Did you mean: 

Asus GTX 970 Strix high load temp, fan noise, buzz noise

0v3rl0rd
Level 7
So, the build is the following:

MBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320 + Cooler Master 212 Evo + Phanteks PH-F140HP
GPU: Asus GTX 970 Strix OC
RAM: Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback 2x4 GB (997046)
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo
Case: Cooler Master N500

Everything stock, nothing OC. CPU undervolted with negative offset of -0,1375.

On the case I've got:
- front intake: 3 x 120 fans
- CPU cooler: 1 x Phanteks 140mm PWM fan
- back exhaust: 1 x 120 fan

I got the GTX 970 recently. Everything is on stock settigs. I got a few problems with it:

1) TEMPS:
The temps in IDLE are around 45°C, which is, as I read on the reviews, normal IDLE temp, right?
Than, I tested it once with Furmark (15 minutes) - GPU temp was 91-92°C and the VRM reached 99°C.
Isn't this a little to high for this card?

2) LOUD fans & STRANGE noise from fans:
The fans are pretty loud above 60%, and a strange noise can be heard.
I took a short video (YouTube link here)
- electrical noise can be heard from the start
- 00:16 - 50% fan speed - a clicking noise can be heard when changing from 50 to 55%
- 00:40 - 55% a strange "light clicking" noise can be heard
- 00:51 - 60%
- 00:58 - 65%
- 01:04 - 70% speed + another "scratching" noise can be clearly heard
- 01:23 - 80%
- 01:31 - 100%

3) BUZZ noise:
I'm aware of different versions of the COIL whine when under different kind of loads.
The noise I'm talking about can be heard in the first video (above) from the start until 00:15 seconds.
In the second video (YouTube link2 here) it can be heard until 00:23, at which point I started a Valley benchmark, and than (I presume) the coil whine can be heard.

So, the idle temps are ideal (IMHO), LOAD temps are high, and those loud fans and strange clicking/scratching noises. Do I have a bad card or what?

Any ideas are welcome.

EDIT:
I did a Valley benchmark and got the result in the attachment, is it a normal score for this card???
6 REPLIES 6

Tristanian
Level 7
Hello Overlord,
I just bought the same card; and I'm facing the same problems!!! I don't know what's going on and why the guys at Asus won't say anything about the issue. My card immediately gets to 92 degrees C when I launch Furmark; the game I played so far is Crysis 3; as I start playing, the temps jump and the fans make a lot of noise!!! In crysis 3, the max temp I got was 84/85, and I know this is too much. Let's hope someone will help us ... Personally, I'm going to try to manage the space is my case; if temps are still the same, I'm probably going to RMA the card because these temps are not good in an ambient temperature of around 20°; In summer, the temperature hits 48°, so I don't know what will happen to the card then.

I sent mine to RMA with the following issues noted:
1) GPU temp reaches 91-92°C
2) VRM reaches 101°C
3) Electrical noise coming from GPU
4) "Clicking" noise arround 50-55% fan speed
5) "Scratching" noise arround 70% fan speed and above
6) Above 70% fans are extremly loud.
7) "Coil whine"-LIKE noise while card is idle-ing
😎 Fans sometimes not turning on when GPU reaches high temps.

My card returned from RMA last week with statement:
"Device tested in OCCT, MSI Kombustor 3, Valley Benchmark, FurMark. Under maximum VRAM and GPU load, fans are working normally, without noises mentioned in the fault description note from customer".

I mean, REALLY!? From ALL of the above issues they didn't spot any of them?
What am I, an idiot who's got a faulty card and they're trying to convince me that all that scratching/buzzing/clicking/squeaking noise at more than 100 degrees Celsius is absolutely normal?

EDIT:
Just one note: I'm from Croatia, and I bought the card from Acquisitum Magnum. Their RMA service is MR SERVIS.

Tristanian
Level 7
The problem is that when the card overheats, it downclocks the GPU, and performance becomes really crappy. I'd suggest you try to manage the cables in your case and try to put more fans in it to make sure it is properly ventilated. This is what I will try to do... The problem is that I have some watercooling equipment that I need to manage too (and some cables too). Let's hope this will fix the problem.

Tristanian wrote:
The problem is that when the card overheats, it downclocks the GPU, and performance becomes really crappy. I'd suggest you try to manage the cables in your case and try to put more fans in it to make sure it is properly ventilated. This is what I will try to do... The problem is that I have some watercooling equipment that I need to manage too (and some cables too). Let's hope this will fix the problem.

