cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gtx780ti Matrix high temps

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
So I pick up one of these today, awesome looking card good performer but....

The stupidly high temps I'm getting concern me, I hit 81c in Metro LL benchmark and 35 minutes of Watch_Dogs, ambient temps are 22c (winter here).
I created a custom fan profile with an increased fan speed (60%@70c) and temps dropped to 76/78c.

Also when the fans hit 70% the rear fan makes a whine/hum (the one with the extra layer of fins), which stops at 85%

Are the temps and noise normal??

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Primo case with front and bottom 140mm intakes, 1 140mm rear exhaust with a H110 in pull (top mounted) for the CPU, plenty of air flow.
17 REPLIES 17

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
Not too sure, can get get a screen shot?

Here is my responce from Asus, seems even though the marketing says 70c, temps of 81c are "normal"

Dear Valued Customer - ,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Service Care.

The temporary 81c is normal.

But you mention fan speeds anything over 60% generates a awful hum with vibrations in the fans and card
(It is related with fan hardware)

Kyuuba
Level 7
I was about to say that, the fans should not vibrate at all, just noise, mine at 100 % doesn't make a single vibration, just the noise, probably one of the fans is not properly calibrated, the motor may be damaged or one of the propellers is faulty.

Kyuuba wrote:
I was about to say that, the fans should not vibrate at all, just noise, mine at 100 % doesn't make a single vibration, just the noise, probably one of the fans is not properly calibrated, the motor may be damaged or one of the propellers is faulty.

I spoke to a Asus rep on the phone, they are ok with watercooling the card, which it now is.
Its just that they have to handle the RMA directly to check the card in case of physical damage (due to the sticker being broken).

Now I don't see temps above 47c, but you need to see the dodgy TIM job they did on this card, this picture was taken directly after removing the heat sink:

oG_kill3r
Level 7
I just picked up two of these bad boys to SLI , i have a custom fan profile set at 82" @ 100% . Even at that temp-fan speed its still kinda quiet to me , ive had a lot louder ! Have any of you tried OC them ?

SLI _ is nice
custom fan profile set at 82" @ 100% _ is also nice
Even at that temp-fan speed its still kinda quiet to me _ thats also very Nice
BUT.................................
can you tell whats you VRM temps when you hit 82º
ºi7-4790k, ºZ97-A, º4x4GB Ripjaws X 1600mhz, ºASUS GTX 780Ti OC [DC2OC] ºCorsair GS700, ºCM 690 IIIº LG E2241T ºWin 7 Ulti' SP1 x64

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
I've been given the ok to water cool the card without voiding warranty by Asus RMA Australia (unless physical/water damage which is understandable), so that's what I've done.

With a 1200Mhz overclock I don't go over 47c, VRM's around 70c mark.

With proper cooling these cards are beasts, and don't break a sweat at the 1200Mhz mark, this is only with a set 110% TDP (card using 67% of that).

Got rid of that cruddy factory TIM job, took me ages to clean it off, but it was worth it.

1stcowgirl
Level 7
what iv been sayin for month now!
these are built for liquid!
under water they are crap!
_
notice you have 23c margin between core and vrm _ (and thats on water)... can you imagine the horror on air (specialy when core is at its temp target 82c)
ºi7-4790k, ºZ97-A, º4x4GB Ripjaws X 1600mhz, ºASUS GTX 780Ti OC [DC2OC] ºCorsair GS700, ºCM 690 IIIº LG E2241T ºWin 7 Ulti' SP1 x64

Vlada011
Level 10
Gamers enjoy longer time on benefits of highly overclocked cards.
People with LN2 after few weeks finish playing.
Only such cards are better for water because hot air accumulate in case. But higher VRM temps are not present on all overclocked models. Cold air can't pass fins and PCB no protection plate for heat transfer. I say gamers see longer than others, because no one can't give me warranty on 200MHz OC GPU except if I pay such card. For 700e I don't want to wait on luck, special if world is full of cards who pass benchmark on 1300MHz and not stable in games on 1200MHz...
And GK110 scaling is nice, 50MHz higher clock is about 500 points in Firestrike Xtreme GPU.
On my card VRM temp is 5C higher than GPU, Firestrike GPU score is 13.300 out of box, 3DMark 11 17.900, without any OC software for games. That's advantage of high clock and I will always pay only cards with EXTREME clock. If manufacturer pull max from PT and leave only space for stability and to avoid throttling that's best option for me.
2000 more than reference GTX780Ti...one block and GPU/VRM temp on 55C. Who can give me warranty that I can play games 3 years without any crash in any games on clock cable to hit 6100 GPU Xtreme Points in Firestrike. I think that highly OC cards are best for gamers. I use all benefits of 115% power target and almost last fps drain from that. If someone need LN2, he will install unofficial BIOS, pump voltage on 1.5V and play...Official BIOS is for gamers and higher clock better for us and no such limitation this is for LN2 if I can play games on some higher clock.
VRM Temp depend of card design only problem can be hot air in closed case, when you open side panels, nice designed card boost on 1200MHz on 75C and less than 77-78C on VRM with 75-80% fan speed.