cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poseidon 980Ti not compatible

paddler
Level 7
I have just been made aware of a build mistake on my part. I have the Maximus VIII Extreme mother board and purchased the Poseidon Platinum GeForce GTX 980Ti. Unfortunately I now find that of the two Poseidon cards available I bought the one not compatible with the selected mother board. Naturally, I bought components and didn't conduct the build for moths later so am not able to return and exchange the graphics card. So not being experienced and computer savy I am looking for a way ahead. So some questions for the learned group here.
First, is there any way to find out if the this card might be made compatible by Asus in the future.
Has anyone any suggestions for me for a way ahead other than by buying the compatible Poseidon card .

Thanks for your attention to my problem.
25 REPLIES 25

Nate152
Hello paddler

How is the Poseidon platinum 980 Ti not compatible?

If they are both Poseidon platinum 980 Ti's I would think you could use them both in the maximus viii extreme.

Vlada011
Level 10
ASUS Poseidon is compatible with all ASUS boards build last 3-4 years. It's compatible and on much older boards but sometimes because older BIOS don't want to show picture. And Poseidon will be compatible with all ASUS motherboards in next 5 years.
Only because color fit nicer with Rampage 5 Extreme and Matrix fit nicer with Maximus but that's not important visual details.
Poseidon and all graphic cards on market are PCI-E graphic cards and they are compatible with all PCI-E motherboards.
Best compatibility is when motherboard is not older than 3-4 years than graphic card but in most case will work and on much older.

Chino
Level 15
paddler wrote:
I have just been made aware of a build mistake on my part. I have the Maximus VIII Extreme mother board and purchased the Poseidon Platinum GeForce GTX 980Ti. Unfortunately I now find that of the two Poseidon cards available I bought the one not compatible with the selected mother board. Naturally, I bought components and didn't conduct the build for moths later so am not able to return and exchange the graphics card. So not being experienced and computer savy I am looking for a way ahead. So some questions for the learned group here.
First, is there any way to find out if the this card might be made compatible by Asus in the future.
Has anyone any suggestions for me for a way ahead other than by buying the compatible Poseidon card .

Thanks for your attention to my problem.

The GTX 980 Ti Poseidon works fine on the Maximus VIII Extreme as that's the configuration that I'm using.

Chino wrote:
The GTX 980 Ti Poseidon works fine on the Maximus VIII Extreme as that's the configuration that I'm using.

Chino, thanks for your reply you give me hope. Just to confirm: the card I own is the Asus Poseidon Platinum Geforce GTX 980Ti-P-6GD5 which is not listed on the Maximus Extreme VIII approved vendors list. The list does approve the Asus Poseidon GTX980-P-4GD5. My motherboard does not recognize the GTX980Ti. I have downloaded the latest Maximus Extreme VIII Bios. I attempted to load the drivers from the disk that accompanied the GTX980TI but they would not load. I have attempted to load the latest Nvidia drivers off their web site but it does not recognize the card.

What did you do to make the GTX980TI work on your system?

I am absolutely stunned that my card isn't compatible with the motherboard. I believed that the only difference between the cards was that the one that I purchased was overclocked and had 2 more GB of memory. Am I wrong?

I am really hoping to make this work as I believe the card will will do great things for me.

paddler wrote:
I am absolutely stunned that my card isn't compatible with the motherboard

paddler...all the people in the thread have been telling you and I'll repeat: The GPUs are 100% compatible with the board.

Don't confuse a list that may be outdated with anything to do with compatibility. Manufacturers don't/can't qualify every product on the market...that's all.

If your GPUs don't work it's not compatibility....

How are you powering the cards? What PSU do you have? have you got all PCIe power connectors connected?

