cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal on GTX 980 Matrix

YunaDad
Level 7
I bought 2 of GTX 980 Matrix on New Egg and received on 27-Dec-2014

I have installed the correct driver and seems everything works find until I ran the 3DMark11

I tried SLI on 3DMark11 and first card reaches temperture of 90 degree in one minute then gave me the error message.

I try single card as well. Alo each card gave me error message when it reaches over 80 degree

As far as I know Matrix 980 reaches only maxmium of 66 degree when it fullload.

I never overclocked. I used the card as just out of box condition

Compare to my EVGA SC reference 980. It became worse. Since the temperture is way high than reference it put the boost clock down which effect the performance.

Has anyone have same issue?

Also I live in Australia and the cards are from NewEgg how can I get a warranty on Asus?

My Asus local service centre told me that these cards are only local warranty.

Should I contact the Asus US or NewEgg to get a refund? I am sick of Matrix now. Spent all my weekend holidays on these cards.

Never buy the ROG Cards again.
8 REPLIES 8

X-ROG
Level 15
Can you check to see if the fans are on correctly, and use ROG GPU Tweak monitoring to see if they are spinning up (to 100%?) during load.

What are you ambient case temps? What MB are you using - does the top card have space between the cards to breathe?

My mb is asus rampage extreme 5. The fan is working fine and when it reaches 90 degree it spin 100%.

I have open my side panel of my case when running the benchmark 3dmark11.

Since i am using rampage extreme 5 there are 2 slot space between 2 cards.

Please let me know if you need more information

here is my picture of my spec

also does gtx980 matrix not support nvidia led visulizer that in the geforce expreience?

I try to use led visualizer but it says i dont not have support card

other card such as msi gtx980 twin frozer 5 and gigabyte g1 gtx980 support led visualizer.

Melkor
Level 7
Greetings,

I'm owner of 2x Matrix 780Ti, from what I can tell You running these two cards in SLI with stock yet so nice looking cooler was a nightmare regarding of temperatures even with only factory overclock during longer gaming sessions - other components were hot as hell because of that too. Are You're talking about 66 degree or 69 as it's advertised on http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/MATRIXGTX980P4GD5/overview/ - because if nothing changed in fan and cooler construction then it's only marketing trick. I was fooled with 70 degree temperature on http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ROG_MATRIXGTX780TIP3GD5/ while in reality it was at 78-82 with single card depending on which game was running. With two cards temps were around 86 on top one and if I was overclocking VRM temp could ocasionally jump even to 120C with side doors open... I changed a little Your picture with arrows how hot air was blowing out of my gpus. You may try changing fan orientations on front or side door if fan is present but it won't totally solve the problem. It was not poor thermal paste or bad fan configuration in my case. If I was You I strongly suggest You return one of the cards if You still can and please don't make my mistake with running two of these on air cooling. One card is a beast, even my version of 780Ti Matrix - I'm still angry on myself I decided to buy second one because it caused me more problems than benefits. In the end I decided to watercool these two so it's at last cool and quiet but it costed me about 900-1000 euro to collect all liquid equipment.

Regarding led visualizer - do You want to change ROG power load indicator with it? If so then I'm afraid it's not possible, at least it wasn't on my Matrix. Maybe I'm not correct but led visualizer is working with stock "Titan" like looking coolers.

BTW. Sorry but I must ask - sweet SLI bridge, it's from DIY or it's available to buy?

Thanks Melkor. You are such a nice to telling me your expreience. Now I know that I am fooled by Asus about the temperature.

I have asked other guys on overclock.net forum and some guys 980 matrix temp was maximum of 66 degree. Thats why I belived that my cards has some problem. If the temp is high as these there is no point of using Matrix in SLI..I should go back to reference 980 sli.

I dont want to do custom liquid cool my system cause I change the graphic card alot.

From next time ROG matrix is out of my sight due to I only do SLI.

P.S: SLI bridge on the picture is I customised from NVIDIA SLI Bridge. You can buy the NVIDIA SLI BRIDGE from NVIDIA website and customise like mine.

Melkor wrote:
Greetings,

I'm owner of 2x Matrix 780Ti, from what I can tell You running these two cards in SLI with stock yet so nice looking cooler was a nightmare regarding of temperatures even with only factory overclock during longer gaming sessions - other components were hot as hell because of that too. Are You're talking about 66 degree or 69 as it's advertised on http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/MATRIXGTX980P4GD5/overview/ - because if nothing changed in fan and cooler construction then it's only marketing trick. I was fooled with 70 degree temperature on http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ROG_MATRIXGTX780TIP3GD5/ while in reality it was at 78-82 with single card depending on which game was running. With two cards temps were around 86 on top one and if I was overclocking VRM temp could ocasionally jump even to 120C with side doors open... I changed a little Your picture with arrows how hot air was blowing out of my gpus. You may try changing fan orientations on front or side door if fan is present but it won't totally solve the problem. It was not poor thermal paste or bad fan configuration in my case. If I was You I strongly suggest You return one of the cards if You still can and please don't make my mistake with running two of these on air cooling. One card is a beast, even my version of 780Ti Matrix - I'm still angry on myself I decided to buy second one because it caused me more problems than benefits. In the end I decided to watercool these two so it's at last cool and quiet but it costed me about 900-1000 euro to collect all liquid equipment.

Regarding led visualizer - do You want to change ROG power load indicator with it? If so then I'm afraid it's not possible, at least it wasn't on my Matrix. Maybe I'm not correct but led visualizer is working with stock "Titan" like looking coolers.

BTW. Sorry but I must ask - sweet SLI bridge, it's from DIY or it's available to buy?

Thank you,you are really good man.I also warried my matrix 980 temp.Single card will get 82'c while run Unity or WatchDogs ,its higher than 980 strix,so I was worried when those adv review told me that it should 67’c max....damn those marketing adv.

255killer
Level 7
This is terrible... I understand that the matrix has water and ln2 in mind but man. Asus shouldn't lie about temp performance with the cooler. I own a R9290x matrix and it stays in the mid 70s overclocked and the r9 290x is known to be a heater.
I always enjoyed owning Asus products and was waiting on the matrix 980 to be made but decided on 2 CLASSIFIEDS instead. The CLASSIFIEDS on air in Sli run 65 under load.

Claviger
Level 9
My Poseidon doesn't even get that hot on Air cooling only with raised clock speed to 1500 core.

There must be something wrong with your setup/cards/software reading. Leaving Matrix cards aircooled is like driving a ferrari with cruise control turned on at the speed limit... you can do it, but its a terrible waste of money.

Why should ASUS AUS take cards back you bought from the US?

Newegg clearly states you may return for refund within 30 days, and RMA process is clearly stated on their website.

Not Asus fault you cannot read the webpage you decided to make an international purchase from in regards to returns/exchanges.