cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero - 128 GB Ram Problem

korayus
Level 7
Hi,
I have Asus Z790 Hero Mother board with 4 x 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 5600 Mhz ram ( CMH64GX5M2B5600C36 )
I can use two of them at 5600 Mhz without any problem. Unfortunately I havent manage to run 4 x 32 GB ram at 5600 MHZ 😞
I tryied BIOS 0703, 813 and the latest 816 with no luck. Each time I reset the bios to optimised default. Tried XMP 1 profile and still no luck.
Could you anybody give me advise that what should I do to get 5600 Mhz with 128 GB ram setup?
Thanks in advance.
Koray
17 REPLIES 17

I have the below running at 4400MT/s on a 790 HERO with an XMP II profile. Stable for multiple weeks.

CORSAIR CMH192GX5M4B5200C38 4x 48GB
ASUS ROG Z790 Maximus Hero / Intel 13900K / NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE / CORSAIR CMH192GX5M4B5200C38 4x 48GB

caqo1971
Level 10

MSI, and AORUS boards started to support Corsair 4 memory socket for 4800, and 5600 MHz. ASUS is more slow on testing all the modules out there and give them compatibility.

ahfoo
Level 13

Untill Asus test and new update BIOS for RAM combability, you probably need to step down your memory frequency. 

3DG
Level 10

Hello ASUS friends! I leave here my report on using 4 memory sticks:

Information:
MB ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 HERO / BIOS 2204
CORSAIR DDR5 MEM CMK64GX5M2B5200C40 / 1° KIT Bought 2x32GB 4000MHZ
CORSAIR DDR5 MEM CMK64GX5M2B5200C40 / 2° KIT Bought 2x32GB 4800MHZ
Note: Memories purchased with the same code CMK64GX5M2B5200C40, but the 2° Kit came with a different clock (I thought I would have problems).

Tests:
With the 1st KIT or the 2nd KIT (using 64GB) + XMP I the memories work perfectly without errors at 5200MHZ.
With the 1st KIT + 2nd KIT + XMP I the memories show error in the MemTest86 memory tests and crash and Blue Screen in Windows with tests in CinebenchR23.

Error-free but unacceptable solution:
Use 1st KIT + 2nd KIT without XMP I activated, full test of MemTest86 + CinebenchR23 without errors (memories working at 4000MHZ) (I couldn't accept that).

Testing for new solutions:
I tried everything to get them to work the way I wanted them to, and the starting point was watching Bartman’s Bits video: "Intel’s DDR5 problem resolved!"

I made several attempts with different voltages and latencies:

1st Test: 1.20000v + Latency 34-34-34-63 = Immediate Blue Screen to CinebenchR23 tests, it froze with a score of 54434pts (laughs, I have a screenshot to prove it). Tests in Bios with MemTest86 with dozens of errors from them at the beginning of the tests.

2nd Test: 1.25000v + Latency 40-40-40-77, Windows without errors, Cinebench R23 made 27193pts without errors, Tests in Bios with MemTest86 with errors after 2 minutes, showed 4 errors.

3rd Test: 1.27500v + Latency 40-40-40-77, Windows without errors, Cinebench R23 made 27257pts without errors, Tests in Bios with MemTest86 with errors after 2 minutes, showed 1 errors.

OBS.: With the amounts of errors decreasing with the increase in voltage, I think that with 1.3v it would be a valid test, but because I have no experience as far as I could safely take this and with my patience running out, I thought it better do not move forward and stop here. On the intel website they suggest a maximum of 4 sticks at 4800MHZ.

4th Test, what worked: I followed part of the steps in the Bartman’s Bits video, more information from a good friend and the greatest computer technology connoisseur I know, and a little bit of my “instinct”:
1. I entered the BIOS, enabled XMP II, then enabled XMP I, I did this to do a " data erase and everything goes back to standard XMP, I like it and feel safe at 1.25V voltages.
2. Since I have two kits, one at 4000MHZ and the other at 4800MHZ, my instinct led me to choose 4800MHZ as the target point.
3. On the same Extreme Tweaker screen, where I choose XMP I, just below there is a field written DRAM Frequency and there it was DDR5-5200MHz (XMP I standard), so I changed it to DDR5-4800MHz. Just below where the DRAM VDD and VDDQ voltages are, which by default are XMP I at 1.25000v, I left it that way.
4. I went into the option, just below these voltages under Advanced Memory Voltages and changed PMIC Voltages to By per PMIC as indicated by Bartman’s Bits.
5. I saved this in the BIOS, reset it and the computer took a little less time to boot, it used to take several minutes, is this part of “learning the Bios?”.
6. Then I went to the tests: First test in the Bios with MemTest86, I let it do the complete step 1 of 4, it took 39:48 minutes and ZERO ERROR. I entered Windows, tested with Cinebench R23, scored 26901pts and ZERO ERROR too. I did tests with complex programs that I use and ZERO ERRORS too!

