cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 Ti Strix owners: Beware of Bitspower Strix block

gridironcpj
Level 9
I purchased a block designed for the 2080 Ti Strix (it's also compatible with the 2080 Strix) from Bitspower and it seems to have some sort of design flaw, as my temperatures are very bad given my loop configuration.

Loop order is as follows: Reservoir -> D5 pump -> D5 pump -> BP Strix block -> EK Supremacy Evo -> 480mm rad -> 480mm rad

Note that the radiators are both Black Ice Nemesis 480 GTXs, which are among the best radiators out there. The two D5s are overkill for this setup, but they were used when I had a 420mm rad also in the loop (will go back in shortly). For the test I'm running the rad fans at 100 percent (2000 RPM) and the pumps at 100 percent. The GPU is not manually overclocked for this test and all sliders (power and voltage) are left at stock settings.

Stress test used: Unigine Heaven max settings at 720p (so I could see hwmonitor on the same screen)
Fluid temp at idle: 24C
GPU temp at idle: 27C
Steady state fluid temp at full GPU load: 26C
Max GPU temp at full load: 43C

With a more realistic fan speed of 800RPM, the full load max temp for the GPU is 48C. With a mild overclock, over 50C is observed. Also note that some stress tests will push the GPU further, such as TimeSpy. The TimeSpy stress test saw a peak of 50C at stock settings, 800RPM on the rad fans.

I have re-applied the thermal paste 3 times (Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut) and the thermal pads are placed exactly as shown in the instructions. My Titan X Pascal with an EK block in the same loop doesn't even pass 31C in the same exact scenaro while overclocked to the max and with a shunt mod.

In conclusion, I think there is something off about Bitspower's block for this card. The block for the reference 2080 Ti does not appear to suffer the same issue, as suggested by a few people at OCN. My recommendation is to stay away from this block unless the aesthetics are worth more than cooling potential.
26 REPLIES 26

Abaidor
Level 9
It seems like the 2080Tis are hotter than the 1080Tis...

I have my ROG Strix 1080Ti OC overclocked to the max possible (2085/6100) and the temperature never exceeds 38C with a room temperature of 20C (can't stand more) and no more than 40-41C with a room temp of 26C in the summer.

This is with a Phanteks block which is not the absolute best performer (2-3 degrees higher) but its quality is amazing. I am using an External MO-RA3 radiator with 9X Corsair ML140 Pros spinning at 500rpm pulling air from the coldest brick wall int the room.

I have not tested a 2080Ti and don't plan to do so anytime soon since I am not playing many games but that might change since my son is eyballing my 1080Ti so......
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Abaidor wrote:
It seems like the 2080Tis are hotter than the 1080Tis...

I have my ROG Strix 1080Ti OC overclocked to the max possible (2085/6100) and the temperature never exceeds 38C with a room temperature of 20C (can't stand more) and no more than 40-41C with a room temp of 26C in the summer.

This is with a Phanteks block which is not the absolute best performer (2-3 degrees higher) but its quality is amazing. I am using an External MO-RA3 radiator with 9X Corsair ML140 Pros spinning at 500rpm pulling air from the coldest brick wall int the room.

I have not tested a 2080Ti and don't plan to do so anytime soon since I am not playing many games but that might change since my son is eyballing my 1080Ti so......

The 2080Ti is a huge die, and with 300W+ of heat to dissipate some elevation is to be expected. The real test, however, is when running some of the RTX development tools. Thankfully gamers have no need to run these, though.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
The 2080Ti is a huge die, and with 300W+ of heat to dissipate some elevation is to be expected. The real test, however, is when running some of the RTX development tools. Thankfully gamers have no need to run these, though.

Hi,
Yeah it's disappointing a little but I'll be passing on the 20 series
Maybe next round my gpu's are working well as is 🙂
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JustinThyme
Level 13
Thanks for the link

Now if you guys are done mud slinging passing off things none of us know for fact, and I do mean NONE here is the C&P from the corrspomdance where I was asking about blocks for the strix, specifically the EK and my statement was Barrow looks like an EK knock off. Please stop reading things that are not there and making assumptions. I’ll leave it at*this

I didn’t just dream stuff up and I’m going back to the person and calling them out and see what they have to say, like I said, if any of it is a lie they told it.

“*. EK is supposed to have theirs out very soon, but they dont have an exact ETA yet... Heatkiller will probably be even longer of a wait as they aren't shipping any products to anyone until February or March since theyre so backed up. As far as Barrow being a knock off... EK and Bitspower both used to buy designs from Barrow, so technically EK and Bits are the knock offs XD Barrow's blocks are going to perform just as well as any other GPU block on the market, so I really wouldnt let that deter you from their blocks, unless you just really dont like how they look. In that case, you'll probably have to wait for the Heatkiller version.”

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Thanks for the link

Now if you guys are done mud slinging passing off things none of us know for fact, and I do mean NONE here is the C&P from the corrspomdance where I was asking about blocks for the strix, specifically the EK and my statement was Barrow looks like an EK knock off. Please stop reading things that are not there and making assumptions. I’ll leave it at*this

I didn’t just dream stuff up and I’m going back to the person and calling them out and see what they have to say, like I said, if any of it is a lie they told it.

If you had practised what you're preaching in this post, none of this would have happened. For the record, here is what your post stated before you went back and edited it yesterday:

It states that you think EK licenses their blocks from Barrows. You subsequently argued with anyone that questioned the statement, demanding they post evidence, yet you provided none to substantiate your initial statement. And its telling you later removed the statement from your post. Now you come back claiming people are mudslinging. Quite an act, but the game is up. I can tolerate quite a lot, but I'm not up for needless disruption and double standards. Banned.

vsg28
Level 7
^This, except he edited it even before that as shown in the quoted section by the first post from the EK rep on page 2. Plus, I like how he has edited that post to link my own review now 😄

gridironcpj
Level 9
Sorry for the late update, but I ended up getting a Founder's Edition and an EK block back in December and my experiences suggest there may have been something functionally wrong with that Bitspower Strix waterblock. I have been using an EK full cover block for my 2080 Ti FE and temps never exceed 40C in stress testing with my maximum OC under the same loop the Strix was in. Also note that the FE I have is flashed with the Galax 380W BIOS, so max temps here are much lower than the Strix and with higher power consumption. The Strix caps out at 325W from what I recall. I ended up getting rid of the Strix since I have no need for a second card and the FE I have outperforms it.

Keep in mind this is just my experience I am describing. I assembled and disassembled that Bitspower block multiple times and I kept getting roughly the same result with cooling performance.

EK has a Strix waterblock available for preorder finally, so it may be worth checking that out if you have the Strix.