cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gtx1080 Strix unstable at factory clocks?

bullydog
Level 7
Happy new year everyone!
Like to get some inputs in regards to my current gtx 1080 strix "advanced" version cards. I have 2 cards running in sli and it seems to be unstable in its default clock speed. In game OSD reports that my cards mostly runs at 1936mhz+*

I realized this when I was playing bf1 and my game repeatedly crashes with DirectX errors, so I decided to also try division and it also crashes. Each time it crashes I always go back to desktop, no lock ups and no artifacts*

So I decided to run a simple benchmark like uniengine heaven benchmark and the same Thing happens.*

To prevent all these crashes I'm currently using evga precision X to reduce my power target to 70% and temp targets to 65c just for now to get non disrupted game play, everything is good and stable for now as my clock speed is at 1700mhz+

Believe my cards are on the low end of the silicon lottery, but I just need help getting my cards to run at the advertised speed of 1837mhz stable

Thanks in advance *
| Caselabs S8 | AirPlex Radical 2x 360 + 2x MCP655 | 5820k | AX 1.2kw | R5E | Corsair Dominator 3k | 2x Asus Strix 1080 SLI |
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
HI Bullydog

Have you tried giving them a little more voltage?

Is your psu strong enough?

Nate152 wrote:
HI Bullydog
Have you tried giving them a little more voltage?
Is your psu strong enough?

Hi Nate,
Thanks, yes my PSU is ok have connected it up to my PSU tester and all the readings are within spec, have also done a couple of ROG real bench run and its ok. I have not touched voltages yet and dont intend to.

What i have done is lower my temp targets to 65c and everything seems to be fine now.

Like to know why does it cause instability when my temp targets are default at 83c ?
| Caselabs S8 | AirPlex Radical 2x 360 + 2x MCP655 | 5820k | AX 1.2kw | R5E | Corsair Dominator 3k | 2x Asus Strix 1080 SLI |

Chino wrote:
List your complete system specifications please.

Hi Chino,
My specs are list in my signature, thanks

Nickba
Level 7
Hi, seems some cards are not tested correctly at factory. I have a GTX1080 OC that I bought about 4 months ago and it works fine at the factory OC clock speed. I bought another GTX1080 OC to use in SLI and I just received it today. This new one cannot handle the factory OC clock and it is crashing. So I am returning it. My suggestion: test each card separately and RMA the faulty one.