Hi Arne,
I have been getting confusing responses from Asus tech support so I just wanted to clarify particularly with CHINO that it is the exact model of Poseidon that he has functioning. After receiving all the response last night I called ASUS Canada support by phone twice, before my contact was by chat, and discussed the problem with them. The first time I was talked through some BIOS changes and nothing worked. I was assured at that time that the card was indeed compatible. I was then asked to change the PCIE slot that I had the card installed in. That would take time so we ended that call and I made the change in installation. It did not work. I called back the same tech support and of course had a different person, but my case number had a record of all of the details. After many delays for reference to experts I was told once again that the card was not on the "list" of approved cards. At that stage I made reference to this forum and thread specifically CHINO and his response. I asked very direct and specific questions re why two similar cards were "so different" in compatibility etc. Net result I was told that my problem was being handed off to the technical support group who would contact me by email and that my case would be held open until the issue was completely resolved.
The responses here have given me hope as did my first phone call. I remain convinced that the card is indeed compatible, I just need it to work.
My PSU is the Corsair AX1200i. lots of power and everything else is working fine. Two LEDs by the two power connections on the GPU are white and the ROG logo flashes red so the card is powered. When I enter the BIOS / EIFIS the motherboard does not show any GPU as present. My monitor is connected to the on-board graphics via display port and works fine.
Frankly I am beginning to think that the GPU may be defective. I do believe the information I am getting here and I am grateful for it. Glad for anymore help.

Rick

paddler wrote:
Hi Arne,
I have been getting confusing responses from Asus tech support so I just wanted to clarify particularly with CHINO that it is the exact model of Poseidon that he has functioning. After receiving all the response last night I called ASUS Canada support by phone twice, before my contact was by chat, and discussed the problem with them. The first time I was talked through some BIOS changes and nothing worked. I was assured at that time that the card was indeed compatible. I was then asked to change the PCIE slot that I had the card installed in. That would take time so we ended that call and I made the change in installation. It did not work. I called back the same tech support and of course had a different person, but my case number had a record of all of the details. After many delays for reference to experts I was told once again that the card was not on the "list" of approved cards. At that stage I made reference to this forum and thread specifically CHINO and his response. I asked very direct and specific questions re why two similar cards were "so different" in compatibility etc. Net result I was told that my problem was being handed off to the technical support group who would contact me by email and that my case would be held open until the issue was completely resolved.
The responses here have given me hope as did my first phone call. I remain convinced that the card is indeed compatible, I just need it to work.
My PSU is the Corsair AX1200i. lots of power and everything else is working fine. Two LEDs by the two power connections on the GPU are white and the ROG logo flashes red so the card is powered. When I enter the BIOS / EIFIS the motherboard does not show any GPU as present. My monitor is connected to the on-board graphics via display port and works fine.
Frankly I am beginning to think that the GPU may be defective. I do believe the information I am getting here and I am grateful for it. Glad for anymore help.

Rick

Paddler, can you list your complete system specifications for me? Also please indicate which PCIe slots you're using for your GPUs.

Chino,
My specs are as follows; Cooler Master HAFX case; Corsair H100i cooler; Corasir AX1200i PSU; Intel i7-6700k CPU; Asus maximus VIII Extreme motherboard; GSkill Tridentz DDR-4 3400 PC4-27200 memory; Asus Poseidon Platinum Geforce GTX980Ti-P-6GD5 GPU; Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB for OS Win 10 64 bit; Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB; plus other assorted SSD/HDD; Asus 16X Blu Ray Writer.
Downloaded and upgraded BIOS to 1402X64 Build Date 01/07/2016. First set the GPU in the upper slot nearest the CPU PCIEX16X8_1. On request of ASUS tech I then re-positioned down one slot to PCIEX4_2. I have never touched nor checked any switches for the PCIE slots as I don't even know where to look. I have installed Win 8.1 then upgraded to Win 10. I confirm, I only have the one GPU and no other PCIE slots are occupied. Both power cables are connected to the GPU and the white LEDs at the connection points show when the system is powered on. All drives are showing up in both the BIOS and Win 10.

paddler wrote:
On request of ASUS tech I then re-positioned down one slot to PCIEX4_2. I have never touched nor checked any switches for the PCIE slots as I don't even know where to look.

PCIe lane selectors

Try the card in these slots...1st and 3rd...i.e x16 and x8 slot

I would try a separate PCie power cable to each PCIe power connector...not a ribbon cable that connects to both....and try some different cables your PSU comes with more than one...just in case.

Disconnect monitor from onboard graphics and connect to GPU and clear cmos.

I presume you have 24pin ATX as well as 8pin and 4pin ATX power connected? Do you have the EZ plug connected at the bottom of the board (should not really be needed...just asking)...