cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GTX 780 DCII too loud in idle

Stealthbomb
Level 7
As the title says I'm not entirely convinced about my new graphicscard upgrade. Went from 670 DCII to 780 DCII because I was so happy about my old card and it's inaudible cooler, but this new 780 DCII just isn't. While I'm gaming I don't mind it but when I'm browsing the internet and not doing anything stressful the card still makes noise. I wouldn't call it 'noisy' but it sure isn't silent in idle. The card itself is running remarkable cool at 27 C and the fan speed is set manually to lowest possible (1130rpm @ 37%). I've inspected the card but everything looks perfect, the sound isn't mechanical, it's just a static air "whoosh".

How can I lower the fan speed further? 27 C is overkill for me, I'd rather have it silent like my old card.
9 REPLIES 9

cheesewhisk
Level 7
I've got the same issue only you can hear mine when you are in another room with the door closed.

It never seems to change in idle or running BF4 on ultra settings.

CPU: i7 4820K 3.70GHz
MB: Rampage Extreme VI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz 16G
GPU: Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II 3GB GDDR5
PSU: Corsair CX 750
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB & Seagate 3TB
Case: Corsair 600T
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95
KeyBoard: Corsair Vengeance K60
Monitor: BENQ XL2420T

cheesewhisk
Level 7
Temps are 27c but the fans are 3000rpm+

Nothing I do changes them either

Have you guys downloaded the latest BIOS?
The update just says "Quiet Fan profile version"
I am not sure if that will fix the problem but you can try it.
https://www.asus.com/support/Download/9/2/GTX780DC2OC3GD5/30/

Faithh71
Level 7
The quiet fan profile bios isn't changing the idle speed 37% 1100rpm to 27% 1100rpm.

I made earlier a thread asking for making a bios that turns the fans complety off when the system is idling but ofc no response nothing typical Asus. Ive upgraded from a 670 DC2 to a 780DC2OC as well and yes this card is just pointless louder at idle. If you have two of them it's just worse.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41254-Suggestion-Semi-passive-fan-control-on-gpu&country=&s...

cheesewhisk
Level 7
Card says it's the latest BIOS.

Really have no idea what to do as it never runs lower than 3000rpm and is very, very noisey

Faithh71 > Which you know about because it's your post.

Sorry, I'll get me coat

Hello Guys!
me too, same problem with rpm fans... none has fixed this issue?

cheesewhisk
Level 7

Nate152
Hi guys, Just a suggestion, Seeing how you all have Nvidia cards, Have you tried using precision x to control the fan speed on your gpu?