cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS UEFI vBIOS tool for GTX 600 series cards! It's Here!

X-ROG
Level 15
Hi Everyone,

Here is the tool link. Please search for your model from the list and then click on BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/ModelList.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=GTX&type=1

This bit is critical:
* You will be UNABLE to flash back to the original legacy-only BIOS. HOWEVER, the new GOP UEFI BIOS is actually a Hybrid BIOS. It includes the legacy one as well as the UEFI one. But...
* We are only able to qualify its use ASUS motherboards: that includes those with UEFI BIOS' and those with older legacy BIOS' (we've checked on boards up to ~4 years ago). Other motherboards might work with our UEFI graphics cards but we cannot officially endorse compatibility as we don't have access to all BIOS and board revisions. The software checks if your motherboard is compatible.
* (If you intend to sell-on your card to fund a future upgrade, since you can't flash back, remember this decision affects the next person you sell to)

FAQ:

Do you need this GOP UEFI update?
If you want to use Win 8 Fast Boot, then yet, otherwise no. Do not upgrade if you don't need to. (If it works, don't fix it )

What factors do you need to get Win 8 Fast Boot running?
Only these motherboards listed below support Win 8 Fast Boot, due to a major, ground-up re-write to make the UEFI spec compatible with the Win function (this doesn't just affect ASUS motherboards FYI).

- All Intel 7 Series
- Upcoming Intel 8 Series
- Intel X79 Series updated to Win8 BIOS (3xxx)
- Intel H61 Series R2.0 or later
- All AMD R2.0 Series or later

THE SOFTWARE WILL CHECK IF YOUR BOARD IS COMPATIBLE.

Despite others being 'UEFI' boards (P67, Z68 etc) they are not compatible with Win 8 Fast Boot even after you update to GOP UEFI on your graphics card.

So, it's a Hybrid BIOS? Does that mean if I plan to upgrade my motherboard and OS to Win 8 later I can still update my GPU BIOS now?
As long as you own an ASUS board, sure. Upgrading the GPU now in preparation will still allow it to fall-back to legacy mode on your ASUS motherboard for the time being. You should see no change in the way it functions or performs. We still encourage the 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' though.

You will need:

Windows 8
UEFI compatible motherboard
GTX 600 or Radeon 7000 series graphics card
NOT OVERCLOCKED SYSTEM - DON'T RISK IT! Take normal BIOS flashing precautions.
If you run an CrossFire/SLI system, our advise is that you install 1 card at a time for this process.

Thanks for your patience everyone!
193 REPLIES 193

a7omic
Level 7
I updated my GTX 670 DC2 TOP successfully, but I had to revert to the original bios that the card came with.

Hi a7omic and thanks for this info

I own a non TOP version and, flash my version with TOP firmware for better performance. To flash it with the GOP Vbios I had to revert back the bios to the factory one, but then I loose performance 😞
Is there a way you can upload and share the bios of your TOP version please ? I would like to flash my non top version to the TOP one, with UEFI GOP capabilities please ?

EDIT : you can find the downloaded ROM in the folder where the flashtool .exe is

Eliott wrote:
Hi a7omic and thanks for this info

I own a non TOP version and, flash my version with TOP firmware for better performance. To flash it with the GOP Vbios I had to revert back the bios to the factory one, but then I loose performance 😞
Is there a way you can upload and share the bios of your TOP version please ? I would like to flash my non top version to the TOP one, with UEFI GOP capabilities please ?

EDIT : you can find the downloaded ROM in the folder where the flashtool .exe is

Right now I'm at work, but when I get home, I will respond to the message you sent me.

And ... it works just fine !
Thanks for your help mate 😉

Eliott wrote:
And ... it works just fine !
Thanks for your help mate 😉

Anytime! I'm glad it works for you. 😄

SERIOUSLY! Has Asus done ANY kind of testing before releasing this app. What a piece of crap! No action here using 690 and RIVE.
Fractal Design North Svart TG * AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 145MB * ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero * G.Skill 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo * Crucial T700 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 5 * ASUS ROG Ryuo III 240 A-RGB * ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X OC Edition * be quiet! Dark Power 13 1000W * ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K * Dali Mentor Menuet SE 2.0 * Windows 11 Pro x64 Canary Insider

@a7omic Do you mind to share how you flashed this TOP version on a non top card? Im running a 660ti OC with TOP bios and will be having the same problem when asus lets me flash eufi to it.

ArjenP wrote:
@a7omic Do you mind to share how you flashed this TOP version on a non top card? Im running a 660ti OC with TOP bios and will be having the same problem when asus lets me flash eufi to it.

I own a GTX 670 DCII Top card. I read through the log files and noticed that the UEFI installer checks for the original bios that my card came with, which is 80.04.19.00.AS02. My card did not have this version bios on it because I previously updated it with a newer version ASUS had released about a year ago, which is 80.04.19.00.AS03. The installer kept failing because of this. So i found the older version on techpowerup (80.04.19.00.AS02), and flashed it to my card. Then I ran the UEFI program, and it updated my card without any problems.

Uefi bios utility 1.1.1.0 fails with "Download VBIOS failure! Please contact ASUStek".

Motherboard is an: Asus Rampage IV Gene X79
Vidoe Card is an: Asus GTX 680 GTX680-DC2O-2GD5

Utility runs, and checks off motherboard with a green checkmark, then attempts to download the bios of the video card.
It fail with message above. No attempts at contacting Asus support have provided any help. It almost looks like there is no bios for this card available, although the update utility is listed for it. Go figure?

Hello everyone. Here Mario from Spain, sorry if my english is a bit bad...
Now I have an ASUS GTX 680 direct cu2 TOP, running in an "old" P6x58D Premium mobo.
I have the chance to purchase a second GTX 680 top to make a SLI, but it's updated with UEFI BIOS. The FAQ reads that "olds" ASUS NON UEFI mobos are tested until 4 years old. Actually I don't know when P6x58D premium was released, so: Anyone knows if I can use the second GTX680 in SLI updated with this UEFI BIOS in my mobo? (Note that one GPU will have the UEFI bios, and the other not)

IN CASE AFIRMATIVE: I have to put the 2nd GTX in the pcie slot 3. It is supposed that then I'll run at x16 and x1, what it's non viable, BUT I have found in BIOS the option to convert pcie slots 2 and 3 from x16 / x1, to x8 / x8. It is supposed then that the SLI would run at x8 / x8 in slots 1 and 3 then? I don't nevermind this since it's just a couple of frames loss, right?

Thanks to all.
Regards from Spain.