cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 2x140mm Front Fans to my 1070 Strix

Stewpot
Level 8
So I'm debating between swapping my stock fans in my H440 (3x120mm) for 2 high quality 2x140mm and connecting them to my 1070 Strix O8G. As the location of the 2x140mm will blow more direct over the GPU as well as give me full control over the fan speeds through GPU Tweak.. But I'm not finding much information through google with people actually using it and if there are any problems.

The main concern is that is the 4 pin fan connectors link to the fan speed of the GPU as in, will the case fans 2x140mm not spin if the GPU fans aren't spinning or are they independently controlled in GPU Tweak?

Secondly, are the 4 pin connectors weaker than their motherboard 4 pin connectors? I saw a post with some one say they might not be truly 4 pin PWM 12v controlled so the fans won't operate the same as if they were connected to the motherboard.

Basically, I'm deciding between 3x120mm vs 2x140mm for my intake fans in my H440 since the case isn't that amazing air optimised, I felt the 140mm may be better interms of airflow since 2 140mm will be less air starved and push more air through the system as well as be a lot quieter.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi Stewpot

I connected two 140mm 3 pin fans to the gpu headers and they work great, you can set a fan curve in GPU tweak II for them to ramp up at 60c, that is the lowest temp they will kick on. The gpu fan headers are rated at 1 amp, as long your fan(s) don't exceed this you'll be fine.

They can be pwm or 3 pin fans and you can control them with GPU Tweak II manually or set a fan curve with the External Fan Speed.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Stewpot

I connected two 140mm 3 pin fans to the gpu headers and they work great, you can set a fan curve in GPU tweak II for them to ramp up at 60c, that is the lowest temp they will kick on. The gpu fan headers are rated at 1 amp, as long your fan(s) don't exceed this you'll be fine.

They can be pwm or 3 pin fans and you can control them with GPU Tweak II manually or set a fan curve with the External Fan Speed.

I plan to connect 2x140mm Noctua NF AF14 PWM fansif I do swap them out. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Awesome !

Can you show us some pics when you get them installed ?

I'll do so after I'm done installing. Currently I have both my Noctua NF A14s connected tyo my GPU and turned on External Fans in GPU Tweak II my only issue isthat the minimum Ext. Fan speed is 50%. These are 140mm constantly going at 840 RPM, they are blowing tons of air at a mere 50% speed.. Is there any way at all to control the speed below 50% of is that the minimum speed the 2 external 4 pins on the GPU allow?

New exhaust fan

Concealed beasts - Noctua NF A14

Nate152
Sweet !

You have it set the lowest it can go, the fans will come on at 50% speed when the gpu hits 60c.

I'm not using the gpu headers but I do hook fans up to them to make sure they're working.

Here's mine. 🙂