cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 ti coil whine strix

rckrz6
Level 7
I moved from a 1080 strix to a 2080 ti strix and this thing has very annoying coil whine. The 1080 only had a slight hum which is tolerable in a silent PC. I can hear this 2080 ti buzzing across the room, should i exchange it or are they all like this
33 REPLIES 33

cekeu
Level 12
I keep my choice for ASUS for screens and motherboards (I don't use AI Suite) when I had custom graphics cards from Asus there were already reel whistling problems

Tech_Enthusiast
Level 7
Yeah, sounds just like ours do.
Granted it is hard to tell if your fans are louder than mine, or my Strix is screaming more than yours. But sure sounds like the same batch of bad GPU if you ask me.

The fans work as advertised and are silent at idle, mine are a bit louder than normal under load because i've set a more aggressive curve in an effort to keep the temps low, altho the fans you hear in the video are mostly the CPU's current AIO cooler.

Regardless, fan noise is drowned by the awful buzzing coming from the GPU which ruins any kind of activity that involves the GPU clocks going high.

My only question is since the seller doesn't want the card back (understandable and my fault, i've exceeded the 30 days return delay waiting for the thor 1200w to be available in order to rule out a PSU problem.) can i start a RMA process directly with asus and if so how do i proceed?

Tech_Enthusiast
Level 7
Sad to see the most silent 2080ti, to be such a screamy monster with coil whine as well.
Kinda defeats the purpose of paying extra for a good cooling solution.

Glad i bought from Amazon. They don't mind me waiting untill they get a replacement in stock. Once the replacement is here, they will take the old GPU back.
Had a Gamer on the phone when calling them, and she also had a 2080ti, tho from another company, and told me she did not experience any coil whine whatsoever before hitting 200+ fps and her clock speeds did not cause any of this. She can go for a stable (envy alarm!) 2100 mhz and with an open system there is no whine whatsoever.

So for her it seems to be just like it was for me in the past 20+ years: Every GPU has coil whine, if you get to absurdly high FPS.
This time around FPS don't matter at all! Even if I am at 30 fps, it still whines, the moment I pass 1400 mhz.

This seems like an important distinction and I would love to see some kind of confirmation from Asus about this issue. Is this unexpected behavior? Do all Strix cry bloody murder after 1400-1500 mhz? Is there a reasonable chance to get a replacement without this issue? After all we have to wait MONTHS to get one. I sure as hell won't wait for a third Strix if the replacement goes bad. I would likely just buy an GPU that is in stock and about 1000 bucks, and use the saved 450 Euro on a water cooler + some beer.

I don't think this is expected behavior else there would be a riot if they all did that considering it's a $1500~ GPU. Also doubt reviewers would let this go without saying anything but they get sent cherry picked samples so who knows.

Anyways i've sent a support request and asked for a replacement, we'll see how this goes.

Tech_Enthusiast
Level 7
So, I am on my 5th (!!!) Strix now, and the best I got was one OC version that only started screaming at me once it hit 1600mhz. All the others started between 1300 and 1450mhz.
Sick of this tbh.

Tried three different premium Power Supplies to make sure (Seasonic Platinum 750w, Asus Thor 850w and Seasonic X Series), no luck with either of them. Nothing seems to help at all.

Gonna switch to EVGA and hope for the best. Not gonna keep a screaming Strix in my rig, when cheaper GPUs are actually 300 bucks cheaper and more silent.

Tech Enthusiast wrote:
So, I am on my 5th (!!!) Strix now, and the best I got was one OC version that only started screaming at me once it hit 1600mhz. All the others started between 1300 and 1450mhz.
Sick of this tbh.

Tried three different premium Power Supplies to make sure (Seasonic Platinum 750w, Asus Thor 850w and Seasonic X Series), no luck with either of them. Nothing seems to help at all.

Gonna switch to EVGA and hope for the best. Not gonna keep a screaming Strix in my rig, when cheaper GPUs are actually 300 bucks cheaper and more silent.

I got lucky my 2nd card buzzes but’s hardly noticeable compared to the first card I had (it screamed). It got even quiter after a few months from when I opened the box

Tech Enthusiast wrote:
Sick of this tbh.

i suggest trying your card in a new motherboard, i once bought a motherboard that caused coil whine on a video card that didn't exhibit the issue with the old board

Tech_Enthusiast
Level 7
Lucky you.
I may try removing the backplate tomorrow. Some people claim it 95% fixed their coil whine... who knows how that is possible, but i am getting desperate after almost 6 months of waiting.
If that fails as well, I won't try anymore tbh. 5 tries is enough. Not gonna buy another Strix anytime soon.

Tech Enthusiast wrote:
Lucky you.
I may try removing the backplate tomorrow. Some people claim it 95% fixed their coil whine...

Did you find a solution for your coil whine problem in these two years? I also read about the backplate being the culprit. Did it help removing it?