cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a Strix GPU raises CPU temp?

Morisato
Level 7
Anyone notice an increase in maybe their system temp or cpu temp after installing one of these new gpus? Seems to blow the damn hot air towards the motherboard instead of out the back or the top. Maybe that's why I don't feel any air from the back at all.
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi Morisato

The ROG Strix gpu's don't exhaust heat out of your case, if your system/cpu temps are rising crank up your case fans a little.

You can hook your case fans up to the ROG Strix 1070 and control them with the gpu temp.

Interesting. Can I hook up my CPU fan to the gpu as well? Seems the mobo isn't maxing out my fans speed or something. Also, my case fans have 3 pins instead of 4. I am guessing I can put the 3 pin on any of the 4 pins being it left or right being left available correct?

Ah nvm, seems to be linked to your GPU fan speed and not the external fan speed instead?

Menthol
Level 14
Custom GPU's like this exhaust hot air into the case so you need good airflow to get rid of the heat, I would leave the CPU fan connected to the motherboard CPU fan header and either get higher airflow case fans or adjust the fans in the bios if your motherboard is capable

Menthol wrote:
Custom GPU's like this exhaust hot air into the case so you need good airflow to get rid of the heat, I would leave the CPU fan connected to the motherboard CPU fan header and either get higher airflow case fans or adjust the fans in the bios if your motherboard is capable

Ughh if only I knew this before going in. The Matrix never caused any heat issue on my cpu until the Strix. I have an open case as well so I guess that doesn't help with the cooling as well.

Pretty much the temp I get for stock heatsink + default clocks playing Doom, having Firefox open, and IE. CPU will stutter the game once it reaches 100c before it resumes normally until the next stutter which is every 2-4 minute intervals of smooth play. Strange thing is even if I blasted the GPU fan to 100%, the cpu temp stays the same high temp (was hoping full air blast would help lower the generated heat to the mobo).

Does everything look all right with the volts/rpm/temp (besides cpu)? Seems the RPM on the heatsink is low even at 100c but I have Q-Fan disabled on my old P6T Deluxe (holding out upgrade) which should make it have no fan speed limit no?

Nate152
I'd definitely be looking at another cpu cooler.

With Q-Fan disabled the fan should be running at 100%.

I'd get a new CPU Cooler. I have the H115i. It runs great. My cpu never goes over 45 under load and idles around 23-25 C. I also have an OCED STRIX 1080

Is that cpu fast enough for that gpu? I've got a 1060 on a 4790 and a 1080 strix on a 6700k

Installed a Noctua NH-D15S to replace Intel stock heatsink. These are the results on game load:

35C (stock), 45C o/c (idle) with 56C (load). A good -44C+ decrease in temperature.

Nate152