cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX680-2GD5 Red Screen of Death!

Ankiseth
Level 7
I got an ASUS GTX680-2GD5 in june (06/21/2012), and within a few weeks the red screen of death became an issue (During July).
I did some research on the internet and hardware forums and I couldn't find any satisfying answer to my questions nor other users with ASUS card problems (680), and the question being: The red screen of death on the 680's series are a case of bad card(defective product) or software problems(BIOS, drivers, software incompatibilities)?

English and grammar may be forgiven due to the obvious reasons: English is not my native language.

Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Quick question - are you overclocking your graphic card at all?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Nope. Default settings on GPU Tweak all along, I didn't have time to try it.

I uninstalled gputweak (I've heard that RSoD problem was related to gpu-z, so I avoided it's use ,even thou I've never used the gputweak's gpu-z, the problem continued ) and BAM! the problem was magically gone! ****ing science!
Hooray for faulty software provided by ASUS!
Anyway, any suggestions on monitoring/overclocking tool that does not cause grievance?

kkn
Level 14
MSI afterburner, some use that to oc/tweek the card/s, there is other programs too out there but i cant come up whit enny other as of now.

HiVizMan
Level 40
For the 680 cards EVGA precision tool is the best.

Download the latest version of GPUz directly and no problems at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Menthol
Level 14
I have seen several threads about the RSOD, fortunately never experienced it myself, I believe it was related to monitoring software, If I remember correctly AIDA changed something in there software to correct it. Are you using AIDA and another program to monitor the temperature at the same time, or two different monitoring programs at the same time, a common mistake. If you figure this out please post back and help someone that may have the same issue. Good luck

I've just used gputweak, since it was pretty much a complete tool (for graphic cards) and I haven't used Everest for weeks.That means my problem was not triggered precisely by these software conflicts, but the gpu-z within gputweak seems to modify a register in the cards BIOS, this register is not present in the kepler series, causing the red screen of death, well, that's what I read in a hardware website.After that hint, I uninstalled gputweak, and no problems so far ( 24h+ without a red screen).Such a shame I really liked gputweak,but I'll try these monitoring programs suggested in the thread.

Chris_Manico
Level 10
My Gtx 680 isnt an Asus card, but I encountered the RSOD once when i tried to use an older version of GPU-Z I upgraded to the newest version, and haven't had a problem since. I do believe it is related to versions of GPUZ that were released prior to Keplar. just a guess based on what happened to me.
Corsair Carbide 540 Air ~ AMD FX 8350 ~ Asus Crosshair V Formula Z ~ 1901 BIOS ~ Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz 2x8 Gb CMD16X3M2A2400C10 ~ EVGA GTX 1080 Ti ~ Corsair AX860i PSU ~ Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SATA 3 SSD ~ WD 4 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB ( RMA'd ) ~ Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speakers ~ 27 Samsung SA550 HD LED Monitor ~

DeXZoR
Level 10
if you sill haveing problems renestal the windos ass a lest selusen . or start lucking what programs that are messsing it upp for mi it whos Rog coonecter