anphetamina
Level 7
Hello, this is my build:

• i5-6600k (no OC)
  • ASUS MAXIMUS RANGER VIII (BIOS 3404)
  • MSI GTX 1060 6G
  • Samsung SSD 850 evo 250gb
  • WD Caviar Blue 1TB
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 DDR4 (XMP profile)
  • Dual monitor: Zowie XL2411 144hz + BenQ GW2260 60Hz

I get stuttering /lag spikes in the following titles:

• PUBG: random lag spikes with GPU frequency core drops from 1911Mhz to 1520Mhz and GPU usage drops.
  • Rocket League: random lag spikes when a player join a match and during the match with fps drops.
  • GTA V: literally unplayable without VSync, stuttering every seconds.
  • Rust and Ark: random lag spikes and when loading chunks with fps drops.
  • Total War Warhammer: stuttering while on strategic map with fps drops.

What I've done so far:

• Playing with the lowest graphics settings possible with and without Vsync.
  • Tried adaptive VSync and Fast VSync
  • Update all drivers, GPU, Intel chipset, Asmedia, Ethernet... and tried to revert back to old GPU drivers
  • Check DPC latency with Latencymon: dxgkrnl.sys, nvlddmkm.sys.
  • Tweak BIOS settings, disabling Intel speedstep, default settings, no RAM XMP profile, disable Turbo mode.
  • Tried any sort of reccommended Nvidia control panel settings like Cache shader, Thread optimization, Perfomance mode.
  • Tried MSI Gaming App OC mode and Gaming mode.
  • Move games on the primary disk.
  • Steam cache file verification.
  • Fixed the custom file paging size as minimum as possibile or as reccommended one.
  • Re-seat monitor cables.
  • Clean boot.
  • Playing with two different monitors at once at different refresh rates.
  • HDD full defragmentation.
  • Disabling IPV6, NetBIOS and any other ethernet adapter.
  • Checked temps and Windows services and tasks.
  • Disabling firewall and Defender.

What I've not done is to re-install the OS or update to the latest motherboard BIOS.
Do you have any other suggestion?
80 REPLIES 80

Nate152
Hi Buellersdayoff

Thank you for your input, I'm not sure what version of windows 10 anphetamina is running but game mode I think is only on the creators update. I tried the creators update and it was giving me problems so I went back to the original windows 10.

It's saying a driver is executing for too long, to disable cpu throttling and to check for bios updates. What driver could this be? I have no idea but I might reinstall windows and overclock the cpu then give GTA V a run.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Buellersdayoff

Thank you for your input, I'm not sure what version of windows 10 anphetamina is running but game mode I think is only on the creators update. I tried the creators update and it was giving me problems so I went back to the original windows 10.

It's saying a driver is executing for too long, to disable cpu throttling and to check for bios updates. What driver could this be? I have no idea but I might reinstall windows and overclock the cpu then give GTA V a run.
Sonic suite software gave me a lot of trouble, that is if they're using it. Creators update sure is a pita

Sheltem
Level 9
Perhaps you are one of the people affected by
http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-acknowledges-windows-10-stuttering-problem-a-fix-is-in-the-works/
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

anphetamina
Level 7
I have already tried the Anniversary update and the Inside build.
I have no Sonic Suite or AI suite installed and I've already disable dvr and game mode.
Why are you keep talking about stuttering? Mine is not stuttering, is freezing

Nate152
I was thinking more about what could cause the pausing and....

If you're using windows 10 and let it install the drivers and just update the graphics driver your machine should work normally. So since Latencymon is saying it's a slow driver I wonder if it could be the logitech driver or something else you have installed.

If you haven't got it fixed you could reinstall windows, update the graphics driver and install MSI Afterburner. Then install GTAV and give it a run without anything else installed. Just use the regular version of windows 10 don't update to creators or anniversary, you could put GTA V on your ssd to give you peace of mind.

Latencymon makes me want to think it's some third party driver/software you have installed.

Nate152 wrote:
I was thinking more about what could cause the pausing and....

If you're using windows 10 and let it install the drivers and just update the graphics driver your machine should work normally. So since Latencymon is saying it's a slow driver I wonder if it could be the logitech driver or something else you have installed.

If you haven't got it fixed you could reinstall windows, update the graphics driver and install MSI Afterburner. Then install GTAV and give it a run without anything else installed. Just use the regular version of windows 10 don't update to creators or anniversary, you could put GTA V on your ssd to give you peace of mind.

Latencymon makes me want to think it's some third party driver/software you have installed.

I've already tried that, running GTA on a fresh install, no additional drivers installed, is there a way to find the defective driver by reverse analyze the stack trace?
Anniversary won't help too, clean boot neither.
This is something happening when my system is under heavy load / stress, in gaming only. Maybe looking at my voltages could help finding something hardware related?

EDIT:
look at the product page of my GPU https://it.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-GAMING-6G
it say:
Boost Clock / Base Clock / Frequenze
1746 MHz / 1531 MHz / 8000 MHz (OC Mode)
1733 MHz / 1518 MHz / 8000 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1708 MHz / 1506 MHz / 8000 MHz (Silent Mode)

My card is hitting 1924 / 1911 mhz in game, the memory frequency is 4007 mhz...?

Nate152
If you're reading the memory speed from Afterburner it always shows half, double what it's showing.

Your boost clock going over the rated core clocks is normal, if temps are low enough it will boost past the rated core clocks, this is GPU Boost 3.0 at work.

If you've tried it on a fresh install then I might suspect a usb device, be sure only the mouse and keyboard are connected to the motherboard usb ports with none of their drivers installed. if it's still doing it try another mouse and keyboard if you have them.

Retired
Not applicable
TS
i did not read this entire thread, and every post

(other possible causes than monitor and driver configuration settings below)

Is your motherboard memory overclocked? or any other changes made to the memory settings in bios?

very very often stuttering and frame lag in games and benchmarking can be the cause of slightly wrong memory settings in bios, especially if some of the timings have been altered with, or the memory been overclocked beyond the default XMP with very "ambitious" settings.
Even a factory pre-made mem OC profile in bios, can be anything but good, and may cause issues with performance and HW communications in your system..

Run a game without any custom OC settings in bios, or tune up software, and see if the problem persist..

Just some input to this topic..

anphetamina
Level 7
I have done no OC, everything is stock, I did a clear cmos.

Shouldn't latencymon blame an usb driver if that is causing the lag? What I see from latencymon is this

Retired
Not applicable
is your cpu performing well inside windows? the performance states?

if you have XTU installed, give the benchmark a go and check the score? throttling, core clocks, temperature and so on

I think the easiest was to proceed is to eliminate all surrounding hardware

Just have the keyboard, monitor and mouse connected, and everything on default, and the right connection between the monitor and VGA card (proper cable / port)

I dont want to cause you a lot of excessive work now, but this is how i would start looking for the problem, on a hardware level first using the default settings..

it can literary be just about anything causing your problem

Good luck