disable Internal GPU iGPU if such option in BIOS exist.
I suppose that we miss some little detail. You should check with GTX285 just in case.
That's old card, more is problematic when motherboard model and BIOS are old and new graphic card.

Good luck, you choose excellent parts and best Z170 motherboard on market and excellent graphic card.