cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guys please advice! Newly built PC with 2080 TI drastically failing on benchmarks

kingvijay2011
Level 7
My specs
Asus Rog RTX 2080 TI 11GB OC
I7 9700K
Asus Rog Maximus XI Hero Mobo
2*8GB Gskill trident Ram
Acer predator 144hz Monitor

It has been 7-8 days since i built my brand new Gaming PC. I right away started gaming on it with games like GTA5,Far cry 5,PUBG,Resident evil etc and everything went well on ultra and mostly high settings with over 100 Fps
when i started doing some benchmark on my PC ,I was shocked to see that My GPU is failing (under-performing)

User benchmark test : Every component of my system performed well with over 70-80 percentile except my GPU .My Gpu was in 10th percentile when compared to others its rating was (162%) when average was around 200 %

Ungine valley and heaven benchmarks :- This is where i was shocked to see all these tests (custom,basic extreme) were showing shaded red colors and artifatcs. I am not bothered to see the fps as all these tests were showing artifacts

3DMARK Time spy : I bought this software from steam and tested it .It gave me a GPU score of 6900 only.I googled and found in every other forum that 2080 TI owners are getting somewhere around 12000

All the above tests were done at STOCK settings only.I changed setting in my BIOS to xmp / defaults but still same Low scores and artifacts . I have MSI after burner and i check it and all the settings were at stock only like 0 memory clock and 0 boost clock for gpu.

Guys kindly tell me am i doing something wrong or is my GPU defective?? Do you suggest me to go for RMA or are there any troubleshooting steps that i can perform?? Kindly note that until now i did not find any problem in games.But its only 6-7 days since in built this PC
Any advice is appreciated
UPDATE : this is how it looks while playing PUBG now
https://imgur.com/XL5oSi1
10 REPLIES 10

kingvijay2011
Level 7
This is how it looks while playing PUBG

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would try a clean install of drivers after using DDU...

If that doesn't fix anything it does look like you'll have to RMA it...:(

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I would try a clean install of drivers after using DDU...

If that doesn't fix anything it does look like you'll have to RMA it...:(

Hi i have done a clean reinstall of Nvidia drivers using DDU.

It changed everything as of now. All red shading disappeared. Now i am able to do some benchmarks with valley and heaven.I also did a fire strike score of 25500 with 2080TI and 9700 k. I am very confused right now. It looks as if nothing has happened.My pc has got a score of 4650 in ingine valley benchmark. For All these tests the core clock was at 1750 Mhz and memory clock at 1800 mhz. ( I believe stock settings)Temperature did not cross 70C

Before becoming completely optimistic about my pc is there anything that i can do to safely test my GPU. ??

Any idea of why this actually happened to my gpu in just 6-7 days of using it??

Thanks for the help

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
GPU drivers can get corrupted...any system crashes?...game crashes? BSODs

Is the PC overclocked?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
GPU drivers can get corrupted...any system crashes?...game crashes? BSODs

Is the PC overclocked?

No BSOD's ,No Game crashes as i know

The only problem is i am changing profile on my BIOS and switching to Auto and XMP. My system has a cold boot problem.That is every time it cold boots it double boots or triple boots.I have searched every where and i did not find any solution to this.I have seen on many ROG forums also i guess no one has any solution.

But i am very optimistic that you can provide something to me
The pattern i observed is if i put my profile in BIOS to defaults (Auto) My system cold boots only double that is all my rgb fans lit up and then they go off .after 2 seconds they lit up again and this time system successfully boots up

AND
If i put my profile in xmp (RAM goes to 3600Mhz)system cold boots triple time. could you tell some troubleshooting to fix this?? is this dangerous or can i live with this???
Regarding GPU
I did not manually overclock CPU i just may have increased the RAM mhz thats all .But while checking benchmark results it shows my CPU average @4.59 GHZ.
Does that mean my CPU is overclocked?? I am not sure.I thought that i did not change any multiplier in BIOS so system is running at stock.I might be wrong

These are my numbers on hardware monitor.I cannot understand those voltage numbers
https://imgur.com/Kn2gv0n
https://imgur.com/jbE4LLQ

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK...so on ASUS boards...the reboots on a cold boot are normal for certain settings. Usually for OC settings and XMP is technically an OC

It usually has to do with training RAM...i.e. the board is making sure, after a total loss of power, that the memory is trained up to speed. A double boot is more "normal"...however a triple boot is not unheard of..the board will do what it needs to, to ensure stability.

If you put the board to sleep...does it wake up OK?

What exact RAM kit dou you have? A single dual channel kit?

Everything looks normal in the monitoring software...CPU is boosting normally etc....except the RAM...looks like two single 8GB sticks combined...i.e. looks like not a 16GB kit...but maybe HWmonitor is reading wrong

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
OK...so on ASUS boards...the reboots on a cold boot are normal for certain settings. Usually for OC settings and XMP is technically an OC

It usually has to do with training RAM...i.e. the board is making sure, after a total loss of power, that the memory is trained up to speed. A double boot is more "normal"...however a triple boot is not unheard of..the board will do what it needs to, to ensure stability.

If you put the board to sleep...does it wake up OK?

What exact RAM kit dou you have? A single dual channel kit?

Everything looks normal in the monitoring software...CPU is boosting normally etc....except the RAM...looks like two single 8GB sticks combined...i.e. looks like not a 16GB kit...but maybe HWmonitor is reading wrong

Thanks
I am using G SKill Trident RGB 2 * 8 GB . I installed them on A2 and B2 slots of my Motherboard. Shall i buy a single 16GB RAm kit and remove these?? Does it make a change?

The double boot/Triple boot only happens on a Cold Boot (complete power off)

When i put my system to sleep or just restarting the system ,it is booting on first attempt. Anything i need to troubleshoot for these?? ?

AND
Regarding GPU since its has been only 7-8 days i used it ,are there any tests to see if this is really good and i can believe in it in long term??

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If the driver re-install solved the graphical problems, I suspect there is nothing wrong with the GPU.

There is not really any test that will tell you anything long term. If something like Firestrike or Firestrike extreme passes and you don't see any artefacts or glitches while it runs, then you're good to go.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If the driver re-install solved the graphical problems, I suspect there is nothing wrong with the GPU.

There is not really any test that will tell you anything long term. If something like Firestrike or Firestrike extreme passes and you don't see any artefacts or glitches while it runs, then you're good to go.

Thanks for clarification
AND lastly regarding RAM does a single 16 GB kit make a difference compared to 2* 8 GB?? I am only running mine at 2133Mhz which has a capacity of 3600Mhz