As You can see from the images attached, I already did a pretty good (IMHO) cable management. Also, from the pictures, You can see that there are 3 intake fans, and 2 of those are blowing almost directly on my GTX970.

Note: before "what's that under the gpu" question --> under the GPU I put a "lever" to the exact length of the GPU's height from the bottom of the case, just so it doesn't bend even a bit - yes, I know it's pretty normal for those massive cards to bend a little, it's just me who doesn't like that at all 😄 And, FTR, all of the issues mentioned in the first post are present no matter if there is that lever or not.

Tristanian
Level 7
wow bro; you did a very good job concerning cable management and ventilation ... Nothing to say there!!! I was going to ask you to test the card without that lever, but you already mentioned that you did that.
I'm saying this because yesterday, I decided to remove my watercooling pump from the case and put it outside because the card was partially touching it. I left the pump outside and the case open just to test if anything changes. I was extremely surprised when I noticed that my temps became normal .... the GPU never reaches that scary 92° under load in Furmark (it was 68 max) . For some reason, GPU won't boost on default values, so I need to tweak it a little bit to reach 1250 or 1300 MHZ.
Now, I think you should forget (at least momentarily) about the noises and coiling ... Try to remove that lever and see if your GPU temperature drops ... I believe that the top of the card (the part with the fans) can move easily with the slightest pressure, which causes the GPU not to contact the part that cools it down; I suggest you leave the card hanging there and check the temps again. if you fix the temps problem (which is the worst in my opinion), then you can focus on the other (relatively minor) problems. Also, using the middle PCI express port will ensure that the card is positioned directly in front of one of the fans that blow air into the case, and closer to the one blowing hot air out of it (which can only be a good thing). I'm not an expert or anything, but this is what I got so far; I need to share it with you, maybe it will help solve your problem.
Just one final (rather stupid) question: How do you measure your VRM temps??? (I read somewhere that it can reach 120 °, and that it's only in danger if it exceeds it ... again, I'm not sure).
Good luck mate.

Tristanian wrote:
wow bro; you did a very good job concerning cable management and ventilation ... Nothing to say there!!! I was going to ask you to test the card without that lever, but you already mentioned that you did that.
I'm saying this because yesterday, I decided to remove my watercooling pump from the case and put it outside because the card was partially touching it. I left the pump outside and the case open just to test if anything changes. I was extremely surprised when I noticed that my temps became normal .... the GPU never reaches that scary 92° under load in Furmark (it was 68 max) . For some reason, GPU won't boost on default values, so I need to tweak it a little bit to reach 1250 or 1300 MHZ.
Now, I think you should forget (at least momentarily) about the noises and coiling ... Try to remove that lever and see if your GPU temperature drops ... I believe that the top of the card (the part with the fans) can move easily with the slightest pressure, which causes the GPU not to contact the part that cools it down; I suggest you leave the card hanging there and check the temps again. if you fix the temps problem (which is the worst in my opinion), then you can focus on the other (relatively minor) problems. Also, using the middle PCI express port will ensure that the card is positioned directly in front of one of the fans that blow air into the case, and closer to the one blowing hot air out of it (which can only be a good thing). I'm not an expert or anything, but this is what I got so far; I need to share it with you, maybe it will help solve your problem.
Just one final (rather stupid) question: How do you measure your VRM temps??? (I read somewhere that it can reach 120 °, and that it's only in danger if it exceeds it ... again, I'm not sure).
Good luck mate.

Thanks for Your suggestions, but, as I stated, all of the problems are present with or without that lever. In first few weeks I didn't even have that lever, and I noticed the problems then.

As for the middle PCI express port, I tried that also, with only about 2 degrees of temperature change - no big deal. Personally I like to put it on the lower PCI to keep the GPU away from CPU cooler - I'm not gaming that often, so I like to keep the CPU temp down.

About that 120°C, it's too much. I read that the safe zone is below 110°C. But the point isn't in the safe zone - it's in the fact that this card is (has to be) silent and cool, and in fact it's none of those if I'm using it for what it's meant to be used (gaming).

And as for the VRM temp, I'm using Aida64. And as You can see, the GPU temp is 42°C (ambient is 21°C) and it's idleing now.