cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 Ti Strix owners: Beware of Bitspower Strix block

gridironcpj
Level 9
I purchased a block designed for the 2080 Ti Strix (it's also compatible with the 2080 Strix) from Bitspower and it seems to have some sort of design flaw, as my temperatures are very bad given my loop configuration.

Loop order is as follows: Reservoir -> D5 pump -> D5 pump -> BP Strix block -> EK Supremacy Evo -> 480mm rad -> 480mm rad

Note that the radiators are both Black Ice Nemesis 480 GTXs, which are among the best radiators out there. The two D5s are overkill for this setup, but they were used when I had a 420mm rad also in the loop (will go back in shortly). For the test I'm running the rad fans at 100 percent (2000 RPM) and the pumps at 100 percent. The GPU is not manually overclocked for this test and all sliders (power and voltage) are left at stock settings.

Stress test used: Unigine Heaven max settings at 720p (so I could see hwmonitor on the same screen)
Fluid temp at idle: 24C
GPU temp at idle: 27C
Steady state fluid temp at full GPU load: 26C
Max GPU temp at full load: 43C

With a more realistic fan speed of 800RPM, the full load max temp for the GPU is 48C. With a mild overclock, over 50C is observed. Also note that some stress tests will push the GPU further, such as TimeSpy. The TimeSpy stress test saw a peak of 50C at stock settings, 800RPM on the rad fans.

I have re-applied the thermal paste 3 times (Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut) and the thermal pads are placed exactly as shown in the instructions. My Titan X Pascal with an EK block in the same loop doesn't even pass 31C in the same exact scenaro while overclocked to the max and with a shunt mod.

In conclusion, I think there is something off about Bitspower's block for this card. The block for the reference 2080 Ti does not appear to suffer the same issue, as suggested by a few people at OCN. My recommendation is to stay away from this block unless the aesthetics are worth more than cooling potential.
26 REPLIES 26

JustinThyme
Level 13
The OP tried the Bitspower, looks OK but a ghost too. I found one at a microcenter but couldnt get two. Im not a fan of it. The block itself is OK, doesnt have the restricter at the input to the channels though so Im thinking thats probably a performance hit. Techpowerup did a review on the Byski blocks and it wasnt favorable, about 5-6C drop in thermal performance on the VRMs. Barrow just released blocks and I have two on the way, be here Monday. I thought they looked like EK knock offs but I got educated.

Performance PCs had 3 left when I bought up two of them so one left!! They are much more cost effective than the EK as well. PPCs said that EK and Watercool have both been promising delivery and its not happening. ATM they said EK pushed back to mid February and watercool is looking like late March or April. As much as I wanted to do the heatkiller blocks they arent worth waiting that long for as two of these even in a large case dumps some serious heat!!

Techpowerup comparison EK to Byski on 1080Ti

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Water_Cooling_the_Asus_GTX_1080_Ti_Strix/

Thermal take has one out too

https://www.ttpremium.com/product/pacific-v-rtx-2080ti-plus-asus-rog/

The chokes circled is whats stopping from being able to use a reference cooler. Dont know why they turned them 90 degress like that

Im not sure why EK and Heatkiller are so late to the party. This is costing them a ton in sales and promoting sales for others as these cards are becoming more avaialble

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx2080ti/

EDIT, Barrow production is junk, dont buy it!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Barrow just released blocks and I have two on the way, be here Monday. I thought they looked like EK knock offs but I got educated Today talking with a purchaser at performance PCs. Turns out that I had it backwards. EK licenses the design from Barrow!

Please, stop spreading false rumours. Every EK block is designed inhouse, and basically copied by Chinese manufacturers.

EK Strix block is scheduled for 1st of February as a most likely launch date.

Kutalion wrote:
Please, stop spreading false rumours. Every EK block is designed inhouse, and basically copied by Chinese manufacturers.

EK Strix block is scheduled for 1st of February as a most likely launch date.

