cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790-i NVME not detected after upgrading BIOS to 2102

Robmoo
Level 8

I upgraded my Z790-i mini ITX MB to BOIS version 2102 and the MB quit recognizing my NVME drives.  I have a Samsung 980pro 2TB with my OS and a 960 Pro 2TB with some backup data.  They were working fine in 2002.  I haven't been able to get my RAM to work at XMP settings and 2102 had the promise of fixing this issue.  

Is there a BIOS setting that I'm missing that I need to change back for the MB to see the 2 NVME drives?  WTH?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Robmoo
Level 8

I found the issue.  Intel RSST was enabled.  This prevented the MB from recognizing my 2 m.2 drives.  

I loaded Bios 2002 and still had the issue.  At this point I knew that it was some setting in the Bios that I had missed.  After about an hour of going through the settings I noticed that the Intel RST was enabled and turned it off.  Once I rebooted the drives showed up in the NVME menu in the Bios.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

1TM1TM
Level 11

Samsungs are among the most compatible drives, I haven't had an Asus board not recognize one.

Sounds like 2102 is undercooked. With NVME not seen, and PCIe devices not seen.

Try to flash to 2002.

Regarding memory and XMP: start (after flashing to 2002) by setting Tweaker to XMP-II (which is the least aggressive) and the memory speed to 6000 or to the rated speed minus 400. Gradually work your way up in 200 increments (while testing for 3-4 minutes with built-in Memtest86 built-in test with CPU set to all cores at each step). Once you start seeing errors in the BIOS Memtest86, change IMC voltage (in advanced memory, at the bottom of Tweaker menu) to 1.4V and Transmitter to 1.25V to see if that eliminates errors in Memtest86. If so, call it a day. If not,  step back 200 and Memtest86 for the complete cycle (with multi-core setting). After that, use your favorite memory test software or y-cruncher VST or VT3 mode for 1 hour to verify stability.

Robmoo
Level 8

I found the issue.  Intel RSST was enabled.  This prevented the MB from recognizing my 2 m.2 drives.  

I loaded Bios 2002 and still had the issue.  At this point I knew that it was some setting in the Bios that I had missed.  After about an hour of going through the settings I noticed that the Intel RST was enabled and turned it off.  Once I rebooted the drives showed up in the NVME menu in the Bios.  

bdowne01
Level 7

I'm having a similar problem on a Z790 Maximus Extreme on the latest 2102 BIOS when XMP is enabled.    The system has two NVMe drives, a Samsung 990Pro boot drive and a WD Black SN850X.   Using 2 rather mild 6600 QVL-listed G.Skill sticks.

With XMP in any permutation enabled (I, II, Tweaked or Manual) the 990Pro boot drive M.2_1 slot disappears from the system.  The slot is detected, but it acts as if there is no NVMe drive installed.   Disable XMP (in any manner) and it comes back.   The WD Black in M.2_2 remains detected no matter the situation.

Very bizarre problem. 

bdowne01
Level 7

More info on the issue I'm seeing.  It is beginning to feel like a bug in the BIOS code, I think.

If start off with XMP disabled entirely (AI Overclock Tuner = Auto), then set to Manual and input all tyhe XMP settings manually except DRAM Frequency setting (i.e. leaving it at Auto) the system continues to see the M.2_1 slot NVMe and boots with the default DDR5 4800Mhz speed.

After that test, I left the other settings as-is, and changed the DRAM Frequency setting from Auto -> 4800Mhz.   I.e. the same setting, but manually input.   Reboot, the system still sees the M.2_1 slot.

After that success, I changed the DRAM Frequency setting to the XMP value of DDR5-6600Mhz.    On reboot the M.2_1 slot is gone.  So this confirms it is that setting causing the issue. 

But here's why I think it is a bug:   After it disappears, if I put it back to the original speed that worked, 4800Mhz, it is still missing on reboot.   Same is true if I put it back to the Auto setting.

The only way to get it to return is to completely turn off XMP (AI Overclock Tuner->Auto) and reboot.

Super strange behavior.

Check to see if the Intel RAID controller is switched on.  If it is turn it off and reboot.  It solved my issue. 

Your problem could be a different issue.

Galixte
Level 9

On my ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-I motherboard, these are my settings to activate my two M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 4 x4 SSD:
Enable VMD controller [Disabled]
M.2_2 Link Speed [Gen4]
PCIEX16(G5) Link Speed [Auto]
M.2_1(CPU_G5) Link Speed [Auto]
M.2_1(PCH_G4) Link Speed [Gen4]
Controller/Host(s) SATA [Disabled]
PCIe Bandwidth Bifurcation Configuration [X16]

ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-I - ASUS ROG STRIX 4070 Ti - Intel 13700K - G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6400 64GB (2x32GB)