cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z790 Hero - Usb disconnecting

GGiuliano93
Level 8
Hello, i have an z790 Hero with i9 13900k, 3090ti and ddr5 7200mt/s from gskill, using a corsair 7000x case.

Issue number one: when i plug an external hard drive / or a usb 3 stick on the front panels (didn't try in the rear usb on the motherboard) my wireless keyboard works intermittley (HP OMEN SPACER).
Issue number two: Randomly my usb (mouse, etc) keep disconnecting/reconnecting for 1-2 seconds, it happened like 2-3 times in a month.

What can be? I have the latest bios from asus page 0703. It can be a bios setting? Or my mb is faulty? :S

I have connected those usb:

Razer Viper 8kHZ Mouse
Hp omen spacer Keyboard (wireless with dongle)
Astro a40 Mixamp (USB Headphones)

And nothing else.

Thank you.
21 REPLIES 21

kvarq
Level 11
sometimes Windows update just fraks up drivers of various devices
all the time I'm updating windows I'm not letting Windows to update my drivers
although the option from the advanced should work, windows just ignores it (left), therefore GPEdit stuff must be used (right)

ANOTHER thing: I have the Razer 8kHZ mouse as well, they advise to firmware it... various reasons - also disconnecting issues etc
https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4007

I can report back that disabling USB Legacy and XHCI Handoff in BIOS did NOT fix the issue for me (Z790-E GAMING WIFI).

I wish I could remember when this started on my old system and whether it was really fixed for good (I think it was but not 100% sure) after manually disabling the gaming input device service of Windows 11.
As it stands, there are two possibilities: Windows 11 or one of my USB devices. I'm sure it's not the USB ports on the mainboard as the issue has occurred on my old system with a Z370 chipset as well.

Like many people affected by these very short 1s USB power losses, I get an event ID 28 in the Windows system event logs which points to an issue with a HID device, i.e. it's either my Logitech G815 wired keyboard, Logitech G Pro wireless mouse or Astro A50 headset. Those are the only devices connected to my rig at the moment.

As far as I can tell, it is still also only happening to me during video playback (YT, P-Hub etc. 😄 ) for some reason, especially (but not exclusively) when I skip through a video either by clicking with the mouse or when using the keyboard.
When I use the keyboard then it also "rapidfires" many key strokes at once, i.e. I push right arrow to skip forward and the system acts as if I had pushed right arrow 100 times in that one second or so and in case it is a shorter clip it will skip forward until the end instead of the default 5s on YT videos.

It's pretty weird... I have a suspicion that this could be related to Microsoft's keylogger a.k.a Text Input Service (that can not be disabled in Win 11 22/H2) not playing nice with my G815 keyboard.

Since it is limited to video playback and since it is happening rare enough to not be a major annoyance, I will just deal with it for now. I shall be quite amused if the issue magically goes away with a future Win 11 update. I hope it will as I have no plans to replace my HID input hardware any time soon.

JohnAb
Level 17
The experiences reported here have got me thinking. When I had that corrupted external NVME drive which was causing keyboard and mouse freezes, at first I was using the front panel USB C and USB A ports with it. I tried both as I had an adapter cable for both port types. The freezes didn't happen every time, but maybe 50% of the time when I plugged it in.

Then I started using a brand new external USB3.2 Gen 2 USB hub. That's when I worked out that the drive was corrupted. I reformatted and have been using the external hub without problems since (apart from another external HD that failed the other day, lol. However, I'm sure that really was just a genuine drive failure).

Anyway, perhaps those front ports caused the corruption of that external NVME drive in the first place? Mind you, I did try the external USB hub as well in the early days and got freezes then as well when I think back. The stories here seem to indicate that something is a problem. Maybe Win 11, maybe drivers or hardware, but something is going on.

Strange thing is that for about three months now, I've had no more problems with that external NVME drive. I have been using just the USB hub, not the front ports. Too many variables to diagnose it again now, but there is a mysterious issue going on that is affecting a number of us here...

There is another factor as well. When I had these problems, I made a note that changing power management options for my USB root hubs in Device Manager seemed to make things better. I didn't make a note of the exact settings, but at least this is a clue. It's a bit like allowing maximum PCIe power savings in Windows which can cause WHEA errors - at least on my machine. Maybe this little extra bit of info might help us to track down the root cause. Perhaps we can work this mess out together?

Maybe it's as simple as being related to the Device Manager power options for root USB hubs. I've just had a look and strangely, the power management options for both of my USB root hubs are set to "allow Windows to save power on this device". I expected to see that I had turned that option off, but like I said, everything has been stable for a good while now, at least with using my external USB hub. I might try the front ports again tomorrow and see what happens.

Final comment - I have a 690 board, but the problems are happening on 790 boards as well. So I guess that eliminates the chipsets (probably).
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

GGiuliano93
Level 8
Ok guys i found my problem, it was the f... CORSAIR iCUE COMMANDER CORE XT HUB, after i disconnected from usb on MB i didn't have any disconnection. F Corsair.

GiulianoTakasu wrote:
Ok guys i found my problem, it was the f... CORSAIR iCUE COMMANDER CORE XT HUB, after i disconnected from usb on MB i didn't have any disconnection. F Corsair.

I think I have a similar problem with USB headphones (Astro A40) they keeps disconnecting during playback, and I have a Corsair iCue Commander Core XT Hub.

How do you disable it? Would that disable Corsair's Fan and RGB controls?

xl_BlackHawk_lx wrote:
I think I have a similar problem with USB headphones (Astro A40) they keeps disconnecting during playback, and I have a Corsair iCue Commander Core XT Hub.

How do you disable it? Would that disable Corsair's Fan and RGB controls?

You can remove the usb header from mb, btw you will not able to change rgb, speed etc

I just bought 4x artcic p14 argb and trashed the corosair junk lol

JohnAb
Level 17
Interesting. Thanks for the update. There is some consistency here in that a faulty USB device can cause issues like these. Finding out which device has problems is the tricky part and I think you did well to identify that!
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for the update. There is some consistency here in that a faulty USB device can cause issues like these. Finding out which device has problems is the tricky part and I think you did well to identify that!

Hope helps anyone with similar problem!

Finally i can use my pc normally lol.

JohnAb
Level 17
You can just disconnect the Commander from the motherboard for a while if it's just controlling the case fans. I'd power off the PC first. At least you might get to find out if the problem disappears. Keep an eye on temperatures though, depending on your setup.

Soccerchamp43
Level 8

Having this issue but do not have iCUE.

If anyone could fix this without iCUE, please provide an update. Thanks!