Not rumor, from a reliable source that reps both blocks. My jaw hit the floor too and I questioned it and was provided with enough proof to satisfy my inquiry. Will see when EK block hits the market this time as Barrow already produced one. Crappy delivery but theirs is out so they could not have copied EK. Your assumption was also mine as thats the first thing I said that the barrow looks like an EK knock off. I was wrong, it was the inverse. Not saying that EK didnt take a design and do it better, just that the original design was indeed Barrows that has been around on the Asian market well before EK was founded. Barrow started up in 1983, EKWB 21 years later in 2004.

I can say first hand that Barrow blocks are indeed made from inferior materials and the craftsmanship is poor at best. That doesnt change the primary designs that have been bought more than once. Not saying it happens with all of them but it does in fact happen. Im not going to divulge the source as that would be unethical as it was a conversation between two people and could cost them their job.

Ill lay very good odds from more sources that an EK block doesn't happen in 3 days. They haven't published any date and best info from reputable sources that works with them is mid February at the earliest. A direct inquiry a week ago was replied with "We plan on making one but no vailable dates, watch the news page for a release. Watercool had Available in Jan 2019 up on their pages for a few months. Just a few days ago they changed it to February.

I tried the barrow, design looks good except for one major flaw where the Nvlink bridge cant be fitted due to the placement of the G 1/4 terminal. The plating was cheaply done and no cuts or drill and tap points were even deburred, I bled on one of the blocks.

Right now round two Phanteks blocks are inbound and they are being accused of being a Watercool knock off. Ive had enough issues with EK lately that Im not going there again for the forseeble future.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Not rumor, from a reliable source that reps both blocks. My jaw hit the floor too and I questioned it and was provided with enough proof to satisfy my inquiry. Will see when EK block hits the market this time as Barrow already produced one. Crappy delivery but theirs is out so they could not have copied EK. Your assumption was also mine as thats the first thing I said that the barrow looks like an EK knock off. I was wrong, it was the inverse. Not saying that EK didnt take a design and do it better, just that the original design was indeed Barrows that has been around on the Asian market well before EK was founded. Barrow started up in 1983, EKWB 21 years later in 2004.

I can say first hand that Barrow blocks are indeed made from inferior materials and the craftsmanship is poor at best. That doesnt change the primary designs that have been bought more than once. Not saying it happens with all of them but it does in fact happen. Im not going to divulge the source as that would be unethical as it was a conversation between two people and could cost them their job.

Ill lay very good odds from more sources that an EK block doesn't happen in 3 days. They haven't published any date and best info from reputable sources that works with them is mid February at the earliest. A direct inquiry a week ago was replied with "We plan on making one but no vailable dates, watch the news page for a release. Watercool had Available in Jan 2019 up on their pages for a few months. Just a few days ago they changed it to February.

I tried the barrow, design looks good except for one major flaw where the Nvlink bridge cant be fitted due to the placement of the G 1/4 terminal. The plating was cheaply done and no cuts or drill and tap points were even deburred, I bled on one of the blocks.

Right now round two Phanteks blocks are inbound and they are being accused of being a Watercool knock off. Ive had enough issues with EK lately that Im not going there again for the forseeble future.

I can't exactly comment on first block iterations a decade ago, but modern EK blocks are all designed inhouse. I work in EKWB, thus I share with you my own knowledge. I mean I watch our RND guys draw the blocks in Solidworks and other things I know nothing about and do some calculations flow stuff etc.

If you check out a live sample Strix 2080Ti block was showcased ~2 months ago. The design was finalized, but production components were holding EK back.
If you have issues with EK products, please contact us on Facebook page or over support tickets and we'll do everything to sort you out and fix whatever is troubling you.

Kutalion wrote:
I can't exactly comment on first block iterations a decade ago, but modern EK blocks are all designed inhouse. I work in EKWB, thus I share with you my own knowledge. I mean I watch our RND guys draw the blocks in Solidworks and other things I know nothing about and do some calculations flow stuff etc.

If you check out a live sample Strix 2080Ti block was showcased ~2 months ago. The design was finalized, but production components were holding EK back.
If you have issues with EK products, please contact us on Facebook page or over support tickets and we'll do everything to sort you out and fix whatever is troubling you.

I did contact EK and got.....Check the news page.....Wheres the link to this showcase from 2 months ago? All I see is an announcement to a private invitation only viewing in a hotel room in Mandalay Bay.

