cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I believe this to be a Graphics Card failure! PLEASE HELP!

fbarros
Level 7
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I need a little help from the experienced guys in here, if possible. I'd thank a lot if i could get help. I know it's a long post, but i have to be very detailed.

My model is the G74SX- 3DE
Vcard: GeForce GTX 560M - 3GB ( with 3D integrated as said in the model)
Memory: 12GB RAM
HDD: 1.5TB

I'm Brazilian, living in Brazil, so support is a little bit difficult for me, but I'll try to solve this if possible.

Well, i have bought this laptop from Amazon a few months ago ( October, 2011) and I got very good reviews on it.
When i first got to feel the laptop, I was amazed by it's quality and looks, although it only lasted for about a month. On the first
week of use, I was already installing games such as ( Flight Simulator X, GTA IV, Call of Duty MW3, MW2, Black Ops, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, BMS 4.32 Falcon 4, some RPG games). It was amazing the performance on all these games, specially in 3D, i was having brain orgasms while playing.

But after about a month of use, i was playing GTA IV with my cousin, and the laptop started giving me trouble, that's when it all started...
The first thing that happened, was a quick screen freeze with some weird pink and green lines flashing on the screen and a little sound distortion. (while playing GTA IV and FSX)
(this quick errors lasted 2 - 3 days)
Then, it started getting worse. Not only it was blinking, but the screen would also go blank(black) and what ever game I was playing would crash, and by this time, there was no sound distortion but still green and pink lines flashing all over.
(this lasted a day or less)
Even worse, on the next day, while at boot up, when the windows 7 logo shows up, some weird GRAY rectangles would appear on the screen and some green lines would cover up the WHOLE screen, but the laptop booted up normally and i went back to the game but the same errors would happen( this time more often, to the point of annoying me)
(this also lasted for about a day or two)
The last thing that happened was the adding up of the gray rectangles, the green lines, and now the green lines were all over the screen even AFTER boot up, games would no longer start, Turbo Boost technology would keep crashing, i couldn't acess Nvidia control panel, and i couldn't see Nvidia Ge Force running at all on the computer
(at this point, i was freaking out like crazy, wondering what the hell happened to my 2.000,00 dollars laptop)

I have tried, local support( not available)
, solutions in google involving ( driver updates, BIOS updates, re-installation of everything possible)
, computer technicians ( didn't even know what the problem was about, seems like it's too advanced for BRAZIL)
, as last option i've tried formatting the computer with the RECOVERY file they provide in case you need to format your computer. (No success at all in any of these solutions)

For the looks of this problem i've got, it seems like a faulty Nvidia GeForce, reinforced by rumors and other guys having same issue, but none of them with the "symptoms" of mine ( the green and pink lines; grey rectangles...). So i was trying to find a solution before my dad takes it to the US to exchange for a new one or get it fixed since i still have 18 months of Warranty.

If anybody could at least tell me what this is about i could at least create expectations, if i can solve it my self with your tips, ill be more than thankful.

Here's a little peak on the boot up screen

5 REPLIES 5

Hyper
Level 8
I heard of this problem before with the GTX560 , I'm sure it had something to do with the drivers , have you tried to roll back the driver?

RonanC
Level 10
looks like driver corruption, does the windows boot up logo show as normal?

Hyper
Level 8
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-285.62-whql-driver-uk.html

This is the version 285 driver , download and install ( click custom and then click clean install ) 🙂

wolverine7074
Level 9
I had this problem with my laptop with the NVidia chip and it turned out that no matter what i did with the settings or the drivers it would not fix the problem. After messing with the laptop for a while and doing some reading online I found the chip was bad and I needed to peplace the motherboard on the laptop with a rev. B video chip and have not had a problem since. I have read that for some reason NVidia has had a problem with getting the chip correct the first time in many laptops and had to make a new version of a chip a few times. I remember reading that NVidia had a class action suit on them for the 8400GS chip in the Dell XPS M1300 laptop and were reqiered to replace the first gen chip under a recall. This I also had dealings with and the looks of your screen fits the problems and also all the problems you are having with games as well
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-8120 8 Core 3.1 GHz
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3
VGA: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti X2
Optical: Asus DVD Burner Combo Drive X2
SSD: Corsair Force SATA III 120GB
HDD: Seagate SATA III 1TB Storage
Cooling: Corsair H100 Hydro CPU Cooler
Case: CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced
PSU: Silencer Mk II 750 W

RonanC
looks like driver corruption, does the windows boot up logo show as normal?

it does show up as normal, though with the green lines across

Hyper
I heard of this problem before with the GTX560 , I'm sure it had something to do with the drivers , have you tried to roll back the driver?

I'm not really sure what "rolling back the driver" means but, I've tried upgrading all drivers as well as downgrading it to see if it was a new driver's glitch or something. No work.

wolverine7074
I had this problem with my laptop with the NVidia chip and it turned out that no matter what i did with the settings or the drivers it would not fix the problem. After messing with the laptop for a while and doing some reading online I found the chip was bad and I needed to peplace the motherboard on the laptop with a rev. B video chip and have not had a problem since. I have read that for some reason NVidia has had a problem with getting the chip correct the first time in many laptops and had to make a new version of a chip a few times. I remember reading that NVidia had a class action suit on them for the 8400GS chip in the Dell XPS M1300 laptop and were reqiered to replace the first gen chip under a recall. This I also had dealings with and the looks of your screen fits the problems and also all the problems you are having with games as well

Yea.. then I guess i'll have to replace it also, but does the Warranty cover that or will they make me pay another fortune for a new motherboard or new chip?

Thanks for the comments and help guys I appreciate the attention