Did you mean: 

GTX 980 Ti + Nvidia Driver 361.43 = Failed Installation

meller
Level 7
Let's start with specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
2x GTX 980 Ti Strix
x99-Deluxe Motherboard

Every time I try to install nvidia's newest driver, it fails during the actual graphics card driver installation. Things I've tried: Express settings, Custom Settings (with a clean install). I've downloaded Guru3d's DDU utility, rebooted in safe mode, and removed all previous nvidia drivers and registry entries (using the DDU program).

Basically, I've done absolutely everything I can think of to update my drivers and it always fails. I even removed one of my cards completely from my system to try and install it with only one GPU in. Didn't work. Thought maybe that card is messing up, swapped the card in the PC out for the one I removed... Yep, it still didn't work.

Advice?
7 REPLIES 7

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

It happened to me concerning the "audio" part of the driver. I had to remove everything from the old driver via DDU (display driver uninstaller) and then reboot and let windows install whatever drive it wanted to install; it think it was 359.00 whql. Then i have been able to proceed to the new driver installation.

Hope this resolves your issue.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

All previous versions work. In fact I'm currently running the second newest driver nvidia has.

As for the audio part. I uninstall all nvidia drivers installed (which I actually never install any of the HD audio drivers associated with it, as I'm kind of old school. Back in the day, they would cause issues with your onboard video.

I've ever tried partially doing what you said. Removing all drivers via the DDU in safe mode, then restarting. Installing a older driver (usually either the one right before the current or two drivers back) then upgrading from there... no avail.

I'll give it one last time with your way Max and hopefully that works. First every ASUS cards. Been an EVGA fan boy for so long. The benchmarks and results of the Strix and Matrix made me think it was time to try ASUS cards as I love their motherboards. I was so wrong.

Ravenholme
Level 7
I'm having the same problem with a Reference 980ti and 361.43 & 361.75 on windows 10. seems to be a common problem. i'm running a 359.xx driver (the newer one can't remember atm)

Nate152
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded to the matrix 980 Ti and I was getting the driver installation failed too. I do the custom/advanced install uncheck everything except the graphics driver and PhysX driver then check the only box that says perform a clean installation.

It failed for me 2 or 3 times, I did a system restore to an earlier point and it finally installed. I don't know why it was giving me trouble, the latest NVidia driver is 361.91.

toronto699
Level 13
Nvidia is aware of install issue of 361.91 they are working on a Fix. A patch or new driver will be released in a few days.

Have you tried rolling back the drivers to an older, but working model? To do this you just have to go to control panel---device drivers--- open up the driver you want to alter and roll back. This all applies to Windows 7. However, if it still dpesn't work you can try somke of the other suggextions below.

http://vkrepair.com/fix-nvidia-drivers-not-installing/