Like I stated I cant speak for all blocks, just as you cannot.

Are you serious that a simple back has been a hold up for more than two months?

JustinThyme wrote:
I did contact EK and got.....Check the news page.....Wheres the link to this showcase from 2 months ago? All I see is an announcement to a private invitation only viewing in a hotel room in Mandalay Bay.

Like I stated I cant speak for all blocks, just as you cannot.

Are you serious that a simple back has been a hold up for more than two months?

Some of the delay is due is due to us. EK were in talks with us over a combined project. I don’t have to disclose the details, because it’s not anyone’s business. However, I do know EK designs their own blocks. You can choose not to believe that, but, from here on, keep those opinions to yourself, please. This isn’t the forum for it. The last thing we need is a legal wrangle.

JustinThyme wrote:
Not rumor, from a reliable source that reps both blocks.

Can you say who this PPCs rep was? I know most of them, ditto people at EK and Barrow, and Bitspower and many others. Most of what you say is factually incorrect. Barrow and EKWB have nothing in common aside from some EK products being manufactured in China, and Barrow is a predominantly Chinese company.

vsg28 wrote:
Can you say who this PPCs rep was? I know most of them, ditto people at EK and Barrow, and Bitspower and many others. Most of what you say is factually incorrect. Barrow and EKWB have nothing in common aside from some EK products being manufactured in China, and Barrow is a predominantly Chinese company.

Not PPCs and as stated its unethical to drag this person into mudslinging.
Take it or leave it, think Ripley's......
Facts remain. You want to prove it as rumor then be my guest, your claim to anything being factually incorrect is not plausible without evidentiary support. I trust the person who provided me with support more than an anonymous forum poster.

If you are hell bent and you know all of the vendors then get them to provide you with the support. Easy enough.

As for EK making some parts in china that's a bit contradictory to an earlier statement all designs and manufacturing are done in house. So who is right wit that one? You or the member who says he works for EKWB?

If the info is wrong then its wrong, just passing along what was provided by a reputable source. If its a lie, then they told it. I have no reason to disbelieve this person though nor to spread rumors. Like I stated I was dumbfounded myself.

JustinThyme wrote:
Not rumor, from a reliable source that reps both blocks..., just that the original design was indeed Barrows that has been around on the Asian market well before EK was founded. Barrow started up in 1983, EKWB 21 years later in 2004.

Barrow started in 1983?
http://www.barrowint.com/index.php/article/changshangxinxi.html?fbclid=IwAR0nQqZzNnBvP_KY8Ip2qv-cV-y...

They say themselves that they were founded in 2010. But who am I to argue a reliable source.

JustinThyme wrote:
Not PPCs and as stated its unethical to drag this person into mudslinging.
Take it or leave it, think Ripley's......
Facts remain. You want to prove it as rumor then be my guest, your claim to anything being factually incorrect is not plausible without evidentiary support. I trust the person who provided me with support more than an anonymous forum poster.

As for EK making some parts in china that's a bit contradictory to an earlier statement all designs and manufacturing are done in house. So who is right wit that one? You or the member who says he works for EKWB?

If the info is wrong then its wrong, just passing along what was provided by a reputable source. If its a lie, then they told it. I have no reason to disbelieve this person though nor to spread rumors. Like I stated I was dumbfounded myself.

It's not mudslinging, somebody is clearly spreading false information that hurt the company reputation. And you're helping. If you're spreading the lie, you're equally guilty of it. But you can keep trusting your source, we'll just keep disproving all the "facts".

I said all EK products are designed inhouse. I never said everything was manufactured inhouse. Radiators are manufactured in China, everything else basically in EU. Every product has a clear writting where they were manufactured on the website.

JustinThyme wrote:
Wheres the link to this showcase from 2 months ago?

https://m.facebook.com/EKWaterBlocks/posts/1936359733084715:45

🙂

@Raja and Varun
Thanks for stepping in guys to correct the wrong. Much ❤️

jelome1989
Level 7
Yeah I agree, don't know what's keeping them. What about the backplate? I haven't seen any for the Strix