cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low ASIC rating on a Matrix Platinum GTX 780ti - no binning?

niczo
Level 7
I just recently got my hands on a Matrix 780ti, and to my dismay it has an ASIC rating of 66% and thus is quite a poor overclocker on air cooling. I have to turn the voltage up to the maximum firmware allowed of 1.213V to run stable at 1150Mhz (GPU Boost sets it between 1150 and 1215 depending on application), and the temps will quickly escalate past 80C making it pretty loud on top of that.

Is there no binning process involved at all with these premium cards, or are they paired with high-leakage GPUs on purpose with sub-ambient cooling in mind? I've not yet spotted an ASIC rating higher than 75% for this card on the interwebs, makes me suspicious.
10 REPLIES 10

Mitchilled
Level 7
Have you tried switching it to LN2 mode? I've also got some pretty low overclocks on this card 😞 makes me sad.

Mitchilled wrote:
Have you tried switching it to LN2 mode? I've also got some pretty low overclocks on this card 😞 makes me sad.

Switching BIOS to LN2 mode does nothing for your OC, you still have to short some pads on the card for it to take effect. Then you can raise the voltage on GPU Tweak to something as high as 1.8V.

niczo
Level 7
No, I haven't tried that. It wouldn't make a difference though, at 1.212V I still wont be able to reach more than 1150Mhz. I don't plan on raising the voltage further, would just be detrimental to lifespan.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
As far as I know nobody who actually knows what ASIC % really means, has explained it in detail. "ASIC quality" is just what GPUz mistakenly calls this metric. From OC results and ASIC numbers around the web it seems pretty meaningless to try and correlate performance with this number.

I have a Titan Black (pretty much same chip) and it too gets 1150base/1242 boost out of the standard Nvidia voltage allowance....I think that's a good OC!:D

Those cards are factory OCd closer to their limit (1006/1072) than a standard card starting at base 875...so the difference to their ceiling is deceptively shorter and "your OC" less but that doesn't mean they are performing badly in any sense.

That is a nice card as I'm sure you'll come to realise 😉

niczo
Level 7
Arne Saknussemm wrote:
As far as I know nobody who actually knows what ASIC % really means, has explained it in detail. "ASIC quality" is just what GPUz mistakenly calls this metric. From OC results and ASIC numbers around the web it seems pretty meaningless to try and correlate performance with this number.

I have a Titan Black (pretty much same chip) and it too gets 1150base/1242 boost out of the standard Nvidia voltage allowance....I think that's a good OC!:D

Those cards are factory OCd closer to their limit (1006/1072) than a standard card starting at base 875...so the difference to their ceiling is deceptively shorter and "your OC" less but that doesn't mean they are performing badly in any sense.

That is a nice card as I'm sure you'll come to realise 😉

I don't know what it means either on a technical level, only that it is a metric of voltage drops between GPU layers due to manufacturing imperfections. I've owned a dozen Nvidia cards and 3 AMD's since the developers of GPU-Z enabled readouts of this value, and in my experience it is a very strong predictor of potential overclocking range. A lower quality readout correlates with a higher base voltage required from factory, for example the lowest value on the slider in GPUTweak for my Matrix 780 ti is 1.142V, which is pretty high for a boost clock of 1070Mhz. Another side effect of a low ASIC quality is higher temperatures and reduced lifespan - even if you're just running the card at factory settings.

Vlada011
Level 10
My GTX780Ti is ASIC 68.9% and she boost on 1200MHz in benchmark test and new games on 1162V.
If she work only on base clock 1070MHz she work on 1000-1025V. That happen in some older games
if VSync is ON and card work on 50% for 60fps.
ASIC don't mean nothing, other people have same boost on ASIC 55-60%.
Highest I saw and highest I had is on reference cards.
Now I will build custom loop because case fans can't remove hot air from case, it's not problem for card only, she can work on 80C, but CPU temp increase for 15C and I keep overclocked on 4.5GHz and don't want to pass 60C in gaming. Because of that I keep panel opened.
Temps of everything are less for 10C than, try that, and temps will drop. They usually test on bench table and than say temps.

cravinmild
Level 11
Hmmm guess they only want post that don't hit close to home. Thanks for the delete mods.

Retired
Not applicable
What is ASIC?

WhitePaw wrote:
What is ASIC?

As far as I knew ASIC is the Australian Securities and Investments Commission