cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Matrix GTX 580 Platinum makeing high pitch noise under load

empty_mind
Level 7
hello everyone i had my Matrix GTX 580 P for a while now and i started to notice more and more that it makes a slightly high pitch noise kinda like friktion against rubber or something like that. it only happens under load and this happens in all games but when i turn the grafic settings to low in the game then it stops. i was just wondering if anyone else are experiencing the same kind of noise when playing.

i dont think power is the propblem since i have Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850 Watts PSU

hope someone can help me 😄 and thank you on advance 😄
18 REPLIES 18

X-ROG
Level 15
Is it from the graphics card or PSU? Can you pin-point it?

Have you tried other PCIe power cables (assuming it has more than two)? It's likely coil whine, which shouldn't be possible on the graphics card due to the sealed chokes, but I can't speak for the PSU.

i have my psu i the bottom of the case so it is hard to say where it is comeing from. at first i thought is was the PSU but when i took off the side of my case and tried to listen is sounded more like it was coming from the card, and im pretty sure it is not coming from my cpu or that area.

ill try change my cables and se if that will work. 😄

i just changed the cables but with no luck ;(

but after trying to pinpoint the noise im actually not sure it is from the graphics card, since the noise also is verry loud on the back of the PSU where the air flows through.

so unless someone post anything i can try to fix it ill most likely be disconnecting everything and sending in the PSU for a repair.

thankyou for the advice this far.

empty_mind wrote:
i just changed the cables but with no luck ;(

but after trying to pinpoint the noise im actually not sure it is from the graphics card, since the noise also is verry loud on the back of the PSU where the air flows through.

so unless someone post anything i can try to fix it ill most likely be disconnecting everything and sending in the PSU for a repair.

thankyou for the advice this far.

Then it's definitely the PSU coils. What you're hearing is likely a combination of the expelled air carrying the noise out and the coils closest to the back of the PSU vibrating under heavy load. If changing the power cables doesnt work (to try and alternate the load rails) the only fix is an exchange unfortunately 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
Have a look and see if the cable that provides power to the fans in the graphic card is touching a fan blade. I had that once. Screeched like a wild beast.

What board is your card in?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Have a look and see if the cable that provides power to the fans in the graphic card is touching a fan blade. I had that once. Screeched like a wild beast.

What board is your card in?

my mother bord is asus p8z68-v pro/ 3gen and the there is any cables touching anything.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks my friend - sometimes it is silly things and we forget to look for the obvious.

Are you able to swap your PSU with another to do a test? Or failing that can you take your graphic card to a friends house (or a store) and see if the noise is replicated in their system.

What we are doing is elimination of possible causes. What we have left after doing so logically have to be where the problem is located 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

since the noise only is there when my card is under load and useing alot of power, i have to find someone with the same setup then.

if i put a smaller card in it will use less power. And i dont know anyone that has a card useing the same kind of power as the matrix xD

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just take your card to a friends house and see if it squeals under load. Use the same overclock if any is used on your graphic card.