cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero - Unusual Front Panel Connector Behavior

Soccerchamp43
Level 8
Case: Meshify 2; front panel port is USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C

Mobo: Z790 Hero; case cable plugged into USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C Front Panel connector (U32G2X2_C9); a 6-pin PCIe power cable is plugged into the PD_12V_PWR header

When I use a Samsung T7 Shield external drive plugged into the front port on my case, the speed is extremely slow - in the kilobytes - and quickly the transfer halts, Windows says I/O issues, it just doesn't really work. If I try the same device and cable in a motherboard USB-C port, it works just fine. Bios, FW, drivers all updated. I've reset CMOS.

Visually, nothing appears wrong with the port nor cable: https://imgur.com/a/RGrKvDJ

I posted about this online and a response that I received was from someone telling me to use a shorter cable. They linked to this post and also wrote, "Cable is not issue, but port it is. Since port cannot provide sufficiently signal and power to any cable longer than a 5cm. So little cable will fix this problem. Just try it out."

This seemed unusual to me because the cable works just fine in a rear mobo port. And unfortunately, the only other USB-C to USB-C cable that I have is about twice as long (original that's included with drive on top): https://imgur.com/a/5KFFKKI

But sure enough, when I tried that longer cable on the front port, a test transfer was successful. However, I'm still a bit confused on the behavior.

Transfer speeds:

Original shorter cable plugged into motherboard: 350+ MB/s

Original shorter cable plugged into front panel port: Kilobytes then disconnects, doesn't really work

Random longer cable plugged into motherboard: 30 MB/s

Random longer cable plugged into front panel port: 30 MB/s

I then found a forum post on the Samsung website about slow transfer speeds which states, "The builder of my computer says this is a known issue with the Fractal Case, even though Fractal does not want to readilly admit it."

Originally I thought that this may be an issue with my motherboard, but now I'm not sure. Perhaps the issue is with the drive cable or maybe it's the case cable and/or front port. Could be both? I'm just confused at this point.

Two Questions:

1) Can anyone confirm what is going on here? I guess the USB-C to USB-C cable that's included with the Samsung T7 Shield external drive is no good? But maybe there's also an issue with the case?

2) I'd like to use the front panel USB-C port, but the speed difference between that and a motherboard port is substantial. As someone previously commented that I quoted above, could a shorter cable increase the speed? I assume that included cable is no good, but maybe the other cable actually is too long? Or is the slower speed simply a function of either the front panel case port and/or the U32G2X2_C9 motherboard port?

Any other comments/information would be greater appreciated. I've spent I don't know how many hours trying to figure this out.

Thank you!
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152 wrote:
Ok,

I came across this article from ASUS on troubleshooting USB-C issues.

See if you find anything in here helpful.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042417

Thanks for that suggestion but unfortunately did not find anything.

Is there a way to check if that PD_12V_PWR is getting the proper power, independent of these discussions?

I talked to someone pretty knowledgeable in this field and they said:

"The simplest explanation based on currently available data is bad front port that cannot deliver sufficient power:
-Works for a low power 30 MB/s cable; back port supports it too.
-Breaks and crashes for a demanding 350 MB/s cable; back port supports this."

To me, that actually makes sense. If that is the situation, the issue could reside in any of the following places:

1) Bad PSU port (PCIe)
2) Bad PSU cable (going from PSU to PD_12V_PWR port)
3) Bad Mobo PD_12V_PWR port
4) Bad Mobo U32G2X2_C9 port
5) Bad case cable going from front panel to mobo U32G2X2_C9 port
6) Bad front port

When that cable that I linked from Amazon arrives tomorrow, I'm going to plug that into the U32G2X2_C9 motherboard port and attempt to transfer using both external drive cables. If the behavior is unchanged, then I should be able to rule out 5 and 6 as potential issues. If it works as intended, then it's likely either 5 and/or 6 causing the issue.

