cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GTX 780Ti Matrix overvoltage not working

Melkor
Level 7
Hello,

My problem is with overvoltage on my card - at stock setting voltage is at 1.187 with boost at 1137Mhz however I can't change max voltage setting no matter if I use GPU Tweak, MSI Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector or PrecisionX - if I change slider by +75 on voltage it doesn't go above 1.187 anyway - anyone with Matrix experiencing similiar issue? If I overclock my card by ~50 Mhz above stock artifacts starts to show up after some time so higher voltage would solve it. I'm on Windows 8.1 64Bit.

Regards,
Paul
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello Melkor, You are not the first person to post about this issue. Well it really isn't an issue it is due to the fact that Nvidia has locked the voltage. Sure the voltage slider is there but it doesn't do anything. My 680's have a max voltage of 1.175v. Once they hit 70-75c temp range the voltage drops as well as the clock speed. Nothing we can do about this it is how they are designed to work. Nvidia locked the voltage to prevent too many RMA's. There is nothing wrong with your card.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I think to get more juice into your card, you need to solder a couple pads at the back end of your 780ti. There should be a little square section with 4 little holes and they need to be soldered.

Antronman
Level 10
What Nate said is what makes AMD cards the only option for benching (aside from the K|ngp|n edition.)

It's why almost every videocard WR is obtained with an R9 290x; they cost almost half as much as the K|ngp|n, yet have as much (if not more) OC capability, as well as a lot of videocard benchmarks favoring AMD cards for whatever reason.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Well but normally my Titan and I think 780ti reference version also can get voltage up to 1.212 or 1.202 instead of 1.187 - even on reviews it shows they were able to increase voltage via software on Matrix so maybe something is wrong. Anyway it's weird once it boosts to 1137 at 1.187 sometimes it's going down to 1124Mhz at only 1.087 voltage o.O But still I'm happy it's finally good to increase temp target - even when it's above 82C it doesn't throttle like references..

How that R9-290X is better overclocker than GK110??? If I know people struggle with 150MHz on water, my card work 200MHz overclocked with
reference voltage. 1025v on 1072MHz base clock or 1162V on 1200MHz. I think highest Hawaii fabric OC is 80MHz. They are pushed 10% more even
before cards saw first customers. And 2V can help them. But NVIDIA GK110 under water have lot of space, only voltage and PT and 300-400MHz if you have good cooling. And overclocked on 1170MHz 1.3V on Guru3D still is slower than mine card on fabric OC reference voltage. Only with GK110 is problem because anything above 1250MHz I need to change BIOS, end no more space for boost only
some BIOS with disabled boost, because hit power limit and result is not accurate.

MatsGlobetrotte
Level 10
Hvaving tested just about everything on my asus gtx780 ti reference card my conclusion was that.1. I could not get the full voltage with the original bios even if overclocking in whatever software thus the boost will help clock for short intervalls but limit the card.2. After research it s clear that all 780 cards no matter what softwarebios you use you will never be able to get beyond 1.212 volts as that is a direct hardware limit on the cards in any configuration what i can determine from the guys at overclock.net3. To get the full use of the 1.212 volt though you effectively have to flash the bios with skyn3t bios. Or unlock the blocking in the bios in another way. 4. To then get the maximum out of the card i had to push up the GPU minimum voltage to1.212 volts and then push up the power max to 200% in gputweak. With that i then ran the full test that i have uploaded on hwbot while increasing the gpu clockspeed until it crashed in various 3dbenchmarks. The lottery of a prime chip will then determine how lucky you are but my card is running at speeds between 1250 and 1350 mhz as confirmed by gpuz. You cant trust most softwares on the actual speed with modified bios5. What im going to test now is to lower the Gpu temp from the 41 c i can maintain in my waterloop at present to see if by running the card cooler i can get the speed up further with same voltages.
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

Melkor
Level 7
Guys I think You get me wrong, I don't want to go beyond 1.212 and expect it's gonna working just by increase voltage in software, I want to have ability to actually boost work at 1.212 voltage instead of 1.187 - not more than this. If I set higher voltage in Nvidia Inspector it shows like it's applied because max boost is increased but it doesn't go beyond 1.187 anyway. While having Titan increasing max voltage from 1.162 to 1.212 did it's job as it would boost higher with higher voltage but of course not for long because of TDP limit at 265W. After I changed reference cooler to Arctic Accelero 3 I moded my bios by only increasing TDP to make it boost at higher voltage without hitting TDP and it did it's job. Matrix TDP at 100% is 300W and 110% is 330W, running games at stock utilise about 70% of it's power, so it's not the limiting factor.

After adding second Matrix I observed weird behaviour - sometimes cards (running at stock) max voltage goes to 1.197 but only for a moment.