cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you say soiled drawers?

JustinThyme
Level 13
So im just farting around with my cards nothing heavy tweaking a little with GPU tweak trying to find a sweet spot. Between decent clock and lower temps until I can get under water with my pair of 2080Ti O11G cards. The after applying the last setting I go to load port royal and the screen locks then starts and it wont load the bench. I launch GPUZ and that locks it up. So reboot, and uninstall GPU Tweak and wipe it (this is getting old as it keeps causing problems) and im none the better. OK so lets reinstall drivers.....nope loader fails. reboot and the cards have big yellow triangles in device manager. Im like great.....DDU.....nope....several attempts and then reboot, cards lights are flashing red and no display. Im like great.....$3000 worth of cards cooked. So try them one at a time....nope. Now Im thinking my PSU has crapped the bed as even though its 1500 watts these cards pull some serious juice. So pull them and put in my trusty back up and I get a display and im like great they really are cooked. Well booting into widows the circling dots stop circling.....brand new 905P drive just put it in. So hard power off and start again and disk check and repair commences all by itself, when it finishes I boot up, it loads default drivers then I install a clean install of the drivers. OK now that card is up. So lets see what happens when I yank it and put in one of the 2080Tis. It went OK, booted and reloaded drivers again and it benched a run at default no problems. Install second card and Nvlink bridge, reload again because for whatever reason it doenst like initiating SLI manually, wants you to shut down half dozen back ground apps that makes no sense and reboot....reload is just easier. So it takes no problems and I can wipe my shorts out. Ive had it do strange things but not to this level. Like it harshed the direvers and the kernel and the MBR. new drive makes me wonder but this is not the first episode with GPU tweak on these cards where it just locks in messed up whatever and I have to jump through flaming hoops to recover. Im thinking Im going to sit back a bit and not install it again until a new release comes out. It had its little quirks with pascal cards but its majorly going fubar on these 2080Ti's. Maybe needs some optimization. it wasnt clocks as I dialed it back to 1700 from 1805 just trying to ge to where I still get some decent performance without having to open my door. I guess 1650 will do for now.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein
21 REPLIES 21

JustinThyme
Level 13
I use nowinstock.net but that only shows retailers after the fact. My best bet is most likely direct from EK or watercool as soon as they go up for sale.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Menthol
Level 14
I have had very good experience ordering directly from EK, 3 day delivery to Southern California, I have never dealt with any defects or RMA with them though.

Menthol wrote:
I have had very good experience ordering directly from EK, 3 day delivery to Southern California, I have never dealt with any defects or RMA with them though.

Yeah I get the orders pretty quick direct order, even with watercool. Frustration ATM minute is cant order something that isnt there. Watercool updated their page today from "Available January 2019" to "Available February 2019" No preorders even not product images.

JustinThyme wrote:
Yeah I get the orders pretty quick direct order, even with watercool. Frustration ATM minute is cant order something that isnt there. Watercool updated their page today from "Available January 2019" to "Available February 2019" No preorders even not product images.

Yeah, I've gotten several replies from them saying 'February' to 'mid-Feb' to 'coming soon' - no exact date. I tried getting them to reply with the earliest or latest release date but no avail.

Raja
Level 13
The Phanteks blocks are out: http://www.phanteks.com/PH-GB2080TiAS.html

Raja@ASUS wrote:

Thanks for the heads up @Raja.
Do you have any experience with the thermal performance on the Phanteks blocks? The block iself appears to have an actual full cover that gets all the VRMS and chokes as well where some have been skipping the maint Vcore and memory chokes. The would match my enthoo elite! Just wish they made an Nvlink in a two slot variety so I could go vertical, Trying to envision how these blocks will look with original backplates.

Now to see if anyone is selling them.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

Thank you for telling.

JustinThyme wrote:
Thanks for the heads up @Raja.
Do you have any experience with the thermal performance on the Phanteks blocks? The block iself appears to have an actual full cover that gets all the VRMS and chokes as well where some have been skipping the maint Vcore and memory chokes. The would match my enthoo elite! Just wish they made an Nvlink in a two slot variety so I could go vertical, Trying to envision how these blocks will look with original backplates.

Now to see if anyone is selling them.

Just did a quick google search on this actually. This youtube channel came up. Although these are reference card results. But that could be a good indicator of performance of the Strix block. Not sure of the testing methodology used here (I believe he uses a chiller).

Phanteks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi2ck8dC0QA
EKWB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUrkhkWWaRA
Heatkiller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfvYMki4UyM
Aquacomputer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNSPQvjSEBE

Not sure why the EKWB block is considerably hotter than the rest. Do the results look legit?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yeah I’m gonna have to call BS on Egor especially on the ultra high temps on the EK and the ultra low idle. To many variables not noted and while Watercool and aquacomputer make awesome blocks a 20 spread on the EK? Also two of the vids show shooting through glass.......first rule of thumb for IR cameras, they dont shoot through glass or acrylic etc. Must have clear line to what you are shooting. Another point is first two are referenccing VRM temps while the last two are referencing under the core.

Tech radar has some delta T graphs on the 1080 Ti versions and they are all within 2C which is a bit more easy to take in. *Not enough of these out but just looking at the design and build quality the phanteks looks top notch and actually outperforms in flow restriction. This is from their first block so things should have progressed after a few years.*

Another thing to consider on some of the comparisons aren’t Apple for apples putting up a card with an actively cooled backplate against one using stock back plates because of the design of the strix and the LED on/off switch.

Either way I’ll let you know how the Phanteks does. If it will keep the card under 45C load with ambient loop I’ll call that a win. *I ordered up a pair through Phanteks USA which should be here before the week is out.**Not waiting on the others. They should have had these products ready at or near launch of the GPU as I’m sure they had specs, engineering drawings and probably samples too well in advance and even if they didn’t Reviewers had cards in hand 5 months ago.**The most Interesting would be aquacomouter but they don’t make spec blocks. Everything is reference only.*

Used Poopal to pay so it they are not represented correctly they will simply get sent back. Decent looking cards, can’t compare to EK or WC as they have no photos up. Im honestly thinking they will perform quit well, all within less than 2C which variables like application of TIM can change it. Either way low to mid 40s loaded is a far cry better than 70 with air that heats up my case interior. Phanteks looks like the first decent one to the party so they are getting my money.

Nice looking blocks, I went for black

For what it’s worth, I had great success with the Phanteks blocks on my Strix 1080 Ti cards. *I can’t say that I compared them to any other blocks myself, but they kept loaded temps in the low to mid 40 range and my loop was basic (single 360). *I suspect you will be pleased.

mdzcpa wrote:
For what it’s worth, I had great success with the Phanteks blocks on my Strix 1080 Ti cards. *I can’t say that I compared them to any other blocks myself, but they kept loaded temps in the low to mid 40 range and my loop was basic (single 360). *I suspect you will be pleased.

Thats right where EK blocks kept mine around 4C loaded in a 23-24C ambient.

Just no samples out so going off of last generations info where they had the lowest flow restriction and middle of the pack Core reults with a 2C spread. Slightly towards the top of the pack on VRM temps. If ite reasonable, Im good. 1C wont make a difference in an OC when its down 30C from where it was on air.