cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 - Tri-SLI Installation Problem?

SuperNeoSpide
Level 7
Hi,

I've recently invested in a really expensive ASUS machine (custom build). I'm using an ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME motherboard, as well as a TRI-SLI Geforce GTX 780ti (GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5) setup. Now the parts arrived very well packaged and in a completely working condition. 🙂

Now the problem I am having is that after the TRI-SLI installation, the graphics cards is very thick, so that they are touching each other an consequently preventing their fans from turning. Any help please?

I've have tried to align the top card slightly higher and the bottom one slightly lower, then all the fans are working, but without the TRI-SLI cable (board). Now you cannot fit the TRI-SLI board connecting the cards. As soon as you fit this TRI-SLI cable the cards is touching each other again and fans not running... 😞 Any help / suggestions please?

Hope to hear from some-one at ASUS as well with a solution?

Best Regards,
SNS

30 REPLIES 30

kkn
Level 14
place a fan on the side door if you have that option so it blows air on to the cards.

kkn
Level 14
superneospider.
i can not guarantee if it will work.
if you have a old card you can try it ( that way you dont have to buy and if it dont work sit there whit nothing that dont work )
there mabye 2 that have done it on this page but i recomend to google some before trying it out first.

Firedcylinder
Level 7
Why sell a card that supports tri or quad sli but you can't physically do it? Pretty lame if you ask me.
The Kraken
Xigmatek Aquila
Asus Rampage IV Gene
Intel i7-4820k
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR 3 1866MHz
Asus Geforce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II
NZXT Kraken x60
Corsair AX860
Creative Soundblaster ZX

Zka17
Level 16
Because most people who does 3- or 4-way SLI goes with water-cooling - and water-blocks are thinner than the original heatsinks...

samerafach
Level 7
I bought two of those Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II and sent them back... **** them and **** their stupid design! I'm not buying Asus graphics cards until they learn how to design graphics cards that fulfill their specs. Thanks for the very helpful thread.

I'm getting EVGA GTX 780. Cheers!

Sharpnd152
Level 7
Can we get an update on this? I'm thinking about doing 2 way SLI with these cards.

Does removing the backplate void the warranty?

Also, to the original poster, you said you had it working with slots 1, and 2. Do the fans work properly (especially on the card in the first slot)?

Sharpnd152 wrote:
Can we get an update on this? I'm thinking about doing 2 way SLI with these cards.

Does removing the backplate void the warranty?

Also, to the original poster, you said you had it working with slots 1, and 2. Do the fans work properly (especially on the card in the first slot)?

what MOBO to you have?

kkn wrote:
what MOBO to you have?

Maximus VI Formula

My (current) setup:

The card at the bottom is a USB 3.0 PCI card, which would be lowered to the very last PCI slot.

kkn
Level 14
you will have a opening between the GPU's there when you add the second dual slot card.
its when you add a 3slot card you will have problem.
http://cdn.overclock.net/3/35/500x1000px-LL-3590730c_DSC02565.jpeg
thats 2 dual slot cards.

Awesome, thank you!