cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero: Q-Code D7 and 98...no video signal and no boot.

Theotorm80
Level 8

Hi all, I just finished putting together a new build but I have a big problem and I've been freaking out all day.
I9 13900K
Asus Z790 Hero
Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 CL-34 Ram
Strix 4090 OC

When I turn on the PC it does not give a video signal and the Q-Codes appear:

Q7- No console input device are found

and sometimes even 98 - Console input devices connect

but it doesn't give me video signal.

I only managed to get it to start a few times (and even installing windows) but as soon as I turn off the pc and turn it on again the problem returns. I also updated the bios to the latest version but to no avail.

It seems to be a problem with the keyboard and mouse, but trying other USB ports as well doesn't change anything...it just starts when it wants (very few times).

20230411_194318.jpg

20230411_194106.jpg

I am attaching photos and videos to this address

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y060RdRgSk](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y060RdRgSk&fbclid=IwAR...)

I ask for your help because I don't know what to do anymore.

Uploaded by Francesco Viscardi on 2023-04-11.
23 REPLIES 23

JohnAb
Level 17

Have you tried the motherboard VGA port for now? Also, are the mouse and keyboard wired and also plugged direct into the motherboard?

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

well, the gpu takes out everything you plug into the motherboard, just put 1 ram in it, and the system ssd, see if it starts? if not do a bios reset. if it starts one by one, put everything back in, but after each component, try to see if it starts, and when it doesn't start, the last one you put in is the one that's faulty

I was able to boot after your suggestion! Thanks. I may have a gpu problem. Was running hours and hours of copying data from one disk to another - to setup my new computer's data hard disk from external hard disks, etc. Its possible that as the culprit. Now I need to see if I can put the HMDI cable into my MSI GPU again and have it work with Windows booted up. I can plug the monitor HDMI into my MSI GPU now (windows is booted up). I will need to see if I still have the D6 error next time I try to boot up. I don't know if this means I need to get a new GPU or not, since it works, once windows has booteed?

JohnAb
Level 17

Sorry, I meant the motherboard HDMI port

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

LF
Level 7

I have the same Q-code 98 Console input devices connect

This fault occurs occasionally, and the monitor signal is ok, but the display background is black.

I9 13900K
Asus Z790 Hero
Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 CL-34 Ram

No discrete graphic card

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

I would consider trying a different keyboard before troubleshooting further

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Nate152

Hello Theotorm80,

In the bios on the boot tab, if CSM is disabled, try enabling it.

Also, in the usb section of the bios make sure legacy support is enabled.

No signal could point to a bad monitor cable.

ATrueNewbie
Level 9

Hello,

Did you ever see what the problem is? I might be having the same issue, got almost the same setup except for a 13700K and a Z790i strix. My PC does not turn on at all, only makes a clicking sound until I disconnect the audio interface and leave the KB&M connected. Even then, it requires a long press on the boot button to boot up after making 1 click sound. 

Hello ATrueNewbie

What is the audio interface you are disconnecting?

Since it boots with it disconnected, try clearing the cmos or resetting the bios to default settings.

Try shutting down your pc, turn the psu switch off, press and hold the start button to drain any residual power then try booting up.

If it's not any better after this, the clicking and long press of the power button could be an issue with your psu, what  gpu and psu do you have?