Z790A WiFi - Help with Memories - Badly Needed

DannyETH
Level 8

Hi everybody,

I have a Z790A WiFi motherboard with

Intel Core i9-13900KF Socket 1700 Box
Asus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
Asus ROG THOR 1000P2 Gaming 1000 W

I have 2 kits of Kingston KF556C40BBAK2-64 (4 x 32GB DDR5 5600 DIMMs) as I want to have 128 GB RAM.
These memories are listed as compatible with this MB on Asus compatibility chart.
I literally cannot make the system to work and/or install Windows 10. 
I tried to use XMP1 and XMP2 profiles, nothing works, I keep getting errors. Bios is updated to the latest version. I even tried to leave Auto setting in AI Tweaker and change only the memory speed in Dram Frequency field.

I also tried XMP1 and XMP2 profiles with lower frequencies, this did not work either, still got errors and BSODs in Windows 10 setup.

The ONLY way it seems to work is if I leave only two 32GB DIMMs in the motherboard with Ai Tweaker on Auto and it works at 4000MHz, but obviously this is not a solution.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13

DannyETH
Level 8

Hopefully somebody from Asus is watching these threads and comes up with the necessary Bios updates. Its extremely time consuming and also frustrating to buy 5600 MHz memories only to use them at 4800 MHz, and this after many many hours of trials and errors, forum posts, etc.

I don't think so 😞

The 1003 bios for the z790-a prime wifi notes "Improve memory compatibility"
But the problem is it also notes "To comply with Wi-Fi regulation in Japan, this version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions."

8012 was far worse for my ram than 8009 making overclocking impossible, so with no way to go back I dare not try 1003  😞