cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero + 13900K - Mobo Red Led On while stress testing (high temps)

Dread13
Level 9
Hello guys,

Got a question I cannot find an answer for. I have a 13900K paired with a Z790 ROG Hero. While running stress tests (specifically, CPU stress test from OCCT), the red led from the mobo, just below the small number indicator on the top right corner, lights up. It gets immediately removed when I stop the tests. Is this light normal to be up when the temps rise so much? We are talking around 98ºC on the CPU Package, and effectively thermal throttling.

My BIOS version is the last one published on ASUS site, the 0703.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this 🙂
33 REPLIES 33

Bukov. wrote:
Ahh yes. Guess I should've mentioned I am using the contact frame from TR. I never even tried the stock mount from Intel. lol oops. I'm just used to having to fix problems that exist before you even remove parts from boxes. Certainly not a perfect world.

Only other thing I should mention: After I remounted the cpu using some articsilver paste, it did throttle a bit after tho it was much better. However, the next day I guess the paste had 'settled' or whatever because it didn't throttle anymore. I ran cinebench without any throttling, so I flipped on A.I.OC and hit over 40,000 in cinebench with no throttle and no insane heat coming out of the top of my case. Seriously, it was nuts. I don't know how things didn't melt. lol.

Now if I can just get L-connect to stop randomly crashing windows, I'd be much happier.

Which cooler are you using?
z790 maximus hero
13900k intel
4090 geforce
tforce 7200 ddr5

GuzMonster wrote:
Which cooler are you using?

It's Lian Li's Galahad 360 but with their Infinity fans instead of the stock ones. Interestingly perhaps, the motherboard AI rated this setup at like 162, which is outside and higher than the range they give for AIO's, which was like 130-150 or something. Not that I'm complaining...think 170 was where custom water territory begins.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Did you repaste the CPU?

I’d recommend using the thermal Grizzly frame first and report back.*
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Did you repaste the CPU?

I’d recommend using the thermal Grizzly frame first and report back.*

Caution with this, the thermal grizzly contact frame did NOT work with my z790 Hero MOBO, it just does not fit correctly. I don't know if it is something that happens with every z790 board or just some ASUS boards.

Dread13 wrote:
Caution with this, the thermal grizzly contact frame did NOT work with my z790 Hero MOBO, it just does not fit correctly. I don't know if it is something that happens with every z790 board or just some ASUS boards.

Can you elaborate on why you're unable to fit the frame? The contact frame is designed to fit the stock mounting holes for the retention bracket, I've not had any issues on the Z790 Apex.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

cx-ray
Level 12
Hi, can you describe what to specifically lookout for? I got a contact frame coming tomorrow and rather not screw up the mobo socket.

Thanks.

cx-ray wrote:
Hi, can you describe what to specifically lookout for? I got a contact frame coming tomorrow and rather not screw up the mobo socket.

Thanks.

I tried using the grizzly one and it is not tall enough to reach the base of the mobo, it floats over it when put over the CPU mount platform (dunno how to call it :P). I've read the thermalright can work well enough, but I could not be able to fit the grizzly one, had to return it.

Dread13 wrote:
I tried using the grizzly one and it is not tall enough to reach the base of the mobo, it floats over it when put over the CPU mount platform (dunno how to call it :P). I've read the thermalright can work well enough, but I could not be able to fit the grizzly one, had to return it.

Hi, the TG frame is designed to float and not bottom out on the motherboard. I did find it rather problematic to install however. On the Z790 Apex the ILM screws are on the short side. I had to push down on the contact frame for the screws to engage the threads. If they had included screws that were just 0.5mm longer it would have been easy to install.

GuzMonster
Level 7
My cpu has an sp of 101 and the cooler 151 pts.

I ordered the frame someone recommended in this thread:

*Thermalright CPU Contact Frame Anti-Bending Buckle for LGA 1700 Retrofit Kit, 17XX-BCF Bracket Intel12 Generation,Black https://a.co/d/dpr4J8M
z790 maximus hero
13900k intel
4090 geforce
tforce 7200 ddr5

watch this part also for the thermalright for the force to apply for tighten the screws https://youtu.be/zHXZMtWOVJ4?t=440