Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W8.1 Raidr as Second drive not recognized as SSD

DragonClaVV
Level 9
Hey guys,

just wanted to let the ASUS guys know:

Windows 8.1 has problems to detect the Raidr as an SSD.

Point 1: If installed on the Raidr the Raidr is shown as a Hard drive in the menu where you can manually start to defreg/optimize the computer hard drives. The problem with this is that Trim does not work!

If you run winsat formal the drive get recognized as SSD and trim started to work. But i think not many people know this command and microsoft has hidden the System tool do analyze the performance. Worst case: A never trimmed Raidr.

Point 2: If you use the Raidr not for the os as a sedcond drive you can run winsat formal too. But it doenst let the Raidr to be reognized as an SSD and Trim ist not working.

Havent tryed that without a Raid on the drive. So i think its a bug with W8.1 and raided SSDs to be recognized as SSDs

Greetings
11 REPLIES 11

Praz
Level 13
It is a bug with Win8.1.

DragonClaVV
Level 9
Hope they fix it soon havent find a link to get in contact with microsoft where i dont have to make 500 choices until i get an email or something to contact them..

Nodens
Level 16
Open an admin command prompt window and run "winsat formal". That should fix it.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

DragonClaVV
Level 9
No tryed that already 😞 see point 2. That just works if the raidr is the os drive

Nodens
Level 16
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinSAT in registry and export that key to winsat.reg then post a like to it here. We'll figure a workaround to the bug:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Hope i understand you right with that file.

greetings

Nodens
Level 16
Ok try right click and import this winsat.reg and then reboot. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64810339/winsat.zip

(Don't worry there's nothing dangerous in the .reg. I've just edited detected random read speeds for your disks. Do not run winsat again cause it will revert these changes).

RealBench Developer.

DragonClaVV
Level 9
Didnt work

Nodens
Level 16
Hold on, I'll do some deeper digging to see exactly where it's flagged.

RealBench Developer.