cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 HERO with XMP 7200 fails

kamillio
Level 8

Hi all, first I'm sory for my english 'm not a native english speaker. So I have read dozens of posts but I haven't found a solution to my problem with my new build. In short: When set XMP (XMP1, XMP2, XMP tweak) profile ram is not stable. Hundreds erros in memtest86 from start. Highest stable setting is 6400. It passes all memory tests. Both mobo and memory are on their QVL list. More detailed examination is below.

My build is:

• mobo: ROG Z790 MAXIMUS HERO (last bios 1202)
  • cpu: i7 13700KF
  • ddr: 2x 16 GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 RGB 7200 CL34-45-45-115 1.40V (F5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK)
  • psu: ROG STRIX 850W
  • vga: ROG STRIX RTX 4070Ti OC

Memory modules are installed in A2/B2. I tried modify voltage and timings and update bios but without success. In fact, this is beyond my knowledge and I don't know what to do and how to set it up. Then I tried sticks separately with the 7200 speed in slot A2 and then B2 with very strange results.

• RAM1 A2 fails from test start - hundred errors
  • RAM1 B2 all test passes
  • RAM2 A2 fails from test start - hundred errors
  • RAM2 B2 1 error test8

RAM1 have 49 celsius, RAM have 51 celsius.

Is it possible that mobo or memory are bad and shoud I return it? I thing maybe rams are bed. Otherwise in SPD and up to 6400 with both sticks is all stable. So maybe there is only problem with compatibility and all hardware is ok. What do you think? Tomorow is last day I can return components. So I would need to make sure that the components are ok and I don't have to worry about the problem in the future and that replacing the components won't solve the problem.

If there is not problem with HW, can you please advise how to set volting and timing if it helps? I'm already frustrated with it.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

Look, going after me isn't going to solve any problems you have.  All I was doing was making a point that having 4 identicle sticks of ram is not the same as having a Kit that came with 4 matched sticks.  This is fact, nothing I say or don't say will change that.  If you feel differently, well I can't change that.  Good luck to you and good day.

@Department76 wrote:

You can call it whatever you want but it doesn’t matter. Why do you think the retail kits from the same vendor cap out at the same speeds I am able to get to run stable with four sticks? There isn’t some magic binning and matching that will overcome the timings limitations at high speeds and four sticks. 

What @bobvoeh is saying is correct. You can keep repeating it till the cows come home, but memory kits exist for a reason. Once you add more modules, the proposed timings, voltage and frequency  may not have the necessary guardband to operate.

The memory kit is binned by the vendor to operate at XMP in the exact density it is sold in. If you combine them, you will need to consider the following things, and there will be only so much guidance others can give you.

1). Evaluate if the kit is able to run at or even close to the rated frequency anymore. This depends on the amount of guardband the memory vendor has put in, the motherboard, platform and CPU. *

2). Evaluate if the kit is able to run at or close to the primary timings the memory vendor has put in. This also depends on the amount of guardband the memory vendor has put in.

3). Evaluate how much voltage the memory needs for the above two points.

4). Evaluate the motherboard sub timings to see if the kits are able to run at or close to the auto ruling assigned by the board vendor.

5). As with any memory kit, evaluate what voltages are needed on the CPU side. (MCVDD / CPU SA).

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090