However, to get ahead of that, is there any way for me to check now that the PD_12V_PWR port is receiving power as it should be?

JohnAb
Level 17
Bear in mind that USB C cables are available in different speed ratings, they are not all the same. Look carefully at the spec of the cable when you order it. My partner ordered one recently and it was very slow. The cable I normally use is much faster! Length does matter as well, but they should have a rating as supplied. Hope this helps.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
Bear in mind that USB C cables are available in different speed ratings, they are not all the same. Look carefully at the spec of the cable when you order it. My partner ordered one recently and it was very slow. The cable I normally use is much faster! Length does matter as well, but they should have a rating as supplied. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response.

If the cable included with the drive works when plugged into the motherboard, but does not work when plugged into the case front panel, then that's probably not a cable issue, right?

Also in terms of the PD_12_PWR port, someone else stated:

Them: Front panel usb c not working has nothing to do with supplemental pcie power on motherboard
Me: Manual states, "To support 60W, else 27W will be supported."
Them: Sure but the case does not pull 60w; transfer of files does not draw 60w

So perhaps that's not actually a factor?

JohnAb
Level 17
Oh yeah, you're right of course. I should have read more carefully. So no, not the cable 🙂 You could try installing MokIChU's Thunderbolt drivers pack if you don't see a UCM Client in device manager. Might not help, not sure, but he says that UCM client drivers are not included in the Asus drivers. Easy to do, worth a try...

Also, I agree, probably not a power issue unless you are charging a power hungry device. I can plug in an external NVME drive no problem and I don't have extra power connected.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
You could try installing MokIChU's Thunderbolt drivers pack if you don't see a UCM Client in device manager. Might not help, not sure, but he says that UCM client drivers are not included in the Asus drivers. Easy to do, worth a try...

Appreciate this suggestion. I didn't notice anything off in Device Manager (screenshot in comment 7 on this post). From a quick Google Image search, it looks like a "UCM Client" in Device Manager would be under a section called, "USB Connection Managers", which I don't have. I tried the drivers pack that you referenced but unfortunately had same result. I'm not sure that I should have a "USB Connection Managers" section in my Device Manager. As someone indicated in comment 6 on this post, I believe the relevant Device Manager entry is "Intel (R) USB 3.x0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.x0 (Microsoft)", though it's not clear why I have two.

JohnAb wrote:

Also, I agree, probably not a power issue unless you are charging a power hungry device. I can plug in an external NVME drive no problem and I don't have extra power connected.

I should know more tomorrow once that cable from Amazon arrives. I very much hope this is not a motherboard issue because to be honest, with this specific situation, I don't see myself disassembling the entire build, RMAing the board, then being without a computer for who knows how many weeks.

Fractal has offered to send a replacement "USB Type C Assembly" but first I'm going to try that cable from Amazon to see if it's even the issue.

JohnAb
Level 17
One more idea, I've read that disabling Thunderbolt in BIOS, rebooting and then turning it on again has has helped some people. Again, not sure if that will help in your case...

JohnAb wrote:
One more idea, I've read that disabling Thunderbolt in BIOS, rebooting and then turning it on again has has helped some people. Again, not sure if that will help in your case...

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't heard about that and would try just about anything at this point.

Unfortunately it did not make a difference. I even tried a transfer (original drive cable) while it was disabled. Didn't work then nor after enabling again.

The USB Type-E Male to Type-C Female Cable cable should be here in the next couple of hours. So I'll know this afternoon whether the issue is related to the board (and/or perhaps PSU), or if the issue is related to the case cable and/or front port (really one in the same, but don't want to rule out something physical with the case just yet).

Happy to report that it was indeed the case cable causing the issue. The USB 3.1 Type E to USB 3.1 Type C Cable (Gen 2) cable arrived. I plugged it into the motherboard U32G2X2_C9 connector that the case cable was plugged into, and now there's no issue transferring data with the cable originally included with the drive.

Thanks for all the help!