cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 hero xmp

robb543
Level 7
Anyone else getting boot loops with their Z790 Hero with the new gskill 7600 ram? I got the F5-7600J3646G16G and it's on the approved ram list with the hero but I'm getting bootloops at xmp and even at 7000 I'm getting ram errors.
86 REPLIES 86

Xmptroubles wrote:
I've got an z790-e gaming wifi with bios 0703, 13900k cpu, gskill hynix 7600mhz rated ram, corsair h170i cooler, and official contact frame. Running passmark memtest free 9.4 from bios setup.

Bios is set to default except Adaptive boost and Asus multicore enhancement are both disabled.

XMP I and ram voltage values:
Currently undervolting.
Sa 1.13
Imc 1.25
Vdd 1.35
Vddq 1.35

6800mhz - pass 4/4
7000mhz - pass 4/4
7200mhz - occasional errors
7400-7600mhz - many errors within the first minute, obvious fail.

Xmp II is even worse.
Tried overvolting with no success.
Read about mobo buckling and loosened the h170i screws a bit. No change.
Cleared cmos, no change.

Is it safe to assume it's not a hardware fault? The cpu and mobo socket look fine and I can run benchmarks on windows at 6800-7000mhz.

Should I rma something? Keep messing with timings? Reseat the cpu? Or wait for a new bios. Thanks.

I have same system. I was suffering in 502 bios. I fixed in 703 bios.
Try to all default settings on bios. Then set XMP2 and choose 7600mhz. Set memory controller 1,400v, And maybe your ram need little more voltage. Just try 1,42v. (There is no harm at all). And disable Asus multicore enhancement and AI overclocking. If you not stable try 7400mhz, 7200mhz or 7000mhz.
If you still not stable. Try to change rams. If your kit in A2 and B2. Try to changed rams in same slots. If you still have trouble try to test single rams in A2 and B2. Probably your B2 DIMM is best. (cause i have same mobo i had same issue)

akinkucuk wrote:
I have same system. I was suffering in 502 bios. I fixed in 703 bios.
Try to all default settings on bios. Then set XMP2 and choose 7600mhz. Set memory controller 1,400v, And maybe your ram need little more voltage. Just try 1,42v. (There is no harm at all). And disable Asus multicore enhancement and AI overclocking. If you not stable try 7400mhz, 7200mhz or 7000mhz.
If you still not stable. Try to change rams. If your kit in A2 and B2. Try to changed rams in same slots. If you still have trouble try to test single rams in A2 and B2. Probably your B2 DIMM is best. (cause i have same mobo i had same issue)

i just got my z790-e delivered and i plan on starting my build very soon. should i update the bios before building to avoid any headaches??? thanks.

Xmptroubles
Level 9
I returned the ram.

Xmptroubles wrote:
I've been doing more ram testing with the 7600mhz sticks.

Xmp I 6800mhz 8/8 pass on memtest pro 10.0 full test incl hammers and fading. That took 8-9 hours to run. But it still hangs in Windows after 1-2 hours of use.

I know it's the ram because windows is rock solid for days when xmp is off.

So it's not causing memory errors, but still hanging in windows. What does that tell me? The Asus auto voltages for the system agent and imc are too aggressive when the ram frequency scales up. That means undervolting sa and imc is the answer. But don't go too low.

I've tried overvolting sa/imc and didn't see a big change. So if you have a different result please share.

I don't think Dram vdq/vddq voltage is an issue at 1.4. My bios won't go above 1.425v to the ram BTW.

It seems like the silicon lottery between cpu and mobo is preventing the 7600 ram from running at it's xmp speeds. I'm positive I didn't damage anything.

Basically I should return the 7600 ram for something slower and cheaper that my cpu/mobo can run at xmp speeds. Even then I may have to manually adjust the aggressive sa/imc voltages.

If passing Memtest pro but hanging in Windows then the problem can't be isolated to just the memory bus. Are you overclocking the cache?

Auto rules are not a one size fits all solution. VCCSA is not as sensitive on 13th gen as it is on 12th gen CPUs, however tuning can often be needed. Especially where margins are tighter at higher memory speeds. This is why the values can be changed.

System Agent and IMC VDD Auto values. 7000MT (Z690 Apex)

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Xmptroubles
Level 9
Yes, I've figured out even if memtest passes an 8-9 hour run, hanging and silent file crc corruption can still occur in windows, so the ram is still producing errors.

I noticed an incident. I assembled my system 10 days ago.
Only once did my system crash. While playing The Witcher 2. I have no stability issues with all synthetic tests. I'm using windows 11. Rams 7600mhz ddr5.

einherz
Level 7

hi, how many kits you use, i guess 1, but if 2 it's really low probability both will works even at 6600, if you use 1 kit, back to auto>restart>set xmp profile>and restart again, i suggest never play with xmp settings if you didn't start bios in auto, after second restart, for example you start first. memory set auto in 4800, then you restart again and then it's use auto native jdec 5200 and in this situation set xmp and restart.... if no luck, so this bios not support your memory without tweaks.... i'm not tweaker so live with 2kits of fury renegade 6400 with 0816, because every new bios after this one, make memory unusable with xmp, so this is normal situation, when new bios was improved for certain module, but other one won't works good, and if you want use xmp you have to roll back to bios where xmp works.