cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero + 13900K - Mobo Red Led On while stress testing (high temps)

Dread13
Level 9
Hello guys,

Got a question I cannot find an answer for. I have a 13900K paired with a Z790 ROG Hero. While running stress tests (specifically, CPU stress test from OCCT), the red led from the mobo, just below the small number indicator on the top right corner, lights up. It gets immediately removed when I stop the tests. Is this light normal to be up when the temps rise so much? We are talking around 98ºC on the CPU Package, and effectively thermal throttling.

My BIOS version is the last one published on ASUS site, the 0703.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this 🙂
13900K@Stock with no XMP profile, z790 Maximus Hero, 6400 CL32 Kingston DDR5. Unstable as hell.
14,628 Views
33 REPLIES 33

world
Moderator
Hey Dread

It looks like based on the manual the red LED is the CPU Q-LED indicator, which suggests something CPU-related is throwing an error.

Is there an error code also on the small display when the LED is lit?


96149

I don't know, but it seems likely that it is being used a CPU temp warning or throttling indicator. I would have thought it would be documented somewhere though (maybe in the BIOS manual perhaps?). If it's just the LED and no other issues, then I suspect it's nothing to be worried about, but if you get the answer, please advise.
Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3701, MEI 2407.6.1.0, ME Firmware 16.1.32.2418, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

world wrote:
Hey Dread

It looks like based on the manual the red LED is the CPU Q-LED indicator, which suggests something CPU-related is throwing an error.

Is there an error code also on the small display when the LED is lit?


96149


Indeed that's what the manual says, but this is happening while I'm already in Windows doing stuff (stress tests to be precise), so that description is not accurate for this situation.

Hopefully someone can let us know more, this has never happened to me before to be honest.

@JohnAb that's what I think, that the CPU is throttling and the mobo indicates it, but I would like some sort of confirmation from ASUS or someone with the knowledge to let us know more.
13900K@Stock with no XMP profile, z790 Maximus Hero, 6400 CL32 Kingston DDR5. Unstable as hell.

Dread13 wrote:
that's what I think, that the CPU is throttling and the mobo indicates it


Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

This setting is enabled by default in the BIOS.

In the Menu "Monitor", the last setting is called "CPU Temperature LED Switch". The description says "The CPU_LED will light up to indicate high CPU temperature".
So if your CPU gets "too hot", the LED will light up. Be aware that with the newest BIOS versions (701 and above) the throttling already happens below 90°C. To disable it, you need to enable MCE (Multi Core enhancement).

MovedPermanently wrote:
Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

This setting is enabled by default in the BIOS.

In the Menu "Monitor", the last setting is called "CPU Temperature LED Switch". The description says "The CPU_LED will light up to indicate high CPU temperature".
So if your CPU gets "too hot", the LED will light up. Be aware that with the newest BIOS versions (701 and above) the throttling already happens below 90°C. To disable it, you need to enable MCE (Multi Core enhancement).



Great info-- thanks!

I found what you're talking about in the BIOS manual:

96157

96156

That's great, good to know for sure 😄
Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3701, MEI 2407.6.1.0, ME Firmware 16.1.32.2418, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

MovedPermanently wrote:
Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

This setting is enabled by default in the BIOS.

In the Menu "Monitor", the last setting is called "CPU Temperature LED Switch". The description says "The CPU_LED will light up to indicate high CPU temperature".
So if your CPU gets "too hot", the LED will light up. Be aware that with the newest BIOS versions (701 and above) the throttling already happens below 90°C. To disable it, you need to enable MCE (Multi Core enhancement).
But MCE isn’t sort of an overclock? Wouldn’t it make the heating worst?

Just tried gaming with MCE turned off, cpu still overheats.*
z790 maximus hero
13900k intel
4090 geforce
tforce 7200 ddr5

Dread13
Level 9
Great to know, thanks a lot for the info Moved!!!
13900K@Stock with no XMP profile, z790 Maximus Hero, 6400 CL32 Kingston DDR5. Unstable as hell.

GuzMonster
Level 7
Also happens while gaming is it normal?*
z790 maximus hero
13900k intel
4090 geforce
tforce 7200 ddr5