cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 - Tri-SLI Installation Problem?

SuperNeoSpide
Level 7
Hi,

I've recently invested in a really expensive ASUS machine (custom build). I'm using an ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME motherboard, as well as a TRI-SLI Geforce GTX 780ti (GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5) setup. Now the parts arrived very well packaged and in a completely working condition. 🙂

Now the problem I am having is that after the TRI-SLI installation, the graphics cards is very thick, so that they are touching each other an consequently preventing their fans from turning. Any help please?

I've have tried to align the top card slightly higher and the bottom one slightly lower, then all the fans are working, but without the TRI-SLI cable (board). Now you cannot fit the TRI-SLI board connecting the cards. As soon as you fit this TRI-SLI cable the cards is touching each other again and fans not running... 😞 Any help / suggestions please?

Hope to hear from some-one at ASUS as well with a solution?

Best Regards,
SNS

30 REPLIES 30

SuperNeoSpide
Level 7
Dear Arne,

yes, even before plugging anything into the cards, they touch each other... I've tried all options, trying to keep them away from each other (aligning)... And the standard Tri-Sli connector that comes with the ASUS motherboard pulls them even tigher together... I'm in contact with ASUS Technical Support on the moment.. But any other suggestions are welcome...

Thank you,
Regards,
SNS

SuperNeoSpide wrote:

Thank you,
SNS

off topic,
would you mind sharing you VRM readings on the cards? (some of us gets very high temps)
ºi7-4790k, ºZ97-A, º4x4GB Ripjaws X 1600mhz, ºASUS GTX 780Ti OC [DC2OC] ºCorsair GS700, ºCM 690 IIIº LG E2241T ºWin 7 Ulti' SP1 x64

Hi,

I have the same problem when trying to mount 4 ASUS GTX780TI-DC2-3GD5 on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard. I found a possible solution by separating the cards with the stickers that come to decorate them, but at the moment I cannot tell if this will work (ie. if the separation will be enough to adequately cool the cards) since I am waiting for a 1500 W PSU and the CPU (Xeon E5-1650v2) to arrive to my work place (this is meant to be a workstation for scientific work). I would like to know if Asus gave you a more reasonable response than what I got from Asus Spain: they told me that the cards were probably mounted wrongly and that this board should be compatible with these graphics cards. I sent them the following pictures and I am waiting for an answer now.

kkn
Level 14
use the bottom as physx and the top one in sli.
you can choose whitch card you want to run physx in nvidia controll panel.
you can even instal a 2XX and run that as physx if that was an option ( as long as its not bridged to the other cards ).

correct me on this if im mistaken.

X-ROG
Level 15
The rear metal shrouds are not hugely necessary so they can be removed if you want to run 3/4-way SLI without the extra gap. It's installed mostly for looks (people demand it).

Dear All,

I'm planning a nVidia 3+1 surround screen setup.

With the +1 as a ASUS VG278H for chatting, 3d-movies and 3d-games:
http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278H/

And for the 3, I am planning 3X ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, for normal gaming:
http://rog.asus.com/296652014/news/rog-announces-the-pg278q-swift-27-inch-wqhd-g-sync-gaming-monitor...

looking somthing like this:

Now as the PG278q only works only from displayport, I need at least 3X GPU's to drive it, as they have a native resolution each of 2560x1440. And probably requiring that amount of processing power...

The fourth card will then be used for PhysX as suggested by [kkn] aswell, and for driving the VG278H screen.

Dear MarshallR@ASUS, I will look into removing the back plates... Do I loose my warranty then?

Dear Zka17, I havent run crazy benchmark apps on the machine yet, but for normal gaming so far, no overheating problems yet...

I'm very frustrated on the moment with my GPU purchase and are looking at swopping or replacing them with other cards...

My ASUS Motherboard and ASUS Vulcan Pro headsets are working perfectly though...!

Let me know what you think.

Best Regards,
SNS

chomuco
Level 7

mavthegenius
Level 7
Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. the fans are hitting each other. I tried separating them manually by using rubber tips but the cards are getting heated up in 10 min of game play and system is getting shut down. Have you heard anything from Asus help Desk ?

Config:
Asrock X79 Extreme11 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4960X 4.00 GHz
Nzxt Krakan X 60 CPU Cooler
G Skill F3 – 2400C10Q – 32GTX
3x Asus GTX 780 Ti Direct CU II OC Graphics
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1500W RSF00
Cooler Master COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 Chassis

mavthegenius wrote:
Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. the fans are hitting each other. I tried separating them manually by using rubber tips but the cards are getting heated up in 10 min of game play and system is getting shut down.

Yes, there is not enough room from correct airflow... beside pointing a fan on them, you could also try checking if the fans of all cards are set to run at higher speeds... - sync them in GPU Tweak or in whatever other application you're using...

The max is 2-way SLI with the original air-coolers... at least that's my opinion... - anything higher needs water-blocks...

Dear mavthegenius,

our local ASUS support was not very helpful. First they suggested putting in rubber spacers, which we know wont work. Secondly they said that long flexible SLI cables might help, but not willing to supply. Thirdly they said they not dealing directly with the public and not willing to accept a return, that I must contact the wholesalers. The Reseller/Wholesaler just responded that the card is not "faulty" and cannot be returned. So I'm currently a bit stuck with with physical oversized cards... Please let me know if you get any better help or a solution? I'm currently looking at the EVGA 780 Ti SC's that are within two slot widths...

Best Regards,
SNS

PS. Make sure your fans are running, else you will run into cooling problems and overheating/damaging the cards....

mavthegenius wrote:
Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. the fans are hitting each other. I tried separating them manually by using rubber tips but the cards are getting heated up in 10 min of game play and system is getting shut down. Have you heard anything from Asus help Desk ?

Config:
Asrock X79 Extreme11 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4960X 4.00 GHz
Nzxt Krakan X 60 CPU Cooler
G Skill F3 – 2400C10Q – 32GTX
3x Asus GTX 780 Ti Direct CU II OC Graphics
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1500W RSF00
Cooler Master COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 Chassis