cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Issue] ASUS ROG RGB GTX 1080 Fan Goes full on at Desktop

illutian
Level 7
This seems to have just started recently. When I first got the card it would spin up/down the fan depending on the temps. I noticed the second I installed the ASUS GPU Tweak II software that the fan speed and Tach wasn't reported, but didn't think anything of it; buggy software was my thought.

However, months later the fan now kicks in to full speed (if I had to guess; it's audible now). At first I thought it was just a game messing with the system (the game requires admin rights to scan for hack tools running).

But, at the time of this post, I was just at the desktop scrolling through Google+ and the fan spun up for no reason. Yet, if I reboot the system the fan idles along just fine, until something triggers 'more than desktop use' graphical rendering (Chrome has hardware accel. enabled). Then it's back to 100% fan until the next reboot.

FYI: GPU Tweak II, MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision...none of these get any readouts from the fan nor can they control the fan speed. Even after a reboot. -- I remind readers that GPU Tweak II has NEVER reported the fan speed since day 1 of installing the card along with the software

So now I'm wondering if there's a problem with the card's sensors and it's defaulting to full speed as a safety measure. There's no crashing or other issues...the fan is just so damn loooud, and it doesn't need to be running at full RPM while at the desktop and the GPU temp is sub 40C.

GPU Temp: 38C (idle) - 70C (gaming)

EDIT: Oh, the GPU usage is right now at 3%, so doubt I a Bitcoin miner bot.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
If you look at the back of the GPU, you can see the power connector for the fans. Try disconnecting it and reconnecting it again. Then test your GPU.

I think you just saved my card..

SATA cable was pressing on the third fan (one near the fan and LED plug). Probably happened after installing a bigger SSD.

RPMs are now being reported...but that's also got me concerned that they choose to only monitor one of the fans for a RPM.. :S

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Hi illutuian

That's because the three fans spin at the same speed.

Well, my train of thought was what if the other fans fail. But I guess if any of the fans stop it would probably report 0 RPM...right, ASUS, you did think this through?? 😛

Nate152
Good question, I can't answer that because I haven't had any fans fail on me, I think if a fan did fail you'd probably notice it by a higher temperature.