cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3090 Strix OC White Mobo Light on Cold Start (even though it runs fine)

martine-dee
Level 12
Hey, folks.

I've got one of the very first 3090s (Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC Edition).

At some point, my mobo at the time (a M12E) started showing persistent white light on first starts (after the system was off for a few hours). Besides the white light (video card issue) persisting, the PC was able to run normally. Restarting the system would make the white light go away.

I thought that it was perhaps a motherboard issue.

Then my M12E was fried, and I got a TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4. And you might have guessed it... the white light issue didn't go away. Thus, I believe it is something with the graphics card, or some its setting. I am hoping that someone here could tell me how I can debug this further or what this is about (e.g., if the motherboard could also tell *what* is wrong instead just showing the white light). Maybe even how to fix it.

The card has had its latest BIOS installed ever since sometime in May 2021. And, true, I haven't attempted to run it with its other VBIOS, but might just do it if no other ideas come up. I've worked with resizable BAR on and off, Gen 3 and Gen 4, with and without a riser cable, and different sets of power cables.

Thank you!
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating
16 REPLIES 16

Ribellu wrote:
Ok because on my PC I had a problem, I was getting this white led when I tried to put the re size BAR in bios, I disabled the CSM module in the BIOS and every time I had this problem of led, with an update of the Vbios this has been resolved, but it does not seem to be your case here.

EDIT: however you can see if a Vbios is newer than yours here : https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

Or ASUS: https://rog.asus.com/fr/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx3090-o24g-gaming-model/...

Handy site!

The VBIOS I have is 94.02.42.00.A9. Alphabetically, it seems to be the highest one for Strix OC as well.
And, yeah, I got it from Asus' support page for my card.

HK-47
Level 10
I get this white light on my motherboard Dark Hero and strix 3090 OC . It happens when you boot the system up before the monitor is available. On my Asus PG35VQ if I wait for the displayport no signal light before I turn on the pc no light system boots fine. Turn the system on then monitor and white light. Deep sleep being enabled on display will cause this as well.
-Desktop-
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / AMD 5800x / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RBG (CMT32GX4M4C3600C18) @ 3800 /2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 (Raid 0)/ 1x Samsung 860 Evo SSD / Corsair AX1200 PSU / ASUS Strix Helios Case / Corsair HydroX Custom Loop D5, CX7, XG7 420+280 Rad/ Asus Strix 3090 / Asus PG35VQ Ultrawide Monitor / Corsair Commander PRO 3x ql120, 4x ql140 fans / Edifier 1850DB Speakers + T5 Sub /
Asus Theta 7.1 Headset

HK-47 wrote:
I get this white light on my motherboard Dark Hero and strix 3090 OC . It happens when you boot the system up before the monitor is available. On my Asus PG35VQ if I wait for the displayport no signal light before I turn on the pc no light system boots fine. Turn the system on then monitor and white light. Deep sleep being enabled on display will cause this as well.

Magic!

This works. If I make sure that the monitor is awake before I start the PC, the white light doesn't stick.

Goly!

martine-dee wrote:
Magic!

This works. If I make sure that the monitor is awake before I start the PC, the white light doesn't stick.

Goly!

Finally solved. Happy for you.

HK-47 wrote:
Cheers, it annoyed me for a short while as well. Harmless indication but really annoying if you have a glass side panel and use your pc in the dark.

Yes, it is eye-searing. And also worrying without the knowledge of what is causing it.

ahfoo wrote:
Finally solved. Happy for you.

Tyty! ^^

HK-47
Level 10
Cheers, it annoyed me for a short while as well. Harmless indication but really annoying if you have a glass side panel and use your pc in the dark.
-Desktop-
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / AMD 5800x / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RBG (CMT32GX4M4C3600C18) @ 3800 /2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 (Raid 0)/ 1x Samsung 860 Evo SSD / Corsair AX1200 PSU / ASUS Strix Helios Case / Corsair HydroX Custom Loop D5, CX7, XG7 420+280 Rad/ Asus Strix 3090 / Asus PG35VQ Ultrawide Monitor / Corsair Commander PRO 3x ql120, 4x ql140 fans / Edifier 1850DB Speakers + T5 Sub /
Asus Theta 7.1 Headset

martine-dee
Level 12
Next update.

On the monitor side (PG259QN) this is down to the DP deep sleep option. I might have selected it to save energy, but instead, it made me double-start my PC every time I start it before this topic. Probably not worth the cost. I switched that off and things just work now.

Another solution, which I wouldn't do is either tape or remove that painful white led.

What ASUS could do is add an option to make the motherboard not react to that.