Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zeroing in on stablity for new setup - Z790 Dark Hero, i9-14900kf, DDR5 64gb

Cirha
Level 8

Setup: 

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor
GPU: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card
Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 CL36-36-36-96 1.35V 64GB (2x32GB) (F5-6000J3636F32GX2-TZ5RW)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

After making some upgrades to my PC, essentially a new build, I'm having a bit of stability issues. Previously I was getting games crashing on startup, even causing the entire PC to instantly reboot or BSOD. After digging through the forums here, I seem to have gotten past that by changing the mother board settings to default and ASUS Multicore Enhancement to disabled - enforce all limits. 

I have installed 62gb of DDR5 memory (https://www.gskill.com/product/165/374/1688607621/F5-6000J3636F32GX2-TZ5RW) but the bios are running no XMP and no overclock of any kind since I was getting crashes and instability with either or both of those options on. Which means the RAM is only running at 4800mhz at the moment.

As someone newer to working with these parts and dialing them in, I'm just looking for where to start or what settings to change to begin getting the most out of the CPU, RAM, and motherboard combo without having crashes and BSODs. 

16 REPLIES 16

I am using 14900K.   Using LL5 and 140%.

Cirha
Level 8

Update to the issues 12/29/2023 ----- I updated BIOS to 0801 a few days after it was released. Just happened to notice there was an update. There might have been a slight up tick in stability, but was I was still having issues overall with programs and sometimes the PC itself crashing. After researching more on the i9-14900k(f), I found a few similar instances of people with instability problems. They were able to undervolt the system and get things to somewhat normal, but posted an update that the problem was only becoming worse with time and they were in the process of RMA'ing the CPU. 

I am currently waiting for my replacement i9, intel accepted the RMA no problem with the information I gave them. Having swapped back to my i9-12900kf and everything running smooth as butter. I am almost positive its just a bad chip. Will post another update after the new one arrives, but if you're having instability issues with the i9-14900 I would keep that in mind.  

Is your system okay, have you fixed it yet? If you haven't, please refer to the following articles: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/intel-700-600-series/intel-me-and-bios-updates-general-advice/td-p/913... I think it's possible to update: Intel ME driver New Intel ME firmware then go to BIOS (If the BIOS is already the latest, you don't need it anymore) After you read the above article, you will understand that if you want to update the BIOS, you need to have the corresponding Intel ME and Intel ME Drivers first. This means that if you want to update the BIOS, you will need to update the latest Intel ME Driver and Intel ME Firmware first. To get the latest Drivers and firmware, choose the correct Motherboard model in Mokichu's article: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/hardware-build-advice/index-all-my-drivers- firmware-software-threads/m-p/827232 In Bro Mokichu's article, there are full drivers and firmware. I think your problem can be fixed if you update DRIVER INTEL ME and FIRMWARE INTEL ME. 

After installing everything, try again and if it doesn't work, Clear the CMOS. Then try resetting BIOS defaults.
Do you want to try ?

@Cirha wrote:

Update to the issues 12/29/2023 ----- I updated BIOS to 0801 a few days after it was released. Just happened to notice there was an update. There might have been a slight up tick in stability, but was I was still having issues overall with programs and sometimes the PC itself crashing. After researching more on the i9-14900k(f), I found a few similar instances of people with instability problems. They were able to undervolt the system and get things to somewhat normal, but posted an update that the problem was only becoming worse with time and they were in the process of RMA'ing the CPU. 

I am currently waiting for my replacement i9, intel accepted the RMA no problem with the information I gave them. Having swapped back to my i9-12900kf and everything running smooth as butter. I am almost positive its just a bad chip. Will post another update after the new one arrives, but if you're having instability issues with the i9-14900 I would keep that in mind.  

Not that it's of any great help to you , but i had terrible issues with a 14900k on a Hero Z790 (1801 bios). Crazy temps and instability issues and i have since bought another motherboard Z790 Apex Encore and it has no stability issues whatsoever. I would not bet on it being the CPU at fault , as i exhausted my chats with ASUS support/This Forum and Ram Manufacturers with the issues i was having and eventually got Intel support to also start the process of a RMA on the CPU . But it's clearly not the CPU that's at fault with my particular issue as another motherboard cured the problems i was having.

Thank you very much bro. I really appreciate this valuable advice and information. I would also like to share that I will wait a little more time to see if there is something great that can change this situation. For example, a BIOS update or something from the motherboard manufacturer to be compatible with the 14900k. That's my idea but I still really want to hear your advice

If I hire a motherboard to be tested to receive warranty coverage or change the Z790 dark hero to ASUS APEX, what do I need to do? I mean tests, checks or something to prove that the instability problem is due to the Z790 Dark Hero motherboard. Will they accept my exchange?

@Dragonfly79887 wrote:

If I hire a motherboard to be tested to receive warranty coverage or change the Z790 dark hero to ASUS APEX, what do I need to do? I mean tests, checks or something to prove that the instability problem is due to the Z790 Dark Hero motherboard. Will they accept my exchange?

I would personally go down the route of getting in contact with ASUS support directly before you do anything and explain the issue to them. I gave them 6 weeks of contact and every time all i heard from them is that the RAM was the issue as it was not on the QVL list for that motherboard, despite the ram working fine on other motherboards. Sadly i never had the chance to test another CPU in my board  like you hava managed to do . Through desperation after 6 weeks i made the decision and just went and bought a new motherboard as i needed the computer for work. Hopefully they can assist you in resolving the matter without you having to incur any expense.