cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790-I weird Q-LED sequence

xnd3r
Level 7
Hello All,

I have ROG STRIX Z790-I (BIOS 0812), 13700K, and 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6400 CL32-39-39-102 (XMP enabled).
When I turn on PC, Q-LED sequence is always the same - CPU->DRAM->CPU->DRAM->VGA->Boot Device. So, it goes from CPU to DRAM, then back to CPU. It is not an infinite cycle, just one "retry". After that PC boots up normally, and works stable. Didn't run a lot of stability tests, just couple times Cinebench, Geekbench, and normal PC usage, mostly gaming.
Also, if I reboot PC, Q-LED sequence is normal (CPU->DRAM->VGA->Boot Device). The weird sequence happens only on power up, after PC was shut down.

Same behavior even without XMP enabled. Anyone has an idea why it behaves like that? Could be memory issue, or MB does not set some settings automatically to proper values?

P.S.: My memory kit is not on the QVL on ASUS website, but my MB is on QVL on G.Skill website, which is a bit weird also.
2 REPLIES 2

JohnAb
Level 17
Out of interest, I just tried restarting my PC (690 Hero) in different ways and the exact LED sequence seems to vary (if I have remembered correctly), as follows:

Restart (PSU left on ) = normal sequence = red, yellow, white, green
Boot after shutdown (PSU left on) = red, red, red, yellow, white green
Boot after shutdown (PSU off) = red, yellow, red, yellow, white, green (which seems to match what you have described)

There are also codes that flash up briefly between the LED sequences given above.

As long as the LEDs are all off once it gets past the POST process, then I don't think there is anything to worry about. I had not noticed any of this before, so I'm assuming it's normal, as I have no problems that I'm aware of.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Johuafaabiol
Level 7

Hi I have the same build as you, slight variation on mobo (Z790a) and the exact same q-led sequences on boot / restart that you have. 

Did you get anywhere with this? I contacted ASUS support but they won't give me a straight answer to the question, is this normal lol!