cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero - M.2 configuration with a RTX 4090

Shreve
Level 9
Hi,

Wanted to make sure that I understood this correctly. If my goal is to have the RTX 4090 run at x16 and my M.2 drives to run at x4; I could do the following.....

1) Install 4090 into the PCIEX16(G5)_1 slot - And get x16
2) Install a boot drive Gen 4 SSD into the CPU Lane driven M.2_1 Socket - And get x4 with no impact to the gpu
3) Install a storage drive into the chipset driven M.2_2 Socket - Get gen 4 speeds with no impact to the gpu
4) Install a storage drive into the chipset driven M.2_3 Socket - Get gen 4 speeds with no impact to the gpu

This should get me all the storage that I need as I do not have any interest in using the ROG Hyper Card at this time.

I appreciate the help

37 REPLIES 37

Skhitzo
Level 8
Oh sorry, I thought it was a Z690.
But as mine isn't affected in the config you are planning then I'm sure yours won't be.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Since you stated you did not want to use the Hyper M.2 card, this thread does not have to get complicated. What you suggest should work fine.

The only configuration that seems to alter the speed of PCIex16 1, is using the PCIex16 2. If you throw the Hyper card in there, all bets are off. 😉

I might advise you to watch the temps on M.2_1 drives since the Video card can produce quite a bit of heat.

I think I will be waiting for the next version board since none of the Video cards or M.2 drives are yet PCIe 5. The jump to PCIe 4 for the Z590 boards did improve performance.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Since you stated you did not want to use the Hyper M.2 card, this thread does not have to get complicated. What you suggest should work fine.

The only configuration that seems to alter the speed of PCIex16 1, is using the PCIex16 2. If you throw the Hyper card in there, all bets are off. 😉

I might advise you to watch the temps on M.2_1 drives since the Video card can produce quite a bit of heat.

I think I will be waiting for the next version board since none of the Video cards or M.2 drives are yet PCIe 5. The jump to PCIe 4 for the Z590 boards did improve performance.

Thank you. I preordered my board so I will report back to the group if needed

Shreve wrote:

got an update for us?

I have a Z790 Hero and can confirm all 3 Slots + GPU work at full speed.

You only get the bandwidth sharing if using the additional PCIe 5.0 Card and install it to one of the PCIe 5.0 Slots, because both of them are connected to the CPU. But you should be able to install even more NVMEs without bandwith sharing if you put the Add-In-Card into the lowest PCIe-Slot which is also connected to the chipset.

akgis_
Level 10
Z690 12900k, both 4090 and NVME attached to CPU and I both working at full speed, half this thread is BS.

z790 strix gaming-e, put the m.2 in the top slot --> graphics card only ran x8

regnare1990 wrote:
z790 strix gaming-e, put the m.2 in the top slot --> graphics card only ran x8

Yes, because Strix-E connects the M.2 slots totally differently in comparison to the Z790 Hero. They're not the same motherboards. It's shown in the manual of the specific board how M.2 slots are connected and if there is bandwidth sharing.

Topic is about the Hero and none of the M.2 slots share lanes with the PCIe Slots on it.

ApolloEleven
Level 9
If we install a Hypercard at the very last PCIe slot, do we still get two additional Gen4 NVMe slots without affecting the GPU? (For a total of five gen4 NVMe SSDS)

ApolloEleven wrote:
If we install a Hypercard at the very last PCIe slot, do we still get two additional Gen4 NVMe slots without affecting the GPU? (For a total of five gen4 NVMe SSDS)

I would love to know this.
Can anyone here answer please? Thanks!

Shreve wrote:

Any news?
Have you tested yet?*