cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero + 13900K - Mobo Red Led On while stress testing (high temps)

Dread13
Level 9
Hello guys,

Got a question I cannot find an answer for. I have a 13900K paired with a Z790 ROG Hero. While running stress tests (specifically, CPU stress test from OCCT), the red led from the mobo, just below the small number indicator on the top right corner, lights up. It gets immediately removed when I stop the tests. Is this light normal to be up when the temps rise so much? We are talking around 98ºC on the CPU Package, and effectively thermal throttling.

My BIOS version is the last one published on ASUS site, the 0703.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this 🙂
33 REPLIES 33

GuzMonster wrote:
Also happens while gaming is it normal?*

Depends. Which game? And which CPU cooler are you using? Which tower and which fan configuration?

GuzMonster
Level 7
On mw2. I'm using an aio rog ryujin II cpu cooler. My case is a lian li O11 case with 9 case fans. I'm probably going to undervolt the cpu, since I can't stand the noise.
z790 maximus hero
13900k intel
4090 geforce
tforce 7200 ddr5

try remount the aio cpu block, possible it got bad contact and while at it get this first https://a.co/d/1jw89tV will gain usually 2-5 degrees as stock retainer like bend a bit cpu ihs

That seems very high for the CPU temp playing MW2. I have the 12900K, but when I play MW2 on 50% GPU power (using MSI Afterburner) I get 100 fps and the CPU never goes much above 50C. If I run the GPU on full power, I get an average 160 fps and the CPU hovers around 55C, 60C max.

I have MCE and XMPI on and just about about all other BIOS settings are on default. Perhaps the cooler does need re-mounting or you have an airlock in the water loop? Try rotating the case around a few times, ideally with the pump running if you can. If it's an airlock, that might clear it.

Another thought - do you have the AIO cooler below the highest point of the radiator with the tubes going up straight up? That's the best way to ensure that air never gets trapped. You'll find some YouTube videos that show the best way to mount an AIO. Maybe worth checking?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

GTGhigo wrote:
try remount the aio cpu block, possible it got bad contact and while at it get this first https://a.co/d/1jw89tV will gain usually 2-5 degrees as stock retainer like bend a bit cpu ihs

I'm on z790-e with same cpu. I had the exact same issue. It was a bad mount on the cpu. After I remounted (using much greater care to lower the cooler *flat*) the light stayed off and my temps dropped like crazy.

GuzMonster
Level 7
Yes It was a bad mount. But I still get core thermal throttling using cinebench at stock settings. I’m getting the frame anti bending and see if it helps.*
z790 maximus hero
13900k intel
4090 geforce
tforce 7200 ddr5

Then look this guide https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-maximus-z790-extreme-and-intel-i9-13900k-a-tuning-guide-for-b... first part is jsut notions but you want do the part where let you reduce a lot vcore voltage under load , i am now runing 1.21 without any problem in cinebench and temps at 70, 40k+ score, search in the thread "But we want to UNDERVOLT the CPU, right?" that the part you want

GTGhigo wrote:
Then look this guide https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-maximus-z790-extreme-and-intel-i9-13900k-a-tuning-guide-for-b... first part is jsut notions but you want do the part where let you reduce a lot vcore voltage under load , i am now runing 1.21 without any problem in cinebench and temps at 70, 40k+ score, search in the thread "But we want to UNDERVOLT the CPU, right?" that the part you want
Â*

i did undervolt following what is said on that thread but my cpu is not that good; I only had a moderate improvement. BTW which cooler are you using?

Noticed the red light is gone when going from bios 0088 to 0703; but the throttling problem is not solved. *
z790 maximus hero
13900k intel
4090 geforce
tforce 7200 ddr5

GuzMonster wrote:
Â*

i did undervolt following what is said on that thread but my cpu is not that good; I only had a moderate improvement. BTW which cooler are you using?

Noticed the red light is gone when going from bios 0088 to 0703; but the throttling problem is not solved. *

artic freezer II 420 but your rog ryujin 360 is comparable if not better at max speed with more flow from the pump, mine is just more silent. I get in bios cooling score 168 and cpu is sp 99

GuzMonster wrote:
Yes It was a bad mount. But I still get core thermal throttling using cinebench at stock settings. I’m getting the frame anti bending and see if it helps.*

Ahh yes. Guess I should've mentioned I am using the contact frame from TR. I never even tried the stock mount from Intel. lol oops. I'm just used to having to fix problems that exist before you even remove parts from boxes. Certainly not a perfect world.

Only other thing I should mention: After I remounted the cpu using some articsilver paste, it did throttle a bit after tho it was much better. However, the next day I guess the paste had 'settled' or whatever because it didn't throttle anymore. I ran cinebench without any throttling, so I flipped on A.I.OC and hit over 40,000 in cinebench with no throttle and no insane heat coming out of the top of my case. Seriously, it was nuts. I don't know how things didn't melt. lol.

Now if I can just get L-connect to stop randomly crashing windows, I'd be much happier.