Conclusions and choices:
Without ASUS having a stable BIOS and without manufacturers having kits with 4 sticks with the same speeds, it is totally unsafe to invest in this new DDR5 technology, if you waste a lot of time, money and stress, it is more worthwhile to have a kit with 64GB running at 5600MHZ than having 128GB running at 4800MHZ (attention here: if everything works out ok) and still be stressing the memory controller a lot. In short, I decided to stick with 2x 32GB running at 5600MHZ.

What I expect:
I expect a decent BIOS update from ASUS as is the 2204, I don't trust this 2305 and I hope the memory makers release kits with 4 identical 32GB modules with at least 4800MHZ, so I'll buy it, before that I'm fine and steady as I am.

Appeal:
@asus come on, before you desperately launch new products, improve what we already have and hire this MoKiChU to be the Drivers manager please and if you want someone to manage support I have the name and contact, come on @asus!! !

Thanks to these great friends who always help us here on the forum, without them @asus you would be in big legal trouble! We still believe, come on @asus!!!

JoJetSki
Level 7

Hey guys,  at first I tried to run two Kingston Fury 64 gig ram kits (which were on the QVL).  I was able to only get one kit to work reliably.  Then I checked the QVL again and didn't realize I needed to scroll in the filter to find the 128 gig kits, which happen to be Kingston again as the only currently approved vendor.

So I returned the 2 64gig kits and I purchased a Kingston KF552C40BBK4-128 which is on the Asus QVL.  I am running XMP-1 at 5200mhz.  At first I did have some problems with trying to export/render videos out of Adobe Premier (which I didn't have using a 64 gig kit by itself) but once I switched to the Nvidia Studio Driver from the Game Ready driver my system has become stable and able to work no problem.  Yes I still play games on my RTX 3080 TI but switching to the studio driver fixed some stability issues I was having using the 128 gig kit.

So if you stick with the QVL and order an actual 128 gig kit you should be able to work no problem.

That's great and good news, thank you so much @JoJetSki 
I would like to register here, if this is exactly the kit, because in the near future I will be buying/importing them to my country:

SKU: KF552C40BBK4-128 \ 4 x 32GB \ DDR5-5200
JEDEC: DDR5-4800 CL40-39-39 a 1.1V
XMP: DDR5-5200 CL40-40-40 a 1.25V
https://www.kingstonstore.com.br/collections/memoria-hyperx/products/kf552c40bbk4-128

Some questions for you:
1. What is your MB and which BIOS version are you using with these memories?
2. What is the setting you made in the BIOS, just activated XMP I, correct? I did it with this 2x32\64BG kit from Corsair and it works great.
3. Did you run a complete MemTest86 test through the BIOS on these memories?
4. I don't play games, but I work with 3D and renderings, I always use Drive Studio, so after this change I should stay with it correct?

No rush to answer, in your time ok, thanks for your time and for the report here, I'm very happy for you and I'm sure it will help many here, thank you my friend! 🙂

Some questions for you:
1. What is your MB and which BIOS version are you using with these memories? 

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO  0904 dated 3/29/2023

2. What is the setting you made in the BIOS, just activated XMP I, correct? I did it with this 2x32\64BG kit from Corsair and it works great.  Yes I just chose XMP 1
3. Did you run a complete MemTest86 test through the BIOS on these memories?  I ran the memtest86 for about 40 minutes with no errors but I can't remember if it completed a whole pass or not.  After 40 minutes of running with no errors I click out.
4. I don't play games, but I work with 3D and renderings, I always use Drive Studio, so after this change I should stay with it correct?  Premiere renderings were crashing with the Game Ready Driver but after I switched to the Studio Driver my renders have worked without any problem since (I have done several 2 hour video renders with no issues).

ahfoo
Level 13

For Adobe Premier to work flawlessly, you are only advice to use Nvidia Studio driver.  Whenever I switch to games driver the problems come back again in Adobe Premier.