cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus 1070 ti CERBERUS running hot

invictus
Level 7
A brand new ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Ti CERBERUS-GTX1070TI-A8G-GAMING is running at 93c under load, in a case that has a lot of airflow.

My other 1070 ti cards (different models from other vendors) run at around 60c-70c under load.

Could there be something wrong with the card I received, that is causing it to run hot?

I looked down the side of the card and noticed that on only one side of the card there are thermal pads making contact between the heatsink and chips, and the other side of the card seems to have a gap between the chips and the heatsink. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Here's a pic:

Can someone tell me if that is normal or not? Any ideas to troubleshoot the heat issue?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
The fins at the top of the picture look okay, but the ones at the bottom appears to need cleaning. If air can't get through, then surely the card will heat up. Perhaps try brushing or blowing the dust out of there and have another go. Are the fans spinning as they should?

As you can see from the picture below, no need for thermal pads there. Thermal paste is used on the GPU.

invictus
Level 7
Thanks for the info.

The junk is probably just artifacts in the pic, the card is brand new. I had a closer look and it doesn't actually appear to be dirty.

Any other ideas for troubleshooting the heat issue? Is 93c within the normal range for this card?

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
The temp does seem unusually high. By under load, do you mean you've been running benchmarks to check worst-case scenario?
Can you clarify what you mean by a lot of airflow? Which chassis are you using? Extra fans installed?
Are both fans on the card working as they should?
Are you running in SLI?
Does your card sag thus affecting the contact between the cooler and the GPU?

invictus
Level 7
Correct, it only hits 93c under full load. At idle, temps are fine.

I have 3x 120mm 3000rpm Noctua Industruial Fans pulling hot air off it, running at full speed when the card is under load. This is a lot more than typical case airflow.

I have tested a number of other 1070 ti cards (different brand/models, not more of the same card) in the same setup and they haven't gone over 76c, this one just seems to run much hotter than others.

Regarding sag, how would I measure this? Do you mean the way the card is mounted? There is no vertical sag from gravity if that is what you mean. The card has a backplate and feels rigid, not like it is bending in any way.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Typically this card shouldn't reach those temperatures, that much is certain. Seems to be a contact issue from what you're saying. Not that you should need to, but have you tried adjusting the four adjacent screws on the back of the card?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Typically this card shouldn't reach those temperatures, that much is certain. Seems to be a contact issue from what you're saying. Not that you should need to, but have you tried adjusting the four adjacent screws on the back of the card?

No, I haven't tried physically altering the card in any way. I can see from the back of the card there are screws that secure the heatsink accessible through holes in the backplate. None of them feel loose, and I wouldn't want to over torque them.

DSD27
Level 7
By full load you mean gaming or stress test/benchmarks?
If it's stress test it may be common with default fan curve. Cards now come with very low fan speeds unless you bump them up manually.